Remy hair/acid bath

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, no cuticle, no colour retention. Yeah I believe if it didn't have cuticles it'd be very damaged. I think they do coat it in silicone though, just with the cuticles intact. If they coat it in silicone it doesn't matter whether it's cuticle correct or not because the cuticles can't catch on each other and get tangled because there's a smooth silicone to protect them.

So remy is nothing to do with the presence of cuticles, it does just mean they're facing the same way.

Bit of a myth about stripping the cuticles then.

I've myself bought what's been sold to me as Remy hair for it to become unmanageable after a few weeks. Years ago before I became a part of the industry & was just a customer. So I'm thinking could this have been non Remy hair being sold as Remy? I see what your saying about it holding the colour but it's the cortex that holds the colour & the cuticle that protects so I'm not entirely sure what happens to the colour if the cuticles are striped away it prob wouldn't hold. Silicone spray that is interesting will have to look that one up. I have seen "bleach baths" being using to restore extensions ?

No, never put bleach near extensions, just asking for trouble there.

If i had one bad batch years ago I wouldn't start to wonder if all suppliers are selling none remy hair all of the time.

The noticeable difference in quality your seeing with the russian hair is probably because it's not as processed?

No, never put bleach near extensions, just asking for trouble there.

If i had one bad batch years ago I wouldn't start to wonder if all suppliers are selling none remy hair all of the time.

The noticeable difference in quality your seeing with the russian hair is probably because it's not as processed?

It wasn't a bad batch, it was the same every time for 3years I'd just buy new hair every 6-8weeks I just thought it was normal then haha

It wasn't a bad batch, it was the same every time for 3years I'd just buy new hair every 6-8weeks I just thought it was normal then haha

What's different now then? Did this only happen before you qualified? Or are you using different hair now?

So remy is nothing to do with the presence of cuticles, it does just mean they're facing the same way.

Bit of a myth about stripping the cuticles then.

Remy is the type of hair it used to mean human hair of quality but now everyone calls their hair remy, cuticle correct means all the cuticles face down as they do on a human head, matting occurs when cuticles catch onto each other so if there were no cuticles it wouldn't be able to matt, on good condition hair all the cuticles lay flat down like roof tiles overlapping each other that's what reflects shine, damaged hair dosent shine because the cuticles are usually rough and reflect the light in all different directions, u can test the cuticles by holding a strand by the end and running your finger upwards towards the root, if it's smooth it's good condition and if it's rough it's in bad condition hence why we can't get colour to hold onto knackered hair because the cuticles are all over the place

Remy is the type of hair it used to mean human hair of quality but now everyone calls their hair remy, cuticle correct means all the cuticles face down as they do on a human head, matting occurs when cuticles catch onto each other so if there were no cuticles it wouldn't be able to matt, on good condition hair all the cuticles lay flat down like roof tiles overlapping each other that's what reflects shine, damaged hair dosent shine because the cuticles are usually rough and reflect the light in all different directions, u can test the cuticles by holding a strand by the end and running your finger upwards towards the root, if it's smooth it's good condition and if it's rough it's in bad condition hence why we can't get colour to hold onto knackered hair because the cuticles are all over the place

I see what your saying, if the hair had no cuticles & therefore couldn't matt would this not be a benefit? & if the matting is caused by cuticles catching would this be caused by not being cuticle correct? Oh yes use diffent hair now & get much longer

I see what your saying, if the hair had no cuticles & therefore couldn't matt would this not be a benefit? & if the matting is caused by cuticles catching would this be caused by not being cuticle correct? Oh yes use diffent hair now & get much longer

I don't think the cuticles are stripped, as cam said the hair would be knackered.

I really do think hair extensions matt because their not cuticle correct all the time, I've watched how they make them and unless they had a microscope they wouldn't be able to tell which way the cuticle is, I saw a video on the process they go through the other day and was shocked at how many times the hair was moved in it's very first moments at the factory! 🙈 no hair without cuticles isn't a benefit it's the cuticles that make hair shiny, give it strength, control water intake and protect the cortex (where the colour goes) and medulla, if there were no cuticles at all you wouldn't be able to straighten or use heat because it would just snap and break, the amount of layers of cuticle scales in different types of hair will affect the quality too I.e Asian hair has around 12 layers of cuticles ( so twelve layers of tiles before the cortex) & Caucasian has much less (I think that's why we buy Indian hair because it's thicker and stronger & lasts longer, it's not as thick as Chinese hair but not as thin as Caucasian)

I really do think hair extensions matt because their not cuticle correct all the time, I've watched how they make them and unless they had a microscope they wouldn't be able to tell which way the cuticle is, I saw a video on the process they go through the other day and was shocked at how many times the hair was moved in it's very first moments at the factory! 🙈 no hair without cuticles isn't a benefit it's the cuticles that make hair shiny, give it strength, control water intake and protect the cortex (where the colour goes) and medulla, if there were no cuticles at all you wouldn't be able to straighten or use heat because it would just snap and break, the amount of layers of cuticle scales in different types of hair will affect the quality too I.e Asian hair has around 12 layers of cuticles ( so twelve layers of tiles before the cortex) & Caucasian has much less (I think that's why we buy Indian hair because it's thicker and stronger & lasts longer, it's not as thick as Chinese hair but not as thin as Caucasian)

Yep got it! Thanks that's really cleared up my confusion haha. So it's mainly a cuticle correct issue, yes I have wondered that also, about how they ensure all the cuticles are facing the same way! I think this is why I do like the Russian straight of the pony from one donor I know it's correct then

There's s good video by great lengths showing how the hair is processed. It shows even dark colours having "acid bath" or "bleach bath" causing them to be very light then dyed darker to make a colour 4! Everyone was commenting how silly it was to lighten the hair so much when it's end colour was a 4. If I can find the video I'll post it. It shows how they mix the different hair colours to create a multi tonal effect without mixing up the cuticle direction.

It looks easy enough to keep the cuticles the same way judging by the great lengths video. I would say anyone selling you hair that wasn't cuticle correct would know it wasn't, and coats with a lot of silicone to try and mask this.

None cuticle correct hair is brush or waste hair, and hair taken from donors is carefully handled so the cuticles remain in the correct directions. This should be true for Chinese, Indian or russian hair. From the videos I have watched there doesn't seem to be any excuse for mixing the cuticles unless the hair wasn't collected from donors to start with (waste hair from brushes ect)

I saw this video of the tontra not sure I spelt that correct but where they sacrifice the hair to the temple shaving the heads & all the hair gets dumped in a big bucket which is then taken to the factory. It didn't come across a great way to ensure all the cuticles are correct seems like a lot of sorting, unless they have some special way they do this

I saw this video of the tontra not sure I spelt that correct but where they sacrifice the hair to the temple shaving the heads & all the hair gets dumped in a big bucket which is then taken to the factory. It didn't come across a great way to ensure all the cuticles are correct seems like a lot of sorting, unless they have some special way they do this

If that was common practise there would be a lot of none cuticle correct Indian hair. Maybe it was just that temple doing it that way? No ones going to pick through a bucket of hair one strand at a time.

They split the hair into 4 quarters and keep them tied up so the when they shave it, it's in a ponytail. They do actually sit there and pick any white hairs out.

They split the hair into 4 quarters and keep them tied up so the when they shave it, it's in a ponytail. They do actually sit there and pick any white hairs out.

Yes I know they pick white hairs out but I meant surely they couldn't tell which way all the cuticles were facing if the hair hadn't been sectioned into 4 pony tails like you described.

Oh I didn't see that, which would make more sense I'll have to watch again

Yes I know they pick white hairs out but I meant surely they couldn't tell which way all the cuticles were facing if the hair hadn't been sectioned into 4 pony tails like you described.

Well that would be a lengthy process😂

Coincidence, just seen Miss Lady Locks certified russian slavic hair now in stock at Paul's Hair World. It's Miss Lady Locks that has the silicone spray to make your extensions "like new".

Coincidence, just seen Miss Lady Locks certified russian slavic hair now in stock at Paul's Hair World. It's Miss Lady Locks that has the silicone spray to make your extensions "like new".

Don't think it's russian hair then?

I wouldn't have any reason to state that. Just interesting that they market a silicone spray for the russian hair and we had been discussing it's use with remy and none remy extensions.

Can't be much profit once paid Paul's hair world a cut aswell.

Latest posts

Back