Requesting an answer for my daughter's hair question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victoriabar

Reaction score
Hi hair geeks,
As the title says I'm just looking for an answer to my daughters question about hair.

She recently bought herself some 100% human hair extensions with her birthday money, she requested them in a honey blonde and they came through in a mixed batch of blonde colours.

She home bleached her hair to a lighter colour to match the match her extensions as best she could then bought a Dimensions hair colour (stargazer type stuff) poppy red.
She then dyed both her hair and the extensions.

Her own hair is a fab n funky bright red and was from as soon as it was first put on but the extensions are a diff kettle of fish. ..

Initially when they were washed n towel dried they smelt like wet dog n not human like at all, not even felt like human hair.. The dye tho seemed to sit on the top of many strands and soaked onto others like it did her own hair but overall the coverage looked good enough to all come out red n funky.

When they were rinsed the colour just drained from many leaving them the same colour they started or a pale pinky colour, Infact there are so few bright red strands that it actually looks like a dull grey pink if that makes sense??

Her question is would real hair extensions do this?

Please no flaming for not buying better or only getting what you pay for, she's 14 and doing what most teens do and experimenting on the cheap ;)

Hi hair geeks,
As the title says I'm just looking for an answer to my daughters question about hair.

She recently bought herself some 100% human hair extensions with her birthday money, she requested them in a honey blonde and they came through in a mixed batch of blonde colours.

She home bleached her hair to a lighter colour to match the match her extensions as best she could then bought a Dimensions hair colour (stargazer type stuff) poppy red.
She then dyed both her hair and the extensions.

Her own hair is a fab n funky bright red and was from as soon as it was first put on but the extensions are a diff kettle of fish. ..

Initially when they were washed n towel dried they smelt like wet dog n not human like at all, not even felt like human hair.. The dye tho seemed to sit on the top of many strands and soaked onto others like it did her own hair but overall the coverage looked good enough to all come out red n funky.

When they were rinsed the colour just drained from many leaving them the same colour they started or a pale pinky colour, Infact there are so few bright red strands that it actually looks like a dull grey pink if that makes sense??

Her question is would real hair extensions do this?

Please no flaming for not buying better or only getting what you pay for, she's 14 and doing what most teens do and experimenting on the cheap ;)

Hi you! Of course it is hard to advice when I have not seen hair and also if box hair dye was used as this is always tricky.

Usually human hair should take the colour more than what you described. It can sometimes take slightly different from her natural hair as they can be different textures but it should still take the dye. I've dyed plenty of clients hair extensions red.

In my opinion it does sound like it can be mixed hair or lower grade hair that is not 100% human hair but rather mixed with synthetic hair. Synthetic hair does not take to dye like human hair or even at all. The wet dog smell youre describing might very well be so too! Another option is that it is human hair but poor quality that has been through an acid wash to thin it to look more like our texture and then heavily coated in silicone and other solutions. This could make the dye not work properly. But since you said only some strands turned bright red leaving them to appear a pinky colour overall I would think that it is human hair mixed with other hair.

As I said, really hard to tell if I can't see the hair myself and as with everything you do get what you pay for. Most extension companies would not be responsible if you dye their hair anyhow so even if you contact them they wouldn't be much help. Cheap hair extensions are collected from brushes, mixed up with cotton threads, horse hair, plastic etc etc. There is no way of telling really what you will get as suppliers try to cut cost and mix in other things. Only thing to do is find a reputable supplier you can trust and not support the cowboys and unethically sourced ones. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but that is the truth.

Hi you! Of course it is hard to advice when I have not seen hair and also if box hair dye was used as this is always tricky.

Usually human hair should take the colour more than what you described. It can sometimes take slightly different from her natural hair as they can be different textures but it should still take the dye. I've dyed plenty of clients hair extensions red.

In my opinion it does sound like it can be mixed hair or lower grade hair that is not 100% human hair but rather mixed with synthetic hair. Synthetic hair does not take to dye like human hair or even at all. The wet dog smell youre describing might very well be so too! Another option is that it is human hair but poor quality that has been through an acid wash to thin it to look more like our texture and then heavily coated in silicone and other solutions. This could make the dye not work properly. But since you said only some strands turned bright red leaving them to appear a pinky colour overall I would think that it is human hair mixed with other hair.

As I said, really hard to tell if I can't see the hair myself and as with everything you do get what you pay for. Most extension companies would not be responsible if you dye their hair anyhow so even if you contact them they wouldn't be much help. Cheap hair extensions are collected from brushes, mixed up with cotton threads, horse hair, plastic etc etc. There is no way of telling really what you will get as suppliers try to cut cost and mix in other things. Only thing to do is find a reputable supplier you can trust and not support the cowboys and unethically sourced ones. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but that is the truth.

hi there

really as the extensionist has said, even the well known brands of clip ins available don't dye well due to the chemical processing they went through before you have bought them. best thing for it is to get extensions after any dying has been done to the natural hair, and let her hairdresser do the colouring and colour matching so she didnt have to do any, as said once extensions have been dyed any warrenties are generally null and void
edit: it doesnt sound like fully human hair if it smells like wet dog?

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies ladies. my daughter has put this down to a learning curve ie: you get what you pay for and i.ve been given a link for a recommended company.. the extensions melted and frizzled when she tried straighening them too. i will add a pic to show the colour difference and some frizz, have to chuckle tho because as teens i'm sure we all done some daft stuff.. lol.

That answers your question. Human hair doesnt melt!

Those clipins were synthetic or had synthetic fibre mixed in with them.

That answers your question. Human hair doesnt melt!

Those clipins were synthetic or had synthetic fibre mixed in with them.
Ive had a real close look at them Dawn and you can really see how very few thin 'real' hairs there are... i can't post a pic either as unlike Nail forum where i can see/access all my own posts from my phone, this one wont actually let me even view it.. strange. hhmm all my pics are on my phone.

Latest posts

Back