Renting a room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S4r4H12

Reaction score
I am a self employed beautician within a hair salon. I’ve been here for just over a year now. When I started out I was paying £20 a day. Now I’m busier it’s gone up to £35 a day. When I started I had no agreement with the hairdresser, it was fairly casual I just started working and that how it seems to have carried on. Recently I have been taking my diary home as I get a lot of messages off Facebook/Instagram and text message because when clients ring the salon they can’t get through due to people being busy.

So yesterday the hairdresser that I rent the room from has told me that I am no longer allowed to take my diary home because if a client walks in and I’m not here they can’t book an appointment. I suggested having cards with my number on for her to pass on to clients however she says she isn’t prepared to do this as it’s unprofessional. She is now also saying that I’m not allowed to come and go as I please, I should be working the times on the front of the shop and that she doesn’t want me to work late because she doesn’t know who I’m bringing into the salon. Although she’s allowed to work late because it’s her salon. She’s also under the impression that I work for her and that I’m self employed under her business.

Just looking for some advice, does anyone else run their business like this? It’s my first time renting a room and this is not how I imagined being self employed, I see working for myself being that I have the freedom to run my business I see fit and if I want to leave early or come in late I should be able to?

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/

Print off a copy of the guidelines highlighting the relevant sections.

Unfortunately, it’s a common problem. A lot of salon owners struggle to accept that they are acting just as a landlord and have no authority to dictate to you how you should run your business. If they want to set restrictions and conditions, they have to employ someone. It’s as simple as that.

She’s also under the impression that I work for her and that I’m self employed under her business.

There’s no such thing. You should be taking your own monies and paying her separately. Your client payments must not go through her till.
HMRC actively prosecute salon owners that try to fudge the situation.

Also, with regards to your diary, you need to keep ownership as unless your clients have given express permission to share their details with the salon owner, you could be in breach of GDPR 2018 (data protection regulations).

Thank you so much, I was doubting myself because she was telling me it’s unprofessional if they can’t book through her in the salon. Glad to know that I am right in what I’m saying to her!

Latest posts

Back