Salon advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Reaction score
hi all,

i need some advice with a room in a hair salon, i have been offered a room for £100 a week which i think from what i've read in the geek is about right the only thing is i only wanted 2.5 to 3 days a week, now the owner really wants the full week rented but doesnt mind me getting someone else in to share. I have spoken to another nail tech that i know and she seems keen.

I worked for years in a well established hair salon where clients would ask for their stylist by name and as the salon was busy if they didnt mind who did their hair who ever was free got the booking, my question is:

A) if its a new salon without a client base how would you devide clients equally ?

B) Would we both provide our own equipment, gel, files retail stock etc

:confused:

Hi, you would be better working on your own if you possibly can
as there could be a host of problems awaiting you
by letting someone else work with you ,

I hope it would all run nice and smooth for you but I doubt it.

what happens if she hogs all the custom ?

What happens if out of desperation she borrows your monomer then forgets to replace it ? or tools ect
This is a major bone of contention with staff who supply their own products
they get so get fed up and will walk out if their products go missing all the time
so Lockable storage, and stations are a must

Also lot of nail techs, Hairdressers , and beauticians like to use their own brand of products , so its best they supply all their own stock ,

Also I have heard of one girl taking phone calls and saying well I am booked up today but I can fit you in at home tomorrow ect instead of giving the client to you ?

Just giving you a few of the usual scenarios what may happen .

As once you work together
you will both be self employed and will be each others competition :green:

Last edited:
i think your right and also i quite like the girl and wouldnt want to fall out with her, i might give the bloke a call and ask for 2 days to start and let him take it or leave it, bloody men they always want it just their way !

I understand it is a bit of a problem trying to get a part time job ,

but if you do go for it I would definitely make sure everything can be locked away as this saves any arguments ,

I am not sure how you could work it so that the clients would be equally shared
whoever is there on the busiest days is going to get the clients

the only thing I can say is that with working for yourself in a salon especially with the public they will expect you to be there 24/7 and this is why the owner may want someone to be there for a full week ,

what about starting the days at 11 or 12 ?
and then on the busy days work all day ?
that may work,

as it seems like a good offer to give up so easily
if you do go ahead make sure you get a contract or he could put up the rent once it takes off :hug:

definatly something to think about x

Hiya Lilly,

Do you know another therapist that offers different treatments to you? e.g. if you are a nail tech/beauty therapist you could team up with a holistic therapist?

That way you could be offering a greater range of treatments in your salon and not have the worry about pinching each others clients?

Just a thought! Good luck with it, I hope it works out well:hug:

hi ya,

the girl that i have asked is a trained beauty therapist and is into waxing, she took a bio sculpture course a couple of years ago but only dabbled in it nothing more than clear nno's so i was asssuming she would be more interested in the waxing side of things but she's keen to do the nails, i have tried politely telling her that i didnt think there is enough business for 2 tech there but its fallen on deaf ears !!! wish i hadnt said anything to her now !

Latest posts

Back