Safer salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rach's nails

Reaction score
This is my first post under my new profile (lost my login😡) please like and share this Facebook page to educate the public about safe nail and beauty salons. Please message me stating that you are a salongeek member if you wish to become an editor of the page. Share tips, facts, correct myths and share experiences.
The importance (and differences) between sanitation and disinfection, what correct procedures should be in hygiene anything that will help. ❤️http://bit.ly/safersalonsfacebook

That site is a really good idea. The one thing I would suggest though is that if your only posting pictures of severe horror stories it begins to look a bit like scaremongering.. It maybe worth get some picture up of just basic infections or less obvious damage, thinned nails, nails that are paper thin and bendy, or where they have been filed a little too much etc? otherwise people might think 'oh my nails don't look anywhere near that bad so its fine'

That site is a really good idea. The one thing I would suggest though is that if your only posting pictures of severe horror stories it begins to look a bit like scaremongering.. It maybe worth get some picture up of just basic infections or less obvious damage, thinned nails, nails that are paper thin and bendy, or where they have been filed a little too much etc? otherwise people might think 'oh my nails don't look anywhere near that bad so its fine'

It is to post facts, correct myths and anything to educate the public what SHOULD happen in a salon. The things that have been posted so far are what other professionals have shared. The content is not just down to me 😊. I am hoping that people will also post pics of beautiful nails, how they should be, warnings of nail infections and much more.

I think it's a really good idea too.

I was going to share but to be honest the pics on there made me a bit queasy, some of them are enough to put me off having my nails done by anyone ever 😱.

It would be great to share the info about what to look for in a salon but do the images really need to be so graphic?

X

I think it's a really good idea too.

I was going to share but to be honest the pics on there made me a bit queasy, some of them are enough to put me off having my nails done by anyone ever 😱.

It would be great to share the info about what to look for in a salon but do the images really need to be so graphic?

X
The purpose of this page is to educate the public the dangers of salons/nail technicians that do not follow standard hygiene, procedures and why they are so important.
Some members of the public (and poorly educated techs) are not aware HOW serious the consequences are when not looking for treatments.
I often get huffed and stropped at when I tell clients that they need a patch test before certain treatments! I have to explain to them that it is NOT me being difficult and feel that they need to be shown the consequences. Xx

Well i appreciate what you're saying, but im assuming you want people to give honest feedback so i am doing so. I don't think personally I would share it with any of my clients or Facebook friends. I think there's a big risk that it's more likely to stop people getting extensions at all then anything.. I totally get what your trying to do... but that's my opinion is all.. you can do as you will with it I like the idea in general.

Another option around it would maybe to post pictures of how nail should look after someone has been to a good tech?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well i appreciate what you're saying, but im assuming you want people to give honest feedback so i am doing so. I don't think personally I would share it with any of my clients or Facebook friends. I think there's a big risk that it's more likely to stop people getting extensions at all then anything.. I totally get what your trying to do... but that's my opinion is all.. you can do as you will with it I like the idea in general.

Yes I fully understand your point, and as I said before there are a number of admins and most of the pics have been posted by others not myself. I have tried to post more things like information and facts.
The pictures really are to show the damage but then to also show how it is rectified by a REAL tech (however nobody has posted this yet)

I really don't see the point in posting pictures of damaged nails without saying what the problem is, what caused it, and how it can be restored to good health.

Without that information it is just scaremongering, and I certainly would not want my clients or anyone on my friends list to see half a story...or indeed no actual story.

How does showing pictures of these nails make salons safer? .....sorry I just don't get it.

Posting Information on what to look for in a good salon, and what proper hygiene procedures are would be a good idea, rather than asking others to do so, as some information already posted isn't quite correct or factual.

Well if that going to be on there then that's good at least. Good luck with it.

I'm afraid I agree with what's been said so far. I don't believe this is ready for promoting to the public yet. Focussing on the bad stuff is truly the wrong focus. Promoting what exactly a 'safe salon' is and the work that is produced by them is the way to go.

From what I have linked to all I can see is quite horrific and nothing else. All this is saying is 'look what can happen' and not 'look what should happen and how do you distinguish and avoid poor service' without any emphasis on the horrors.

Saying it isn't you that is posting shouldn't be the reason for these horrors. The admins should have a common goal and if this is the goal of even one of the admins then I disagree with it.

My suggestion is that the page/site/campaign is populated with what is right and what the consumer should be looking for. When this is looking good then is the time to promote it. If the horrors then appear from consumers they can be addressed.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember this was started some time ago? But nothing came of it?

I'm afraid I won't be promoting it as it has, in my opinion, the wrong focus and wrong content. Maybe I'm missing something

I really don't see the point in posting pictures of damaged nails without saying what the problem is, what caused it, and how it can be restored to good health.

Without that information it is just scaremongering, and I certainly would not want my clients or anyone on my friends list to see half a story...or indeed no actual story.

How does showing pictures of these nails make salons safer? .....sorry I just don't get it.

Posting Information on what to look for in a good salon, and what proper hygiene procedures are would be a good idea, rather than asking others to do so, as some information already posted isn't quite correct or factual.
Sorry but if you message me directly with the exact information that is incorrect then I will be happy to put this right. I am trying to get all levels of expertise on board, however the whole point is that the information is correct.

I'm afraid I agree with what's been said so far. I don't believe this is ready for promoting to the public yet. Focussing on the bad stuff is truly the wrong focus. Promoting what exactly a 'safe salon' is and the work that is produced by them is the way to go.

From what I have linked to all I can see is quite horrific and nothing else. All this is saying is 'look what can happen' and not 'look what should happen and how do you distinguish and avoid poor service' without any emphasis on the horrors.

Saying it isn't you that is posting shouldn't be the reason for these horrors. The admins should have a common goal and if this is the goal of even one of the admins then I disagree with it.

My suggestion is that the page/site/campaign is populated with what is right and what the consumer should be looking for. When this is looking good then is the time to promote it. If the horrors then appear from consumers they can be addressed.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember this was started some time ago? But nothing came of it?

I'm afraid I won't be promoting it as it has, in my opinion, the wrong focus and wrong content. Maybe I'm missing something

Yes you are missing something. The fact that this is a new page. And the pictures posted so far have NOT been corrected yet. Also the fact that there is other information on it not JUST pictures. They're only about 4 pics on it two of theses are informing clients that they have the RIGHT to ask about sterilisation, sanitation, to see insurance certificates, the fact that tools need to be sterilised between each use, that towels must be changed between each and every client. 😊

Last edited:
I too cannot see the point in your page. Showing pictures of nasty nails, but with absolutely no information is just silly.

How is this supposed to inform & educate clients?

I think the idea, in basic, is good, but for it to be of any help to us techs and our clients, it needs to be much much more informative.

Rather than just collecting and posting pictures, maybe concentrate on one picture at a time, then include information as to why it happened, how it can be avoided, fixed, and how the treatment should be carried out.

I have a couple of horror photos which I sometimes show to new clients. These were taken from a 1st time client who came to me after having their nails ruined elsewhere, and beside each horror photo I have follow up photos, from the same client, after I have treated them the first, second, and third time (by which time her nails were in very near perfect condition, and much much healthier) This is one of my best tools for educating new clients, as I am able to talk them through it, rather than just show a picture.

If you are able to do the same, then maybe the page could be of use.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

OMG, those pictures made me feel quite unwell ... I think you should listen to the geeks who have already posted particularly MUM (Marion Newman) who is an icon in the nail industry and IZZIDOLL who is a well respected nail geek.

Withdraw the site until you have it up and running with relevant and pertinent information from respected sources.

This page also supports the "Gelish Bites Back" campaign by Jason Smedly of Nail Harmony.

AGIAN Geeks focusing on the pictures not any of the information posted ie the post below ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1407871696.347880.jpg

If you have to keep trying to explain it to people in the industry there's no way people who aren't in the industry are going to be focusing on that themselves. A picture is worth a thousands words and all that.

Please dont be disheartened though. Youre onto a good idea it's just not quite the right content yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back