Salon owner and pregnant - advice required please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iconic

Reaction score
Hi geeks..

We have just found out I'm pregnant but my dilemma here is: I have a hair & beauty salon of my own with 1 self employed beautician.. I am the only person to do hair (although my beautician is qualified and has been a hairdresser for 16 years also)
So I'm thinking of my options for when I go on maternity leave.. Has anyone been in my situation? If so, what did you do?
Do I employ somebody to do all hair whilst on maternity leave? (Just for maternity period)
Or..
Look at employing somebody along side me as I may choose to go back part time initially?
Or..
Rent the chair out? (I have 3 hair stations) but my concern here would be that both "workers" would be self employed? With no management as such?
Or..
Does anyone have any other ideas??

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance.

Kind regards..

Huge congrats and good luck x

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

You could get one senior stylist employed full time and one stylist self employed.

Is there awawy ur beauty therapist could possibly do hair part time as im guessing u can trust her. And maybe employ someone else part time and when u feel up to it go back part time?

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for your replies and the congrats messages.
Yes, I could trust my SE beautician although I have spoken to her and get the impression that she doesn't wish to work alone..
I think the way forward may be to employ someone? Do you? However I haven't ever taken on paid employees - is there a lot involved with doing so?

Many thanks

First, congratulations!!

Well, this is the part that sucks when you are self employed. People don't think and they don't plan for situations like this.
To be self employed is worth it only if you can make enough to save enough for situations like this.

The goal is to have a salon that can sustain itself. Yeah, it's hell of a pain in the butt but you have no choice.
I think 2 models only work.
1) You are employed and can go on paid maternity leave or
2) own a business and the type of business that can sustain itself for certain period of time with less supervision.

"Being a business" sucks. As we learn in situations like this.
I'm 41 and I have been in the business for 15 years. Only the last 4 with employees. I just wish that I had someone 10 years ago smack me over the head hard and told me what I was doing had no future.

In your situation I would not hire anyone. People don't realise how much it takes to train employee and how much babysitting you have to do (super stressful). Personally I would not advice you to do this when your life changes big time due to a new baby.

Would your SE beauty be willing to be maternity cover manager and then hire out a chair? That way you have a manager you can trust and enough staff at the same time.

Latest posts

Back