Revision Help Please...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim@Talontastic

Reaction score
Hi

I have my NVQ Level 3 written exam on Monday afternoon, which I am absolutly dreading. :cry::cry: I have looked over all the things I need to no and have been told to such as contra indications, structure of nail, factors of nail growth, describing diferant types of nail..theres loads of stuff.:)

Now my question is does anybody no if I need to no bones, muscles, veins etc...? We briefly covered it in the level 2 exam and I no it basically, but do I need it more in depth for level 3 or will my knowledge I have be ok.:cry::confused::cry:

I am absolutly pooing my pants at this exam, as is my friend. we haven't done any theory work this year as we infill into a full time course and they do a&p in a whole seperate class. :irked: i am fine great in fact (well considering how new I am) at the practical but I really struggle when it comes down to the theory.

Is any body out there who can help me by either pointing me in the right direction or even just giving me the answers.:)

Thank you for any help you can give I would be very grateful. I'm sorry if I have put this in the wrong section.

I would have thought you would have asked your teachers these questions well before the assessment. They should have told you what you need to cover.

I would learn the info anyway whether or not you need it for your exam. It is always important to know this stuff if you want to be considered a professional --- just doing nice looking nails won't get you all the way in this profession ... not if you want to be taken seriously anyway.

Obviously I want to be taken seriously in the industry and to be one day as good as all the techs on here, I'm sorry if my initial post was unclear.

My tutor has had quite a few weeks off from our course which were un expected as her mum died suddenly. The stand in we had really wasn't very helpful towards us as we were not full time students just one afternoon a weekers. All she was interested in was our practical assessments and if we asked her questions relating to theory she looked at us vacant.

To be honest the revision sheet I have been given just says:
contra indications
nail structure
polymerisation process
describing diff types of nail
sanitisation/steralisation/disinfection etc
all of which I am fine with and understand.

My concern was would my level 2 knowledge of bones/muscles etc get me through a level 3 exam.

I've re-read everything and it all came flooding back but I'm concerned that I could need more info on these things and other things I haven't even thought about. I no my bones, musclesarteries/veins & lymph system off by heart. Its a good job I live alone as there are pictures and post it's stuck everywhere.

I've read through my BT22 & BT23 unit in my Level 3 text book, but that is only about the systems and nail structure.

I'm sorry if I sound dim but I don't no who else to ask and feel I have worked hard for the past year perfecting my appplication of all 3 systems and don't want to let myself down on my written exam.

It sound like your ok hun! you are just panicking.
is the written exam multiple choice?

you know your bones & muscles etc
Im doing level 2 at the mo, so i know what you are going through!!!

Could you have had a chat to the person in charge before hand regarding how deep the questions are going to go?
that stand in tutor didnt sound too clever, not helping you in any way at all!!

carrie xx

Include plenty of your level 2 knowledge in the answers to the questions asked so they know you know your stuff.

Please don't think I was implying you were not serious, it just amazes me that these colleges leave you so much on your own with no support and that the teachers know less than the students!! :eek:

Thats definatly true, thank you for your help.
My normal tutor is fantastic, really helpful and doesn't mind showing you a couple of times how to do things. But the stand in was a joke. I was so glad when the normal tutor came back, have to say I've learned a lot off here which has helped me. Also your nailclass book is a bible. Don't no how any tech can be without it.
Any way I've got all my level 2 notes all over the floor with textbooks, bits of paper and post its and my friend is coming over with a pizza so we can go over everything yet again hopefully we'll be ok. We've done all our courses together and have managed with them all. Even with some of the awful teachers that have been thrown at us.

is the written exam multiple choice?

Im doing level 2 at the mo, so i know what you are going through!!!

that stand in tutor didnt sound too clever, not helping you in any way at all!!

carrie xx

I wish it was multiple choice but we're all alone. Going to get my head down now and swat up a bit more.
From what I remember the level 2 exam was ok. i'm sure you'll be fine, but good luck and revise loads.
As for the tutor apparently my friend has just told me is a hairdressing teacher that helps out when they are short!?!?!?! There's no hope at all!?!?! Here's me thinking of enrolling on a massage course in September, think i'll have a re-think.

BEST OF LUCK (I forgot to say). I'm sure it will all go well for you. Come back to this thread and let us know how it went. We'll be thinking of and routing for you!

Dont be disheartened Kim.

If you have the guts and determination you can get there...and do please dont drop massage...its one of the most rewarding treatments to give and recieve.:)

I did mine the other way round, Massage first in 2001, only recently (well last year) started on nails/pedis.

My point is... if you are planning to do Massage of any type, there's no way you can avoid learning all your A & P, so it won't be a wasted effort. It's fundamental to all courses Holistic and Beauty alike.

Have to say, the A & P I did has stood me in very good stead for the beauty type courses I have done so far.

Good luck Kim, you sound like me i panic with questions and the more i read them in exams the more i seem to go blank.You sound like you know your stuff ,so when you go in take a deep breath n chill.I think to myself now when i go in for exams is It will get what i know as im not making myself feel ill anymore!. At our college i think we are on our 6 or 7th teacher already and still got about 2 moths left so its ben hard for us aswell all saying different things different techniques aswell nightmare!
Anyway try to calm down {says me who pannics like mad} you will be ok,read over the questions first before you write anything then start to fill it in.The ones you unsure off go back after then recheck them all at the end.Good luck thinking of you xx

good luck kim

keep revising but you sound like you are doing ok, go over your a+p notes as well

try not to panic i know you will do fine

ps go for the massage course, i done mines as a evening class in 18 weeks! It was hard work but very rewarding

Is it just one paper you're sitting?
The reason I ask is because I am doing NVQ3 and we had about 3/4 papers to take.

One paper was skin, nail structure, how a nail is formed - pretty much the same as you've listed.

Then the muscles, arteries, bones etc were in another paper.

I have to say it sounds like you've pretty much got it covered though, good luck hun.

Well thank you for all your kind words and support, I've just got in from college.
I've done the paper and it wasn't any where near as bad as I expected. I new all the answers thanks to my revision this weekend and to be honest the only thing that baffled me was the lymph noodes and there names in the back of the knee and elbow but I've looked them up and written them down to help me next week when I'll get my paper back.
As long as I haven't messed up too badly anywhere else in the paper hopefully next week it'll be all done and will be all finished. Just got this week to sweat over how I've done.

Think I deserve a bottle of wine now.

well done hun, glad it wasnt as bad as you thought x
ive got my mani/pedi exam on sat,hope ill be as successful as you , cos i cannot remember the skin structure for life of me lol

xxxxx

Its easy hun. I was told to remember it as
Curvy Ladies Give Sex Gladly

Then you just add Stratum Corneun, Lucidun,Granulosum, Spinoosum & Germinativum!

Works for me evry time, II just struggle with the spelling of them.

Good Luck hun x

Its easy hun. I was told to remember it as
Curvy Ladies Give Sex Gladly

Then you just add Stratum Corneun, Lucidun,Granulosum, Spinoosum & Germinativum!

Works for me evry time, II just struggle with the spelling of them.

Good Luck hun x

That is a good one.

One we were taught was Corney Lucies Granny Spins Germs.

thanks girls will deffo remember that now pmsl

>>>>sits thinking up other silly rhymes to remember it by lol xxxx

Hi Kim

Im so glad it went well for you. Ive just completed a HND/Foundation Degree Spa Management/Beauty Therapy and it was extremely tough, more theory than practical for over 2 years! Its only since Ive been in the salon Im actually learning the practical side. But at least like you have got the theory instilled now, even if it was stressful to learn!

Good luck for the future, I would recommend you do the massage course, its another string to your bow!

Michelle
x

Latest posts

Back