Reverse gel manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolled Up!

Reaction score
Hi all, I've had a request for a reverse manicure like this.... I'm thinking paint the whole nail white 2 coats then cure and put guide on and do red....my question is do I remove guide then cure or cure and remove guide? Or will this pull the polish off! Help! Haven't got my guides yet so can't practice. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1383297964.194985.jpg

Also would you charge this as nail art per nail? Unsure how much to charge!

Hi all, I've had a request for a reverse manicure like this.... I'm thinking paint the whole nail white 2 coats then cure and put guide on and do red....my question is do I remove guide then cure or cure and remove guide? Or will this pull the polish off! Help! Haven't got my guides yet so can't practice.View attachment 46807

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1383301739.844297.jpg
Here's an example of a set I did. I did 2 super thin coats of the base colour, then free handed the darker colour over the top.

This is my top tip! : paint it on in a "V" shape, then round off. I have used guides but find the colour can bleed underneath. I get a much neater line round shape free handing it.

I didn't charge any extra for this look xx

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

If it's going to take you longer than a normal French then charge extra.
A set nail art price or something. Up to you.
This look also looks gorgeous with glitter in the half moon

Laura xx

I've ordered some guides now so will give them a shot but will bear your tip in mind, not sure how good I'd be at freehanding! I've set a nail art fee of 50p-£1 per nail but charging an extra £5 for this seems a little extreme. Will see how I get on I guess x

Showing my age here, this is how my mother used to do her nails in the late 50's/early 60's...... it was the standard at that time :wink2:

I have to say i'd not heard of it until I had a request, I actually like the look. Looking forward to giving it a go, will post some pics of the results

Showing my age here, this is how my mother used to do her nails in the late 50's/early 60's...... it was the standard at that time :wink2:

Hehe! My nan says she wore her nails like this in the 1940's!! Apparently a way of making nail polish go a bit further!

I love it - such a classic look xx

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

It's called Half Moon Manicure and there are lots of tutorials on Youtube.

Maybe flash cure it ten remove guide then fully cure xx

Have you tried using the circle sticker things..... ring binder hole stregtheners or something they are called...... x

Have you tried using the circle sticker things..... ring binder hole stregtheners or something they are called...... x

Thats what i use x

I do these by using the lighter base colour first, curing then going over the the darker colour and cleaning up the half moon with a gel brush and IPA before curing x

Do you flash cure then fully cure when using striping tape to do a similar thing?

I don't understand how people are saying they use guides over two layers of the base colour gel polish. Firstly guides/stickers will not stick to the inhibition layer of the gel polish (and you won't want to cleanse untopcoated colour). Secondly the colour bleeds under the stickers, I have tried will all sorts of stickers. Thirdly if you flash cure and remove the sticker it will create a ridge.

I wonder if some people are saying what they think they would do to achieve this effect as opposed to what they have tried.

I have done this a few times and honestly the easiest and quickest way is to to it freehand. If you can do a french manicure, you will be able to do this. It is easier than it looks. Have a practice on some tips.

I am with you totally. Its simple just a bit of practice and remember with shellac you can go in and clean up your lines x you cant mess up :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't understand how people are saying they use guides over two layers of the base colour gel polish. Firstly guides/stickers will not stick to the inhibition layer of the gel polish (and you won't want to cleanse untopcoated colour). Secondly the colour bleeds under the stickers, I have tried will all sorts of stickers. Thirdly if you flash cure and remove the sticker it will create a ridge.

I wonder if some people are saying what they think they would do to achieve this effect as opposed to what they have tried.

I have done this a few times and honestly the easiest and quickest way is to to it freehand. If you can do a french manicure, you will be able to do this. It is easier than it looks. Have a practice on some tips.

You're so right, my guides arrived this morning and they won't stick! Wish I hasn't wasted my money 😪 anyhow had a go at freehanding what do you think? ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1383401299.805419.jpg

Latest posts

Back