Request from a client to buy a bottle of Shellac just for her use

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helencowleard

Reaction score
A client has requested I order a bottle of Shellac for her use only. She will pay the cost of the bottle but if so what would I then charge her for the pep & application? Has anyone done this for clients before? :confused:

Perfectly Pampered Hands

First of all, why has your client requested a bottle for her own use?

I honestly cannot think of a single reason why a client would need their own personal bottle but if she wants it for home use then see if there is a colour match in vinylux xxxx

It's an odd request and sort of pointless as you wouldn't have separate base and top coat, prep solutions, tools etc. Why does she want her own bottle?

Is she worried about hygiene?? It's an odd request.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If it stays with you then there is no harm. Some people do get funny with the fact the brush from the polish is used on others people's nails.

Probably she would want to take it home, we all know you need all the equipment to go with it and ultimately this is for professional use (at the moment) but you will still get the professionals who buy these products legitimately but sell to friends, they have nothing to lose here. Not sure how you could police this to prevent this happening.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Is it a limited addition colour? I've had this when a client has loved a limited edition before x

Yes, I've had a client offer to buy a colour that I didn't have at that time xx

A client has requested I order a bottle of Shellac for her use only. She will pay the cost of the bottle but if so what would I then charge her for the pep & application? Has anyone done this for clients before? :confused:

Perfectly Pampered Hands
I'm personally not sure clients should know how much we pay for these things??? If she wants a specific colour then I would do that for a client anyway, but not for her sole use.

Very difficult situation, I think her previous nail tech used to get stuff for her. She wouldnt keep the bottle, I would. I dont really like the idea though as how would I go about calculating what to charge her once shes bought the colour??? And as someone else said she'd then know the cost of the product! Awkward :confused:

Perfectly Pampered Hands

I had lots of clients do this with regular polish in the past. I see no harm in it as long as it stays at the salon, not going home with her. As it's not a retail item I wouldn't mark it up from cost price. Let her know the cost from the supplier, add it to the cost of her next shellac mani, then label it with her name and store it for her between appointments. You could take a couple dollars off her mani while she's using up her bottle, but keep in mind you're still using your base & top coats.

If it's because she wants a colour you don't stock I'd just get it in. If she wants a bottle just for her use for hygiene reasons I'd talk her through your hygiene procedures and the likelihood of any cross contamination.

Could you not just order the bottle and pay for it yourself. Charge her as normal? If she ever went elsewhere you would just use the bottle as normal on other clients.

What are her reasons for requesting this? Remind her she is paying for your time more than rhe product if she is doing it to try to get a cheap treatment.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Think it may well be a cost reduction thing. Shes probably hoping it'll end up being much cheaper but its just put me in an awkward position :confused:

Perfectly Pampered Hands

if you're uncomfortable with it then don't do it. Just tell her that you're sorry Shellac is a professional only product but you'd be happy to order in any colour she'd like that you do not currently stock.

Think it may well be a cost reduction thing. Shes probably hoping it'll end up being much cheaper but its just put me in an awkward position :confused:

Perfectly Pampered Hands

Say no for this reason, clients should never barter with you to reduce your fees!

Personally I would just order the colour she wants, make sure it's always in stock and charge her normally!!

As already mentioned, there is no harm in purchasing the colour in for her, put her name on it and it aside for use on her.

However, this issue for me would be... is this the only colour she intends to use otherwise she may expect you to do it for her other colour choices? As an untrained and certified nail therapist, she is not entitled to purchase her own bottle of Shellac and yes, she would then know what you paid for it. I also do not know why she wants her own colour but not base and top coat.

I would simply but politely say sorry, but not possible. You are a trained therapist, this is what you stock and whilst you can order a colour for her, it will not be for use on her only.

Perfectly Pampered Hands

If you know this to be the case then she is dictating your prices which is a firm no.

If it's an issue with sharing, then talk to her about how cross infection will not happen as nasties cannot survive within the product.

People will always tell you what others used to do for them to get what they want. You will never know if it is true and should not be swayed away from how you run your business.

Thank you ladies, you are right I should not let anybody dictate to ME how I run MY OWN business! This is why I set up my own business so I can be my own boss & NOT be told what to do by others. I need to be assertive & not be push into things im not comfortable with. :rolleyes:
Thanks all

Perfectly Pampered Hands

Latest posts

Back