rottweilers, are they dangerous??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewsey

Reaction score
well with all the publicity lately and again today a case of another rottweiler attacking again, i have had my own personal experience of this a few weeks ago i had to have my rottweiler sam put down because he had bitten my son a few months ago and recently my nephew, i was really cut up at having to do this it broke my heart to do it but i know it was for the best and then all this happens rottweiler in the spotlight, my sam was vicious with kids and other dogs and sometimes with me, isnt it true that any dog can turn not just rottweilers, do you think they will be banned like they did with pitbulls? i believe any dog can turn but this go to say this is very worrying, do you have a rottweiller, what do you think of this, i know some very soppy rottweilers too but you just dont know, what are your views? x x x

jules x

Oh hun,you have to try not to beat self up about this xxxxx :hug:

Animals are like humans,good and bad,but there is also a grey area in the middle you know ?

When good turns bad.

I don't think we can generalise between breeds or even mamals for that matter.

Hth xxx

I,m really sorry to hear bout sam!!! i would hate to say any dog can change as i have always been a great believer that a dog is what an owner makes of it.. but after listerening to your story i now have no idea, i cant believe that you would have trained your dog to be mean.. but i do think they are very jealous animals.. ie.. if the dog came first then it would be jelous of any new additions, that is why i never got a dog till i had the kids, then the animal expects the ruff and tumble that comes with them.. i dont know your situation on this and i do feel for you...

Hmmmm, are there any hard facts to support the fact that RWs and other breeds of dogs are more likely to "turn" than others? It would be interesting to know.

My aunt has had many RWs and only ONE of them attacked a young boy. Apparently the boy teased him (does that still mean that the dog was dangerous)?

Hmmmm, are there any hard facts to support the fact that RWs and other breeds of dogs are more likely to "turn" than others? It would be interesting to know.

My aunt has had many RWs and only ONE of them attacked a young boy. Apparently the boy teased him (does that still mean that the dog was dangerous)?

we had a dog (Not a RW) vthat went for a young girl, he was being smoothered left right and centre by her, she just wouldn't leave him alone so he went for her. Because of this girl my parents felt they had to give him away, we didn't have him put down no way, it wasn't his fault. i would of felt exactly the same if somone was bothering me, to me he wasn't dangerous, so we gave him away to a couple who had nothing to do with children and that's worked very well.

xx

I was a big believer too of its how your brought the animal up but I know of incidents that say otherwise ... your Sam & there was one a couple of years ago where I live, where an elderly man was attacked by two rottweilers & these had been brought up in a loving home with children!

I hope some do not just "turn" being a huge dog lover myself, I too have heard RW's are more liely to turn than others but I dont know if there are the facts behind this!!

I wouldnt say Rotties are dangerous as a breed in general, its how they are reared I think.. and its the same with any dog/owner.

However, some breeds do have a tendancy and a viciuos gene or two compared to a.. spaniel, lets say.

But personally, yes, all dogs have the chance of turning on a human... cos they are derived from wild wolves after all! :eek:

Saying that, I am confident either of my 3 boxers wouldnt turn on me, but they can bark at other people (like the postman) LOL :rolleyes: which he loves of course!! :o

i had to have a dog put to sleep too:sad: she was a dashound/terrier cross.

Our daughter new not to go near her but our friends daughter went up to her whilst she was asleep and hugged her and she bit her in the face (not to serious thankfully).

We agonised with the desision even tried to re home her but no one would have her having bit a child.

My hubby took her to be put to sleep - cried his eyes out he did.

I dont think its rotteweilers i think its potentially any breed.

Each dog is different in temperament.

amb x

Any dog even the most placid can turn oldage illness one snap can scar for life.Personally i dont know why anyone would want to keep these dogs even well trained dogs they are very strong and can cause massive damage i know a lot of you will say i have one and i trust it totally but you never know.Can you honestly say you could leave your baby or small child alone with them and not worry for one second??

yes any dog but most dogs snap these dogs dont let go.

my dog had all the love and affection he could ever have had, i was told that there are 2 types of rottweiler vicious and guard and soppy and friendly now my sam fell into both of these catagories he would guard and he would love, tbh since we had him i always had my doubts about him because of what people say about them, when i told people i had a rockie they would say oh is he okay with kids ? well no he wasnt because i had to shut him away in the end to prevent any wrong doings, i also think that some dogs can turn because in some cases you may not have had them from a puppy and they could have been mistreated when they were young or if dogs get attacked by other dogs it can make them vicious i know cos ive seen that happen perfectly lovely puppies and then turn into vicious dogs, i have had dogs all my life and i also had a samoyed dog lovely he was but he had a tendancy to snap at people but i gave him to my brother in law as they had no kids. And i think some dogs can be provoked by children etc x x

I dont think Rotties are more easily 'turned' than any other breed. I do agree that you get good and bad dogs, just like people. A lot of people get rotties becauce they think they are evil and nasty, this only started because of the film Damien!! They are herders, me and my husband are looking at getting a rottie early next year, they are a beautiful looking and very loyal dog, which makes it a perfect obedience dog. (something I do with me collie) Any dog can turn, Ive met some horrible collies, westies and spaniels!!!

When people get a puppy they treat it like a baby, its not its a dog. Ive got a collie bitch who knows her place, she gets fed after us, I walk through the door first, Im top dog, and because I have always made her know who the alpha dogs are (us the humans), she is a really happy content dog.

I believe that a lot people dont train their dogs properly, and the dog gets confused, so when a new arrival comes, whether it be a newcomer or a new baby, the animal gets confused and trys to re-afirm its place in the pack by the only way it knows how, by biting.

It makes me sooooo angry that people always blame their dog for any 'problems', its 99.5% is the humans fault anyway but they wont have it!!!

my dog had all the love and affection he could ever have had, i was told that there are 2 types of rottweiler vicious and guard and soppy and friendly now my sam fell into both of these catagories he would guard and he would love, tbh since we had him i always had my doubts about him because of what people say about them, when i told people i had a rockie they would say oh is he okay with kids ? well no he wasnt because i had to shut him away in the end to prevent any wrong doings, i also think that some dogs can turn because in some cases you may not have had them from a puppy and they could have been mistreated when they were young or if dogs get attacked by other dogs it can make them vicious i know cos ive seen that happen perfectly lovely puppies and then turn into vicious dogs, i have had dogs all my life and i also had a samoyed dog lovely he was but he had a tendancy to snap at people but i gave him to my brother in law as they had no kids. And i think some dogs can be provoked by children etc x x

I dont mean to sound awful but, thats not the dogs fault, they were breed for herding and guarding the animals, the dog sees it as his job to look after children, sorry but it goes back to not understanding dogs, yes they are part of the family but they are not humans they are pack animals.

I dont mean to sound awful but, thats not the dogs fault, they were breed for herding and guarding the animals, the dog sees it as his job to look after children, sorry but it goes back to not understanding dogs, yes they are part of the family but they are not humans they are pack animals.

well no but its not my fault either i know where you are coming from but i had to shut him away for my own peace of mind, what your saying in my opinion is that they are not pets then? i know rockies that are totally different and ive also heard that when there is interbreeding in the family that can affect there temperment too, my sam was okay before this happened ?x x

jules x

No dog is worse than another.
They all turn: chihuahua's, rottweilers, labradors.
And there are no bad dog's, only bad owners (such as applies with kids and parents: no bad kids....)
It's how they are raised.

The thing of it, is this:
If a chihuahua attacks your pant leg going full throttle, you can shake him off and laugh at him pitifully.
If a rottie attacks your leg.......

They are bigger dogs with powerful jaws. If you can't control them....
OF COURSE a bigger dog with more strength can "be" dangerous, but doesn't mean that they are, if that makes sense.

And ANY dog will 'turn'.
My Nana's best friend had a golden lab. Sweetest thing. Played great with kids, we pulled his tail and everything. Never so much as a snap.
When I was 4yrs old, he was asleep on the floor. I tripped and fell on him and startled him..
Next thing we all knew, my face was in his mouth. (thankfully, no scarring)
Hardly his fault, I scared the crap outta him and had probably hurt him when I landed on him.
I also had a friend with two pittbulls.. sweetest things. Absolutley DARLING. Great with the kids.. etc.
My neighbor has a poodle? I would GLADLY drop-kick that nasty thing. Growls at my kids all the time, they can't pet him cause he snaps. BUT that's the owner's fault.

I have seen similar with my own pekeingese when my 4yr old fell on him when he was sleeping... he snapped and grazed her cheek.
AND he is the MOST darling sweetest thing, wouldn't hurt a fly, loves everyone, would probably lick a burgular to death, and he sleeps with the cat.

In my own experience, I have actually seen more nasty SMALL dogs than big dogs. (years ago, did door to door sales... LOTS OF DOGS and my leg DID get attacked by a chihuahua, funniest story:lol: ). I have found - and a vet is likely to repeat the same - that most small dogs are often immediately on the offense because of their diminutive size & because they feel intimidated, and then will often show aggression first.
Larger dogs, because of their 'confidence' for lack of a better word, will wait until something happens before showing aggression. They don't have to be on the offensive, so they are on the defensive. They aren't afraid, they aren't nervous, they aren't intimidated. In my travels, in my own experience with my own dogs (large and small) and experience with friend's and family's dogs... I worry more about the wee ones than the large ones.

Granted, there are also different personalities in animals such as with people.
BUT if an animal shows an aggressive side as a puppy then it's the owners responsibility to train him appropriately. (just as kids are corrected not to hit other kids).
And you can have the 'odd' animal that's a bit unstable SAME as with people (maybe due to inbreeding? bad rearing, imbalance, previous abuse, who knows..)
BUT generally speaking, on the whole - there are no dangerous or bad dogs. Just dangerous or bad owners.

well no but its not my fault either i know where you are coming from but i had to shut him away for my own peace of mind, what your saying in my opinion is that they are not pets then? i know rockies that are totally different and ive also heard that when there is interbreeding in the family that can affect there temperment too, my sam was okay before this happened ?x x

jules x

Yes they can make fabulous pets, all dogs can, but yes if you start messing around when breeding yes you will get problem dogs. I just feel that people need more training/education on dogs.:)

No dog is worse than another.
They all turn: chihuahua's, rottweilers, labradors.
And there are no bad dog's, only bad owners (such as applies with kids and parents: no bad kids....)
It's how they are raised.

The thing of it, is this:
If a chihuahua attacks your pant leg going full throttle, you can shake him off and laugh at him pitifully.
If a rottie attacks your leg.......

They are bigger dogs with powerful jaws. If you can't control them....
OF COURSE a bigger dog with more strength can "be" dangerous, but doesn't mean that they are, if that makes sense.

And ANY dog will 'turn'.
My Nana's best friend had a golden lab. Sweetest thing. Played great with kids, we pulled his tail and everything. Never so much as a snap.
When I was 4yrs old, he was asleep on the floor. I tripped and fell on him and startled him..
Next thing we all knew, my face was in his mouth. (thankfully, no scarring)
Hardly his fault, I scared the crap outta him and had probably hurt him when I landed on him.
I also had a friend with two pittbulls.. sweetest things. Absolutley DARLING. Great with the kids.. etc.
My neighbor has a poodle? I would GLADLY drop-kick that nasty thing. Growls at my kids all the time, they can't pet him cause he snaps. BUT that's the owner's fault.

I have seen similar with my own pekeingese when my 4yr old fell on him when he was sleeping... he snapped and grazed her cheek.
AND he is the MOST darling sweetest thing, wouldn't hurt a fly, loves everyone, would probably lick a burgular to death, and he sleeps with the cat.

In my own experience, I have actually seen more nasty SMALL dogs than big dogs. (years ago, did door to door sales... LOTS OF DOGS and my leg DID get attacked by a chihuahua, funniest story:lol: ). I have found - and a vet is likely to repeat the same - that most small dogs are often immediately on the offense because of their diminutive size & because they feel intimidated, and then will often show aggression first.
Larger dogs, because of their 'confidence' for lack of a better word, will wait until something happens before showing aggression. They don't have to be on the offensive, so they are on the defensive. They aren't afraid, they aren't nervous, they aren't intimidated. In my travels, in my own experience with my own dogs (large and small) and experience with friend's and family's dogs... I worry more about the wee ones than the large ones.

Granted, there are also different personalities in animals such as with people.
BUT if an animal shows an aggressive side as a puppy then it's the owners responsibility to train him appropriately. (just as kids are corrected not to hit other kids).
And you can have the 'odd' animal that's a bit unstable SAME as with people (maybe due to inbreeding? bad rearing, imbalance, previous abuse, who knows..)
BUT generally speaking, on the whole - there are no dangerous or bad dogs. Just dangerous or bad owners.

i will in no way take the blame for animals actions i now have a lovely staff soft as anything too i tell hime off when he nips the kids and myself and my partner, i toilet trained him within a few days so i now how to bring dogs up as i do kids !! this was a very sad and hard thing for us to do as a family and i will not have the blame put on me ! wether i was right or wrong !

and i am also taking my new dog to a puppy training class for 6 weeks not that he needs it !

i will in no way take the blame for animals actions i now have a lovely staff soft as anything too i tell hime off when he nips the kids and myself and my partner, i toilet trained him within a few days so i now how to bring dogs up as i do kids !! this was a very sad and hard thing for us to do as a family and i will not have the blame put on me ! wether i was right or wrong !
I,m glad you spoke out cos i feel the same.. it may not be the dog situation but the kids one... i have a child who punches kicks throws things at me swares at me and he has never been brought up any different from my 2nd child... he has a mental problem IS THAT MY FAULT....:mad::mad:

no sorry, i just wouldn't have anything in my house that nips/bites/scratches or anything else that i didn't want it to do....i don't have cats/dogs at all and never will...regardless of what bread, cos i will never know whats going on in its head and how someone can say they do is beyond me...how can you..we cant even judge whats going on in a human head let alone an animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back