Renting space in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdidi

Reaction score
Hi all

I have finally taken the plunge and left my employer who I had disagreements with. Anyways I was calling around today to inquire about job vacancies and stumbled upon a salon in the same hight street as my previous employer. Its two premises next to each other, one being the hairdressers and the other one the salon itself. In the salon they already have a nail tech but no therapist. They operate on self employed basis and are desperate for someone as they haven't had a therapist there for a few weeks now. The rent is £150 per week and they explained that I'd have to provide all my own equipment and products. I am very interested in this, however I am not sure what the going rate seems to be for renting space in a salon. So I was just wandering if I can get some advice from those of you who have been in this industry longer than me. I only graduated in August and was with my previous employer for 4 weeks. I believe that if I am enthusiastic enough I can make it work knowing that it won't be easy at first obviously. However, not sure about the £150 per week rent, is it too much or not.

To me, it sounds expensive, especially as you are providing all your own equipment and products, that's a big outlay.

I guess it depends on your area and how much business you will actually get from day 1. Is there a customer base waiting for a therapist?

Sounds like you are in a good position to negotiate.

Good luck.

sounds alot of money to me, just think of how many treatments you would have to do just to cover that, then the price of equipment and products.

I don't think there is a customer base as the lady I spoke with asked me if I did which I don't. Although I am yet to find out when the owner give me a call which should be tomorrow. It is based in a smallish town called Borehamwood in Herts.

If there is no customer base and you have to provide everything.....ask about advertising too, it sounds like a bit of a raw deal to me.....the weekly rent on my whole (small) salon on a suburban High Street was less than she is asking you to pay.

Just approach it with caution, ask questions, as you don't need to get yourself into something you are stuck with and potentially out of pocket as a result.

Good luck.

Hi,

£150 sounds a lot to me, I have a salon in Croxley green not that far from you. I would see if you could negotiate a deal with them, by the time you buy all your products and that could be expensive.

It also takes a long time to build a client base, so you could be out of pocket for some time,

Have a chat with the owner, i am sure if they are that desperate they will meet in the middle.

Good Luck x

Try to negotiate a 3 monthly incline... that shows you are prepared to stay for the long run.

That's £7,800 per year rent. Seems a lot to me especially if there is no client base as yet.

Hi,
I recently put a thread on about my situaution which was like this. I was offered a room for £150 per week for first 3 months then £200 per week after! Everyone said to me that was too much. Although i negotiated and put it to £150 all the time. My salon is in quite a nice area though and i do have my own client base to start off so im not too worried. If you havn't got any clients yet you should get her to give you a lower price to start you off and give you a chance.

sarah x

Latest posts

Back