Ripped and infected nail-advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xAnnaBannAx

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412166953.170394.jpg

Hi. I'm looking for some expert help from an experienced & knowledgable geek please...

This lady has come to me having previously been to a NSS... One of her nails had broken underneath the product... She then went to another Technician (who I know is a terrible Technician also)...who proceeded unsuccessfully to half soak of the product.. Gave up on the timely task & crudely piled more product on! She told the lady she had a bacterial infection but no more was said about it.

So this lady then came to me where I spent 2 & a half hours carefully removing all of the product & attempting to make them good again.
A couple of her other nails had greenies .. Not a problem as just on surface.
But as you can see from the picture attached.. Her index fingernail is torn very low.. Some nail is missing at the side also exposing part of the nail bed & what is worrying me most is the bacterial infection is underneath the tear.
This nail was hurting her due to the fact it moves about. I wasn't sure what was the best thing to do but decided to clean up as best I could & apply a thin layer of acrylic to keep the nail stable & protect. I'm worried by doing that I may make the infection worse.
I've explained to keep eye on it & if it goes darker etc to come back straight away so I can soak it off again, otherwise she'll be back in 2 weeks.

Have I done the right thing for this poor woman... What would you have done ? Would really appreciate advice thanks x

I wouldn't put anything on it while it is infected. Tell her to put an antibiotic ointment on it and disinfect it daily. If her nail moves she should put a bandaid on it when she works. After the infection is gobe you can put acrylic on it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

If the nail bed is exposed AND there is an active infection I wouldn't have put anything on there but instead referred her to GP or pharmacist for advice and treatment. By applying product directly onto the nail bed you are increasing the risk of a reaction where there is already an infection. If there is pus present she will likely require antibiotics.

There was no pus or blood.. It wasn't infected in that way.
I felt in a bit of a catch 22 situation as if I left it uncovered she would likely keep catching it & would make the damage worse.. & sore & bleeding.. It was already hurting her.

I always feel reluctant about doctors & nails As I've known them to prescribe antibiotics for greenies before when that isn't what greenies need. I particularly remember a lady that had been on antibiotics for SIX months for greenies !

Her daughter is coming in Friday so I will get an update off her at least.. I would just like to decide the best possible course of action for when she returns next week.

I've just re-read your first post and I took 'infection' to mean pus, not just bacterial (greenie). I still think I wouldn't have applied any product though because how were you able to thoroughly cleanse the green area which was under the split? That and the fact there was exposed nail bed.

When she returns I think your action will depend on whether the bacterial infection shows signs of worsening. If it does you should soak off and leave the nail. Let her protect it with a plaster or dressing instead.

If however it shows no signs of worsening then you'll have to do a very careful rebalance. I say very careful because any surface filing could not only be painful but could also loosen the product especially where the nail bed is exposed and product has nothing to adhere to.

Please let us know what happens when she returns x

Thanks I will. If the area has darkened .. Obviously I'll remove product but then would you at that point...
a) refer to GP or
b) ask her to see how it goes without product on before going to GP

Would anything help with this.. Tea tree or similar?
If it was my own nail I'd be operating ! I'm sure it'd be fine if that slither of lifted nail was gone tut ! 😬

Firstly we can't prescribe, whether it's tea tree or anything else you might use on yourself we can't make suggestions like that. I would advise her to visit either GP or pharmacist but at the end of the day it will be her choice. Her best bet is to keep it clean, dry and protected until the damage grows out. Fingers crossed though that she returns with no signs of it worsening but even if that's the case I wouldn't put any colour on it so she is able to keep an eye on that infection.

Yeah I Gelished the rest of her nails & used a matching polish just on that finger.. So she could remove it in a week & check for any change & lent her the bottle to repaint.
Thanks for your input I'll keep you posted ! :)

An update ...
Lady came back today (2wks later).
She had caught the nail & completely ripped the rest of that nail off that I had tried to secure with Acrylic!
Not nice I know but I was actually pleased that had happened! 😬 as now I won't need to worry about that greenie becoming a problem as it's gone ! Poor lady.
It all looks good & has improved a lot with lots of solar oil being used 3/4 times a day.

I've applied IBX to all nails .. Regelished.. But left that nail completely free this time.ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412976854.086306.jpg

Pic is after IBX .. She's happy 👍

Latest posts

Back