Salon Geek as a Pro and Student Trainee board only

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feline

Reaction score
Just an idea.

Why can the board not be locked to “anyone” posting aside from the “ask a pro” section if pro’s are not pro’s?

Unless I’m missing something, this would solve a lot of problems and ensure that we’re not giving the non pro pro advice when they should be training.. or have no intention of training etc.

Certificates could be used to ID as with trade applications. Same for trainees they could be verified by their educators.

This will lift a burden from pro’s here who are dealing with non pro posters and having to try and work out who’s genuine or not. Ask a pro still being open to non pro’s means that we can choose to look at that topic instead of the stress guess work, it will probably also de- clutter the main forum of a lot of unnecessary posts.

Make Salon Geek professional ! .. and a great place for trainees and students too.

Who is to determine who is a pro and who's isn't?

We're an international site, previously UK dominant but now owned by an American entity, who would determine who's certificates and/or awarding bodies are legitimate for each country? The techs in the USA have different state requirements, we in the UK have many awarding bodies and independent suppliers who are not necessarily NVQ accredited but provide great training. There are many who have accreditation who are appalling. We used to have techs from all over the world, I miss many of our Aussie and Kiwi buddies. It would be impossible to implement and police.

To a degree we' are and have to be self regulating, you can tell the trained from DIY chancers just by the questions answered and responses to suggestions.

I probably will not always be able to tell if someone’s genuinely a pro or not, and I recognise that some trained professionals are at different levels in their, though I wouldn’t want to single them out.. lord I could be one of them but they are certificated at least.

I also welcome techs from all around the world, including hair and beauty.. the issue raised is that non professionals can and do post. I see plenty of disgruntled replies from people who are technically policing the forum when it could be a pro only board in specific areas.. so who ever it that now owns the board could require certificate upload, as we would with our professional trade accounts elsewhere.

Perhaps that would mean employment of global staff on the forum that would make the forum a premium paid for service? I don’t know.. just seems to solve a problem but like I say, I must be missing something?x

Last edited:
Yes, you’ve hit the crux of the problem there.

I agree with the sentiment but trying to provide a qualification checking service would be very difficult to implement as @Trinity has pointed out, mainly due to the Global nature of the forum, because there are no universally accepted standards of competency.

In addition, the Forum is currently free to join and the moderators are unpaid volunteers. To provide a more tailored service would require enough staff globally to properly monitor it and a paid subscription level of membership would have to be introduced. I can’t see many members being keen on that idea.

a paid subscription level of membership would have to be introduced. I can’t see many members being keen on that idea.

I wouldn't pay for access to this site, there's not enough of anything to warrant it. It's not like there is a catalogue of up to date tutorials (there used to be not nothing new), there's not access to a range of industry leaders (we have the greats like Bob but nothing like we used to have - at one point Sam pushed for a brand ambassador from as many companies as possible but there wasn't the take up - we used to have various brand educators but they've gradually slipped away), there's no News/Blogs/Specials bringing anything new to the Site (Alex from Scratch used to post, again, another one lost over the years) - there's nothing I would pay for here that's not free anywhere else on the internet. Don't get me wrong, I hugely appreciate the contacts I've made on here over the years, I've been touched by the messages and PMs since I caught covid, but it's not like we are a thriving, fast moving, environment.

Where to start?!

Salon Geek has changed an awful lot since I first joined the site way back in 2004 (😱 is it really that long ago), and I seem to remember even back then that the question about Pro or Non Pro was being asked and to be honest it has continued to be asked over the years.

As stated above though, it’s a big ask, especially when the site is international and qualifications and recognition of them is very different and varied from country to country.

@Trinity has already said that sadly, many industry leaders, mentors and well-known personalities in their fields have come and gone, and perhaps Salon Geek is poorer for their absence 😢 their advice to many of us “oldies” was and still is invaluable, and I will always be grateful for the help and assistance that guided me along that very long road at the beginning.

I guess it’s just one of those things, I agree that it is a great place to share. I was really glad of the forum when I was re-starting my nail career.

I think it’s difficult because not only is deciphering who is a pro and who is not puts me off using the forum, sometimes the responses to people who are not pro and are posting can come across in a way that really isn’t very friendly which is off putting to new joiners or those starting out.

I understand partly why people respond abruptly to non pro posts but I do think it helps give the forum a bad name when it’s really just that people are trying to police non pro posts.

One of the downsides that cannot be solved I guess.

Who is it that owns the forum now? What business? Is it another beauty supplier?X

I think it’s difficult because not only is deciphering who is a pro and who is not puts me off using the forum, sometimes the responses to people who are not pro and are posting can come across in a way that really isn’t very friendly which is off putting to new joiners or those starting out.

I understand partly why people respond abruptly to non pro posts but I do think it helps give the forum a bad name when it’s really just that people are trying to police non pro posts.

See, I like the abrupt tone, I come/came here to learn and share issues/resolutions not the fluffy stuff. Maybe its the abundance FB groups that are so unprofessional that makes me lean towards the clarity and forthright posts and answers. The amount of nails I see on FB boards that quite frankly are horrendous and all the comments are along the lines of 'they're great hun' - no they're not and stop giving people false information.

Anyone who spends 5 minutes reading past posts will see we're not fluffy, if they then choose to post why would they expect any different.

Who is it that owns the forum now? What business? Is it another beauty supplier?X

The site is now owned by an American consortium, which maintains and looks after various websites.

So far as I’m aware though, there’s no association with beauty at all.

The site is now owned by an American consortium, which maintains and looks after various websites. So far as I’m aware though, there’s no association with beauty at all.
The site is now owned by an American consortium, which maintains and looks after various websites. So far as I’m aware though, there’s no association with beauty at all.

So it’s not clear who owns our data either?

That’s even dodgier.

How do I leave?x

That’s even dodgier.

How do I leave?x

Ask the Mods to delete your account

The site is now owned by an American consortium, which maintains and looks after various websites.

So far as I’m aware though, there’s no association with beauty at all.

Please delete my account, if there’s anything I need to do keep me postedx

Please delete my account, if there’s anything I need to do keep me postedx

Moderators are unable to delete accounts, but I will alert the Admin Team to take care of this for you.

No, your data is still processed in accordance with EU regulations.

No, your data is still processed in accordance with EU regulations.

So @Feline, you still have time to decide before the Admin Team deal with the request, just in case you want to change your mind,

So @Feline, you still have time to decide before the Admin Team deal with the request, just in case you want to change your mind,

Ok. Thank you for the replies, yes I’d still like to go ahead with admin and delete please. I’m not best at working out who’s who on the board, and its not like I’m about to return to the industry any time soon anyway so probably best.

I met some really wonderful people here and really benefited from salon geeks existence, I will always remember everyone’s kindness and the good laughs.

Thanks for sorting the deletion and be super good to yourselves everyone 💐. x

Latest posts

Back