Replacing toenails/tips-help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissSassy

Pédicure Diplômée - Pédi Suisse
Reaction score
Hello geeks,

I'm hoping you can ladies can help me please. I have been contacted by a woman who has both halves of her big toenails missing which need re-doing. She had tips put onto them in the summer but they now need replacing.

I've never done this before but understand in principle what I need to do. Remove existing tip - can I file as much as possible, or can I soak it off? I have no idea about that part. She doesn't have any product on the nails - just the tip, (and perhaps polish) as far as I understand.
Attach new tip - there's enough existing nail plate to adhere a tip onto, so I need to file down the natural nail to make it smooth enough to adhere a new tip to (according to her).

Any advice would be really welcome as this is unknown territory for me and I want to get it 100% right.

Thanks very much :biggrin:

Hello geeks,

I'm hoping you can ladies can help me please. I have been contacted by a woman who has both halves of her big toenails missing which need re-doing. She had tips put onto them in the summer but they now need replacing.

I've never done this before but understand in principle what I need to do. Remove existing tip - can I file as much as possible, or can I soak it off? I have no idea about that part. She doesn't have any product on the nails - just the tip, (and perhaps polish) as far as I understand.
Attach new tip - there's enough existing nail plate to adhere a tip onto, so I need to file down the natural nail to make it smooth enough to adhere a new tip to (according to her).

Any advice would be really welcome as this is unknown territory for me and I want to get it 100% right.
Thanks very much :biggrin:

I'm sure you will be able to see what needs to be done when you see the toes. Treat them just like any other nails. If there is any product left then wrap it off in the usual way with foil and a pad soaked in acetone, then prep and apply a tip in the usual way or you can sculpt a false nail onto the existing nail.

Treat it as Geeg says, you can't go past Poppits for toes .....
toe02.jpg

I'm sure you will be able to see what needs to be done when you see the toes. Treat them just like any other nails. If there is any product left then wrap it off in the usual way with foil and a pad soaked in acetone, then prep and apply a tip in the usual way or you can sculpt a false nail onto the existing nail.

Thanks for the reply Geeg. OK, just like any other nail... You're right that it will be clear once I see them. I'm just unsure of how it's been done as she said she has no gels on. Surely you can't apply a tip without some sort of product over it?
She doesn't like Shellac (what?!!) so I guess just polish.

I was completely honest with her explaining I've not done it before (but am very enthusiastic for the challenge) and she's happy for me to try.

Thanks again :)

Treat it as Geeg says, you can't go past Poppits for toes .....
toe02.jpg

That's an amazing transformation! I would be thrilled if I could do that. Thanks for showing the pic. I'm really sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by Poppits?? What am I missing?

Thanks again for the inspiring picture :biggrin:

Poppits are basically thin full nails that look like tips but have no well and have an extreme C curve.
You fill in the Poppit with product, turn it over and place on the nail and once the product is set, you can pop the Poppit off and you have a fully formed nail with apex already built in and shine on top.

If you go to You Tube and check out Nailzoo's channel, Carl does a great video showing how he uses a Poppit on his own nail and if my memory serves me well, he also has another video where he shows the transformation of a client with a thumb nail that has suffered a burn injury and he shows how wonderful it looks when he uses a Poppit.

I'm sure if I'm wrong about any of this, Carl will pop in and correct me:)

Poppits are basically thin full nails that look like tips but have no well and have an extreme C curve.
You fill in the Poppit with product, turn it over and place on the nail and once the product is set, you can pop the Poppit off and you have a fully formed nail with apex already built in and shine on top.

If you go to You Tube and check out Nailzoo's channel, Carl does a great video showing how he uses a Poppit on his own nail and if my memory serves me well, he also has another video where he shows the transformation of a client with a thumb nail that has suffered a burn injury and he shows how wonderful it looks when he uses a Poppit.

I'm sure if I'm wrong about any of this, Carl will pop in and correct me:)

Thank you Wooshka (love that name btw!). It seems that I have some surfing to do on Youtube! I only have regular tips but will do my best.

Cheers :)

Latest posts

Back