Sally's colour releaser peroxide with Wella Illumina

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ND2304

Reaction score
this may seem like an obvious question But I went to go buy illumina in 9/60 and 10/69 and pastel developer however they had no pastel and the lady working there said I could just use salons services own colour releaser with it. Slightly sceptical as it's a lot cheaper and not sure if it would give the same results? It will be used to tone pre lightened hair.
Usually use dia light and their dia activators but had my hair toned with wella last week and loved it so thought I'd use it on my client. Never used salon services own peroxides before !
Thanks !

When I was training we would often run out of the designated peroxide and they always just bought Sally's own and it always worked the same, but that was redken. You could test strand a bit? I don't use wella sorry!

Obviously I know that you shouldn't use other peroxides but sometimes you have no other option! And I've never had a problem.

this may seem like an obvious question But I went to go buy illumina in 9/60 and 10/69 and pastel developer however they had no pastel and the lady working there said I could just use salons services own colour releaser with it. Slightly sceptical as it's a lot cheaper and not sure if it would give the same results? It will be used to tone pre lightened hair.
Usually use dia light and their dia activators but had my hair toned with wella last week and loved it so thought I'd use it on my client. Never used salon services own peroxides before !
Thanks !
Hi you could also use 1.9% colourtouch developer.x

I've always use sally's with L'Oreal and wella works exactly the same as other developers.

Thanks !
The only thing that I would imagine is different is the strength of the peroxide, pastel is 2.9%, but a colour releaser is Generally 1.5% or 1.9%, so you might find you get more deposit from the colour

The only thing that I would imagine is different is the strength of the peroxide, pastel is 2.9%, but a colour releaser is Generally 1.5% or 1.9%, so you might find you get more deposit from the colour
Own brand developers usually work great for depositing, there are some cases (especially with lighteners) when the product may not lift as much, this is due to different buffers in the product vs developer. But for the most part, you'd be fine, in our salon, we've used salon supplies developers with Schwarzkopf lightener and wella colours and they work great

I on a regular basis use Sally's bleach and L'Oreal developer or L'Oreal bleach and Sally 's developer. It has always worked the same. I've never heard of having to use the same brand developer for colour tho.

I on a regular basis use Sally's bleach and L'Oreal developer or L'Oreal bleach and Sally 's developer. It has always worked the same. I've never heard of having to use the same brand developer for colour tho.
Are you a qualified hairdresser? The first thing they teach you is to use the matching developer with colours, first of all, it WILL void all manufacturers insurance, secondly, it could invalidate your salon insurance or Liability. From a chemical standpoint, you will get best results using matching developer-issues from poor grey coverage to insufficient lift can arise and if they do happen, it would be on you. Some brands can even react violently with standard non matching developers, it's rare, but it happens. From personal experience, I know for a fact the entire goldwell line works with salon supplies developer, but it doesn't cover grey with their developer. Though the lift isn't affected.

Thanks everyone x

Latest posts

Back