Salon wear. Vogue

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpleivy

Reaction score
Hiya folks,

Some of you may have heard me grumping on here before that salon wear

1) never fits me well (if I fit the bust it drops off everywhere else. I don't have skinny arms either.
2) is generally made of 'easy care' polyester.

I'm a seamstress in one of my parallel lives. The new Vogue collection landed in my inbox today and I wondered about this as potential salonwear.

I think in the right fabric, with some nice piping details or something it would look OK. I would welcome opinions as to how 'suitable' this would be in your many eyes.

Ta muchly.

Purple
http://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/Vogue_-_8734.html

Last edited:
Thats lovely, how do we place an order with you :biggrin:
x

i think it's very nice and yes i think it's suitable :D you aren't showing bum and you aren't showing boob. i think if it was all one colour and it was more fitted than the model is wearing hers it would look really nice and very flattering to be honest.

i'm with you on not finding decent fitting salon wear! i feel so unprofessional not wearing a uniform but i'm having the hardest time finding one! i've sent several back because they either don't fit, don't look good on or feel scratchy and yucky. there's nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable in what you are wearing :( x

Well, fitted garments don't fit me well and I'm uncomfortable in stuff that is tight, so it probably will look like the pic, but with my body filling it! LOL!

Thanks for the kind comments, I feel encouraged. At the moment I'm busy sewing for other people, but I think I should get the pattern and schedule in some 'me' sewing time. Who knows, I may launch a range of salon wear for curvy girls in nice fabrics! It won't be cheap though, as you all know, you get what you pay for! :p

I love the look of this pattern, however, i feel the sleeves would drive me mad flapping in client's faces etc, so would need to be shorter, and, because of booby size, would personally prefer a v neck.

Having said that, if you ever get this made up, let us know coz it looks great. Thanks

I love the look of this pattern, however, i feel the sleeves would drive me mad flapping in client's faces etc, so would need to be shorter, and, because of booby size, would personally prefer a v neck.

Having said that, if you ever get this made up, let us know coz it looks great. Thanks

When you say boob size, do you mean fried eggs or melons? :green:

Pattern ordered, but will have to wait for a gap in my other sewing I'm afraid. Once the urgent stuff is out of the way, then I'll prioritise some time for this.

When you say boob size, do you mean fried eggs or melons? :green:

MELONS!!! lol bra size 32ff (going into a 32g but trying to resist!)

V necks for me always seem to draw attention away from them.

I like it!
I used to wear a Simon Jersey uniform but it was yucky polyester and very unflattering, so I went back to wearing M & S 3/4 sleeve t shirts and cargo pants.
I don't think it has to look unprofessional not wearing a uniform if it's thought out carefully. I'm considering going back to wearing scrubs though.
Interestingly I had to borrow a uniform for my exams last week as I would have lost marks for an unprofessional appearance had I not. Go figure!

Hiya folks,

Some of you may have heard me grumping on here before that salon wear

1) never fits me well (if I fit the bust it drops off everywhere else. I don't have skinny arms either.
2) is generally made of 'easy care' polyester.

I'm a seamstress in one of my parallel lives. The new Vogue collection landed in my inbox today and I wondered about this as potential salonwear.

I think in the right fabric, with some nice piping details or something it would look OK. I would welcome opinions as to how 'suitable' this would be in your many eyes.

Ta muchly.

Purple
sewdirect.com Vogue - 8734

I too use to sew - a lot! But gave it up years ago. Thanks for sharing this pattern as I too have issues finding an appropriate outfit to wear as a uniform. Lately I have been wearing my 'office' clothes and have ruined a few. Too expense to wear while doing waxing and other services. Most esthetician outfits that fit me are unflattering, uncomfortable and/or too big/small in certain areas. I have been thinking for a year plus to have a few made. Now I know what I want. Thanks!:D

MELONS!!! lol bra size 32ff (going into a 32g but trying to resist!)

V necks for me always seem to draw attention away from them.

I'm exactly the same size and I really struggle with my uniforms. I need a 12 across the bust but an 8/10 on the waste. I always end up wearing a 10 which is a bit tight on the bust because the 12 just looks awful.

I've been considering going to a seamstress as I can find anywhere that does made to measure tunics.
I spy a gap in the Market geeks! Xxx

Its very strange that salon wear are so unflattering! POLYESTER is horrible horrible!!

Especially that beauty market is absolutely huge and they should cater comfortable, affordable outfit. I usually get mine by Florence Roby but i still think its way too expensive!!!!

The pattern looks great, looks really cool, not too tight! Usually I am 32ee and its a nightmare! I am always hot and sweaty, esepcially with massaging and waxing!!

Luckily I am pregnant at the moment so just wearing maternity long black vests and black trousers or skirt and black maternity dresses, and my clients say i look lovely!!:biggrin: Now i am 40ff (bloody nightmare!!) only 7 and a half weeks till baby pops out!

Please let us know how you get on - and put pics up!!! xxx

I'm exactly the same size and I really struggle with my uniforms. I need a 12 across the bust but an 8/10 on the waste. I always end up wearing a 10 which is a bit tight on the bust because the 12 just looks awful.

I've been considering going to a seamstress as I can find anywhere that does made to measure tunics.
I spy a gap in the Market geeks! Xxx

Well, I had a look at the Florence Roby site. The fabrics there are described as 'softex' for one and 'silvertex' for another. These just sound like different types of polyester to me! As for price, well, COmpared to some online workwear suppliers they're more expensive, but one expects workwear to wear well, launder well and..... well, all the rest of it. I bet lots of people here have paid more than £36 for a top and not worn it day in, day out! Price per wear is going to be good even at £36.

Finding a dressmaker will be your first challenge! Finding one who will make tops for you at a similar price to online workwear retailers will probably be impossible! Let's face it, I will charge you from £8 to have a pair of jeans/trousers taken up. Same sort of a price as if you have them done at the drycleaners. Except I will 'fit' your garment on you if you need it like that, in the comfort and privacy of my own home. Most people could shorten a pair of trousers if necessary, maybe not as well as the drycleaner or I could do it, but it would be done. Making a garment from scratch is as you might imagine another kettle of fish.

You know how lots of people here say to value your skills and charge appropriately? Well it's the same for dressmakers.

It will just depend on whether or not you see it as a worthwhile investment.

Found the fabric! It's actually a reversible viscose/Poly/lycra blend so should be comfortable. A very wide pinstripe (about 5cm maybe?). One side is very dark greyish with a purple tint and the other is a plummy purple, the pinstripe being pale pink I think.

I think a lot of the available salonwear is quite stylish, it's just the nasty fabric and the fact that it doesn't fit well that puts me off.

Thanks for sending the link BaggyBear. That's a nice style, like the button to take away from the plain-ness.

Don't like that it's in polyester. Also I need a proper sleeve to cover top of my arm a bit more.

I am going to iron on a tranfer of my business logo at one side of the button too and that was why I went with the plainer style. I dont like that it's polyester either but it's comfortable to wear because it's not tight. I'm on the look out for nice floaty comfortable tunics all the time as I'm a larger girl and a bit pear shaped so find most fitted tunics a nightmare at the hips.

what a great idea!!!!
Also a suggestion, pregnancy uniforms......there doesnt seem to be any choice, only one tunic I have seen but no trousers!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back