Rockstar Nails - new brush!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SerenityNailz

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just felt the need to share my recent discovery :) i had been struggling with my rockstars looking quite flat so decided to buy a really soft 'fluffy' eye shadow brush to apply the glitter with rather than my gel brush and wow!! Has made a huge difference and my glitter now really pops!!! So pleased :) x

Where did you get the brush from? Do you have a pic? x

I use an old gel brush that's been really fluffed up. The more abused it is the better :)
Vicki x

Hey,

It's a front cover brush very similar to this one:

http://www.sigmabeauty.com/Blending_E25_p/e25.htm

It came in a front cover make up set from boots and is called the rounded shader.

The pic isn't very good I'm afraid as its taken on my phone and the lighting in my living room is rubbish!! Has stopped them looking foil like - so pleased :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1356564146.136214.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1356564146.136214.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 478
I use this brush on the left from a Cosmopolitan Smokey Eyes set - it was perfect to start with and it just gets better every time I use it! It is very fluffy from the abuse I give it... it acts like a glitter magnet whilst being firm at the same time.

Xxx

Would help if I attached the picture...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1356598051.628372.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1356598051.628372.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 289
Great thank you for this advice :) off to try it out. Long live glitter!

Hi geeks. I have just started doing rockstars and did a practice on a colour pop but looked more like foil. I take it then it depends on the brush? I had a client on 23rd but I dipped her nail in the glitter, they looked fabulous but OMG the mess, glitter was everywhere. Any advice or will I be better with a brush x

Hi geeks. I have just started doing rockstars and did a practice on a colour pop but looked more like foil. I take it then it depends on the brush? I had a client on 23rd but I dipped her nail in the glitter, they looked fabulous but OMG the mess, glitter was everywhere. Any advice or will I be better with a brush x

I find the more I smooth it down or brush it down to flick off excess, the more it looks like foil. I personally don't like the foil look for rock star. I use a fluffy eyeshadow brush like the sigma one, or a flat cheap eyeshadow brush but make sure I scrub into the tacky layer rather than lay it down or brush it on. I find if it looks more glittery than foil, I will need two top coats also as you get bits sticking up & feeling rough, which you get less with the foil effect.

And yes, a sure fire way to make a huge mess is to get the client to dip in, or sprinkle it on!! Glitter explosion! Xx

Think I'll give this a go.

I found with brushing it on/in it moved the glitter around too much & looked patchy, so have been using the dipped in uncured TIO & then cure, brush, then 2xTIO again, but am now fining with this the whole thing just peels off.

Like I'm finding with most things to do with nails ..... Back to the drawing board & find another way !!

Think I'll give this a go.

I found with brushing it on/in it moved the glitter around too much & looked patchy, so have been using the dipped in uncured TIO & then cure, brush, then 2xTIO again, but am now fining with this the whole thing just peels off.

Like I'm finding with most things to do with nails ..... Back to the drawing board & find another way !!

I put my glitter onto the tacky layer of my color coat as I found putting it on top of uncured shellac then curing was messy and gave a really rough finish even with two top coats! If you burnish the glitter in with a stiff brush I find you get a foil look but by using a fluffy brush and dabbing I find you get more of a bling finish. Both are lovely and it's nice to be able to offer clients a different glitter finish if they don't want a really blingy look just a but of sparkle :) hth

X

*bit of sparkle I meant! :)

I put my glitter onto the tacky layer of my color coat as I found putting it on top of uncured shellac then curing was messy and gave a really rough finish even with two top coats! If you burnish the glitter in with a stiff brush I find you get a foil look but by using a fluffy brush and dabbing I find you get more of a bling finish. Both are lovely and it's nice to be able to offer clients a different glitter finish if they don't want a really blingy look just a but of sparkle :) hth

X

Yes totally agree, offering both is a must you're right. Also same about the tacky layer - much easier! Xx

A fluffy natural hair kids paintbrush works for me, it sparkles, I avoid the foil look and it's easy to keep fairly unmessy. Hth xx

X

Will give the tacky layer another go & see how I get on.

Most of the clients were I'm renting are travellers, so love all the blingy look. But would like to get on top of both cause I won't be in the salon forever !!

Will give the tacky layer another go & see how I get on.

Most of the clients were I'm renting are travellers, so love all the blingy look. But would like to get on top of both cause I won't be in the salon forever !!

Have you tried the irresistible holographic glitters? They are super sparkely! x

Have you tried the irresistible holographic glitters? They are super sparkely! x
LOVE these! especially the holographic ones. I just use one on my kids pain brushes (new one of course) and it works great, like others have said through the more abused the better!

I've just done a set of gold rockstar shellac using ecotools concealer brush (from boots) and its nice and fluffy. Gave the bling effect rather than the foil effect, love them. Thanks so much for the advice! X

I've just done a set of gold rockstar shellac using ecotools concealer brush (from boots) and its nice and fluffy. Gave the bling effect rather than the foil effect, love them. Thanks so much for the advice! X

Glad I could help :) x

I think I actually love you. Was getting fed up of either having really rough nails from the dipping method or foily nails from using a gel brush to burnish in the glitter. This morning I used a big fluffy eyeshadow brush and they are both super sparkly and smooth (after 2 top coats).

Latest posts

Back