Ruins nails?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much Nails in London for that advice......great!! I'll try doing that with the red nail polish, that's an excellent tip! I accept that it is most likely to be something that I am doing wrong and even my mix ratio probably needs attention. I am having a 121 session soon so hopefully I'll be ironed out a bit more then. Thank you

Nailsinlondon1 said:
I think you have answered your own question here.......go over your technique and see where the problem is, is it your file prep, are you a bit eager and heavy handed with the file, are you using a 240 grit only once going in direction of nail growth ???? Using light pressure almost non existing, you are just removing shine not keratin....

What about your blending technique, are you blending just the tip or does your file touch the natural nail ?? As the nail grows, the nail damage is growing out with it, hence the flimsy free edge when you remove the enhancement to apply a new set. Then you blend again and the same happens..... Its like roof tiling nail damage, the nail damage being the slates , if you can see where I am coming from....

So look at your application techniques ..... try this............ paint your natural nail red.... apply a tip, now blend it how you usually blend it..... how much of the red enamel is coming off on your file ????? Imagine then red enamel is the keratin....... the more red on your file, the less keratin on the nail...........
Then try it again, try not to touch the enamel at all with your file !!!!!
Not as easy as you might think, but once you have cracked it it's goodbye to flimsy nails and hello to great blending skills !!!!
Have a go !!!!

DONZIE said:
Thank you so much Nails in London for that advice......great!! I'll try doing that with the red nail polish, that's an excellent tip! I accept that it is most likely to be something that I am doing wrong and even my mix ratio probably needs attention. I am having a 121 session soon so hopefully I'll be ironed out a bit more then. Thank you

You are welcome, and a one to one is a fab idea and will tweak any area's that need tweaking..........Good luck Hun xx

Hi Donna,

Don't know if you are interested or not but last year I did a little experiment, partly to see if the difference in post enhanced nails and non enhanced nails, and partly because i'm crap at applying with my left hand!!!

Anyway the result was that after a month of wearing enhancements on one hand only both sets of nails were as strong as each other and actually the one that had the enhacements looked better because all the nails were the same length!

Hope this helps.

i dont no of any one that has had there nails ruined by a nail tech only that there own nails are a tad soft, but with a good manicure and care they are soon as good a new, as for my own nails well im new to this and before i got my nail trainer i was always practising on myself so they were a bit of a mess. as for for the same quistions being asked all the time i agree every time i come on here latley its the same quistions being asked over and over(SEARCH THREADS), ARE WEAR ALL THE ANWSERS ARE.... but if your new on here then i suppose it takes a while getting to no how to use every thing, di x

Hey Donzie, have you thought about dong just natural nails? It's something that I've thought about and I remember reading somewhere on here that 90% of women don't have enhancements so there's a big gap in the market.

Just thinking that rather than give up altogether, this might be another route to take. Waddya say?

oh god no dont give up, dianna xxxxxxxx

Hi Kimmi Rocks,
I'm not thinking of giving up. I have spent a lot of money on this game so am stuggling to perfect it. It would be easy to give up as I'm not doing many sets at all at the moment but I really don't want to do that cos I'm hoping that eventually it will take off a bit. I like doing tips and would very much like to learn how to sculpt too.

Kimmi Rocks said:
Hey Donzie, have you thought about dong just natural nails? It's something that I've thought about and I remember reading somewhere on here that 90% of women don't have enhancements so there's a big gap in the market.

Just thinking that rather than give up altogether, this might be another route to take. Waddya say?

DONZIE said:
Hi Kimmi Rocks,
I'm not thinking of giving up. I have spent a lot of money on this game so am stuggling to perfect it. It would be easy to give up as I'm not doing many sets at all at the moment but I really don't want to do that cos I'm hoping that eventually it will take off a bit. I like doing tips and would very much like to learn how to sculpt too.

So say all of us. I've got a long way to go too but I'll get there in the end, even it kills me. Glad you're gonna stick with it.

Until I get real good, I was thinking of calling myself "BUFF IT AND BLUFF IT."

Hey that's a good name.........made me chuckle to myself anyway!!

Kimmi Rocks said:
So say all of us. I've got a long way to go too but I'll get there in the end, even it kills me. Glad you're gonna stick with it.

Until I get real good, I was thinking of calling myself "BUFF IT AND BLUFF IT."

hey Donna,

Don't forget the damage is only temporary (if not too severe).

When I remove my acrylic I use a good nail strengthener and paint them a pale pink (I love CND's Beau) and finish with Seche Vite top coat.

Your nails will soon be as good as new again!

Good luck,

Karen
x

Hey Guys - I was asked to look at this thread and wanted to address it quickly before I zap on down to Bath...

I am not overly bothered if the question has been asked 1,952,214 times. Sure, the search could come up with some results - but lets face it... its not google.

More importantly - The easiest way to handle a referal to another thread is to be kind enough to post a link to it. If I were to prohibit any new threads that have already been covered in the past, we would end up with a very small forum ;)

On the note of natural nail plates getting damaged - its impossible for any nail enhancment product to damage a natural nail - its the techniques the technician uses to apply them... But Im pretty sure this has been covered in this thread (oh yea - and others :) )

Latest posts

Back