Rockstar nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblegumsugar

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked before it prob has but I can't find it! Tried to do rockstar nails ( gelish) the other day using a colourpop first. it came out great! Did it on my own nails and didn't turn out as glittery as the colourpop? ! It then felt all thick and bumpy and didn't feel smooth even with a few top coats of tio.They are meant to to be smooth aren't they? I kept trying and did really thin coats but still went wrong and I got so stressed I gave up! And took it off! I used rainbow glitters the ones you can use for decorating cakes as they are really fine and someone had said they used them xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I don't use gelish, I use shellac but usually put it on to the first cured colour coat and use a dry gel brush to wipe off all the excess glitter so it becomes smoother and apply x2 top coats.

There are some videos on YouTube of the fingernail fixer on Rockstar nails which are really helpful. I think you will just need to practice and learn from trial and error.

Hope that helps x

how are you applying the glitter? to get it really smooth I burnish it into the tacky layer of 1 colour coat that closely matches the colour of glitter. then I dry brush over the top to get rid of any excess and 2x top coat. if the glitter is super fine sometimes 1 top coat is enough.

Last edited:
I burnish it in using a brush then brush it down to remove excess maybe my brush isn't coarse enough? X

when you burnish the glitter....really scrub it in...then brush off excess (I like to use a fan brush for this. It's stiff but not to stiff as to rub off any glitter)

I also put it onto the cured colour coat, using a slightly dampened gel brush, patting it all over the nail firmly. I them use fan brush over it all to brush off excess and lightly run my finger on top just to check it feels smooth. I usually do two thin top coats.
The fan brush is great for making sure its all smoothed down and no excess sitting in a lump. I use small amounts of glitter building as I need to get the coverage needed.

Sorry if this question has been asked before it prob has but I can't find it! Tried to do rockstar nails ( gelish) the other day using a colourpop first. it came out great! Did it on my own nails and didn't turn out as glittery as the colourpop? ! It then felt all thick and bumpy and didn't feel smooth even with a few top coats of tio.They are meant to to be smooth aren't they? I kept trying and did really thin coats but still went wrong and I got so stressed I gave up! And took it off! I used rainbow glitters the ones you can use for decorating cakes as they are really fine and someone had said they used them xx

I've been practicing this lately and found the best method for me is: foundation coat, cure, then sculpture gel dipped in the glitter and brushed on, cure then another sculpture gel dipped in foundation to fully cover the nail, cure then with buffer buff the whole nail until smooth then Top It Off to finish which also brings the shine back. I tried one of the other methods of sprinkling on the glitter last night and made a right old mess :o Luckily it was on my friend who's nails I do for free (in exchange for her cleaning my windows LOL - great trade in!)

I use gelish and I use foundation then dry brush, then get a brush and dip it into structure gel (enough gel to cover the nail) with the structure gel on the brush i dip that into the loose glitter and put it on the nail like that. I then use the same brush but without dippin it into the structure gel just into the glitter and i dab that ontop of the glitter already on the nail then cure. Then repeat the structure gel with glitter process again to get better coverage then tio. It comes out much more shiny that way and is always smooth for me and gives the glitter more of a 3D look! X

Last edited:
I used gelish and I use foundation then dry brush, then get a brush and dip it into structure gel (enough gel to cover the nail) with the structure gel on the brush i dip that into the loose glitter and put it on the nail like that. I then use the same brush but without dippin it into the structure gel just into the glitter and i dab that ontop of the glitter already on the nail then cure. Then repeat the structure gel with glitter process again to get better coverage then tio. It comes out much more shiny that way and is always smooth for me and gives the glitter more of a 3D look! X

Just about how I do it Kelly except I have to buff at the end to stop it feeling bumpy. Any idea as to how come yours end up smooth without buffing? Thanks.

Just about how I do it Kelly except I have to buff at the end to stop it feeling bumpy. Any idea as to how come yours end up smooth without buffing? Thanks.

Sorry I didnt see your reply to the post before I commented! Hmmm not sure why yours would still be bumpy? In your layer before topcoat do you use glitter? I do but I make sure its only with a brush with structure gel on it.... if i put the 2nd layer on as loose glitter then it is bumpy x

Sorry I didnt see your reply to the post before I commented! Hmmm not sure why yours would still be bumpy? In your layer before topcoat do you use glitter? I do but I make sure its only with a brush with structure gel on it.... if i put the 2nd layer on as loose glitter then it is bumpy x

I do do it just the same - strange ... maybe my glitter is not so smooth x

Latest posts

Back