Sally's & Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelleConnor

Reaction score
Hi!
Yesterday was VAT Free day and I wanted to purchase some Gelish as I currently do OPI GelColor and Im not happy with it.
I posted a thread on here asking which Sallys is the biggest and local to me and I was told leytonstone.
So last night I set out to go to Sallys which according to my SatNav was 15 minutes away... I took a wrong turn and got lost in Hackney and it took me over an hour to get there.
Anyway when I got there I was extremely disappointed. They had a few colours (Only one of what I wanted) but their bottles and displays were horrific!! Some had been left open, others were sticky, some had the colour all around the bottle! How can they expect people to by the items like this?
Once I saw the items I decided against buying there or even ordering from there because who knows what condition the Gelish inside the bottle is like!
I then thought about going to the Sallys Local to me, I tried to call them to see if they had the colours I wanted in stock but the woman who answered was too busy to tell me. So in the end instead of wasting my time I left it :rolleyes:
So now I have to wait for the Beauty UK Show and see if they are doing any online offers :eek:
Are all Sallys like this? x

I can't answer for all Sally's as there are so many!

Some have the Gelish under the counter and you have to ask for it. I have only ever done special orders when purchasing from them. I would not buy off the shelf, because we all know people go in to see the colours and start opening the bottles!

Maybe order online from them? They still do VAT free days for these purchases.

Hi,

The Sallys I use in Hemel Hempstead is pretty good. They have some Gelish colours out on display but keep most of their stock behind the desk as some have been stolen! I specifically ask for colours from behind the counter as some of the bottles on display had been opened (usually by general public thinking they can buy it too (I watched them do it!) and not nail techs who should know better!). They will order in for you if they don't have the colour you want in stock. HTH

Sam

No.

The Sally's I use in Glasgow Hillington, has very helpful, friendly staff and although they tend to know more about their hair products than nail they tend to give the right advice re the Gelish they stock.
The Gelish is out on display, but directly opposite the till/payment area, so obviously they can keep an eye on it.
I do find they tend to have low stocks though, especially of Top it Off, and I always take the bottles from the back of the rack, just in case someone has been tempted to open it to see the colour better :rolleyes:
The Sally's I use is Trade only and is always mobbed on Vat Free days with Salons restocking and putting through huge orders, so I could see how they might be too busy to deal with phone enquiries about a couple of bottles of Gelish...sorry!

Hi Nicole & Beesam,

I did try and order online from them but they only have about 4 pages of colours and only about 2 of the 8 colours I wanted :irked:
This is what also confused me!
I wish I knew they had Gelish behind the counter! That would have been great and would explain why they barely had any colours there! x

I dont think many of the Sallys stock a great deal of colours, I was told they are only allowed a select few from Nail Harmony and these are mostly the ones from the first collection (dont know if this is just my Sallys).

I either ring them up or go in and order what colours I want with them, I can choose any colour from the whole range and I have them usually within a week.

I dont buy the colours which are out on display, I prefer to order them in.

Hi!
Yesterday was VAT Free day and I wanted to purchase some Gelish as I currently do OPI GelColor and Im not happy with it.
I posted a thread on here asking which Sallys is the biggest and local to me and I was told leytonstone.
So last night I set out to go to Sallys which according to my SatNav was 15 minutes away... I took a wrong turn and got lost in Hackney and it took me over an hour to get there.
Anyway when I got there I was extremely disappointed. They had a few colours (Only one of what I wanted) but their bottles and displays were horrific!! Some had been left open, others were sticky, some had the colour all around the bottle! How can they expect people to by the items like this?
Once I saw the items I decided against buying there or even ordering from there because who knows what condition the Gelish inside the bottle is like!
I then thought about going to the Sallys Local to me, I tried to call them to see if they had the colours I wanted in stock but the woman who answered was too busy to tell me. So in the end instead of wasting my time I left it :rolleyes:
So now I have to wait for the Beauty UK Show and see if they are doing any online offers :eek:
The Sallys in my area has what it is called "Gelish Mini" they have 18 colors, the bottles .03 oz The professional line (as I call it) of Gelish the bottles .5 oz & has 90 some colors. (according to the Gelish rep I talked to they will have a bit over 100 colors by the end of summer) The Gelish professional line just came to my area, Cosmoprof is starting out with 52 colors & will keep adding colors. Nail Harmony is the website to visit if you want to check out colors. I will say the colors are much nicer then they appear online, little frustrating the color swatches don't really match well on all colors. But if Cosmoprof in your area has it will be worth the trip, the best way is to open bottle take a peak if you like the color. Cosmoprof will also order any of the colors you would like. I just purchased "High Voltage" & "Izzy Wizzy, Lets Get Busy" can't wait to try them, they are very Rockstar with Glitter included!!! Hope none of this is a repeat did not read all posts following good luck!!! Lynne

Sallys are only allowed to stock a small range of colours and not the latest ones either.
On VAT free days stock is very very low because I find everyone goes in earlier in the week and gets them to put it behind the till to pay for on VAT free day. (i know because they've offered to do this for me with other items)
I've practially given up on buying colours from Sallys now, they dont much in the way of nice colours, and most bottles have been opened and have gelish over the bottle. And this is a Trade only store!!!
I only go now to buy cleanse and remover and cuticle oil. I order from Harmony direct and accept postage and factor this into my costings.
xx

why dont you open an online account with harmony online and then order it online, always better to go directly to the supplier :)

The Sally Salon services beside me has bout 30 colours in store though have a display with all available colour which they will happily special order and as long as you pay in store on vat free day you get it vat free. Colours take about 2 weeks to come xxxx

Hey how comes you are not happy with gelcolor x

My local Sallys have just had to take the Gelish off the shelves because of this and people stealing the bottles. The stand was a complete mess before as so many people opened the bottles and tried the gel on their own nails. They even had some complaints due to the fact that what they had tried on never dried properly!:eek:

why dont you open an online account with harmony online and then order it online, always better to go directly to the supplier :)

Probably because we like to take advantage of VAT free days and not pay for delivery. It all adds up! :lol:

Yes I notices the gelish at my local stand was really messy the bottles looked dirty and used, I'm lucky I only live 5 mins from harmony so I go in to pick my colours. I'm quite sure that Sally's is 5 pound pound so on vat free days there the same price harmony always sells them at..... Also if you know the colour you want and order through Sally's they don't charge vat (I found this odd but that's what my local Sally's said they did) x

Probably because we like to take advantage of VAT free days and not pay for delivery. It all adds up! :lol:

This answer always makes me smile.
1. There is no such thing as a vat free day because that would be illegal. Vat has to be paid whatever they say. They are giving you a discount ... Nice.

2. If a person who is running a busy business takes the time off to get in the car, pay for the petrol and be making no money while they spend time at Sally's then it costs you more than any saving you could be making. Much easier to order on line at your own convenience and out of work time and suck up the postage charge.

None of us likes paying postage, but it's allot more convenient to do so in my opinion than to spend work time or even what could be precious leisure time going to a place like Sally's! :confused:

Hi!

I went to Sally's yesterday too, because of it being VAT free. And The same here with lack of colour choices. It was rubbish. None of the colours I wanted was there. So my trip was wasted too!!

My local Sallys is fab.. but they also have kept the gelish stand behind the counter.. and have a sign saying trade only etc.. and no prices.. i only really use sallys for things like disposables couch roll etc... sometimes buy a colour if i want it or need it at the time....

i dont really care for vat free days now.. by the time you have paid for petrol you havent really saved much at all..

Sarah xx

I order 4 Gelish colours every month on VAT free day, I save enough on VAT and delivery to buy another bottle, mine is only down the road though so not spending much on petrol.

This answer always makes me smile.
1. There is no such thing as a vat free day because that would be illegal. Vat has to be paid whatever they say. They are giving you a discount ... Nice.

2. If a person who is running a busy business takes the time off to get in the car, pay for the petrol and be making no money while they spend time at Sally's then it costs you more than any saving you could be making. Much easier to order on line at your own convenience and out of work time and suck up the postage charge.

None of us likes paying postage, but it's allot more convenient to do so in my opinion than to spend work time or even what could be precious leisure time going to a place like Sally's! :confused:
I go to the Beauty Supply Store almost once a week, sometimes every 2 weeks.(Sometimes 2 different stores because of the products they carry) They are close together & on my way to the salon. I buy my own retail products as do the other stylists in the business I co-own. For me, it's fun for me to go see what's on sale. I personally like to view the color of the nail polish before purchasing if I can. (the online color chart isn't that accurate) Cosmoprof is a sister company to Sallys but is for Professionals only. I prefer to go to that type of Beauty Supply Store. I would rather support the local Beauty Supply Store than purchase online when possible. Plus as stated earlier in this area Sallys has only a 18 colors & it's smaller bottles, different that what I can get at Cosmoprof.

Latest posts

Back