Sanitisation in the Salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tisha

Reaction score
Hi there everyone,
Sorry if I' being a bit dense but I just recicved my copy of the Vitality magazine from BABTAc and there's an article in there about hygeine in a salon environment.

Now the bit I'm confused about is that it says to use sterilised utensils for each client - and utensils kept in a jar of barbicide are not good enough. So what I don't understand is when you've got a full day day with one client after another, how are you meant to have sterilised equipment (sterilised in an autoclave as it recommends in Vitality) for each client?

Again, I'm really sorry if I'm being really dumb - but am I meant to have like 10 cuticle pushers and nippers etc....

The salon I work in at the moment just keep their utensils in a jar of barbicide and they don't even own an autoclave or similar sterilising equipment. I'm soon opening my own salon amd am a bit worried about how I'm supposed to go about this.

I mean sanitisation is important and I always keep my equipment clean and hygenic and I want to make sure this is how it stays in my own salon....anyone out there that can help me with this???

Thanks...and sorry for the long mail

There is absolutely no need to sterilize your manicure tools in the salon unless you have cut someone or abraded their skin and the implements have come into contact with body fluid . How often does this happen? Not often.

Otherwise, ordinary disinfecting is perfectly acceptable and in fact is as effective as sterilization apart form the fact that ordinary disinfection does not kill spores. Many people are confused as to the difference between Sanitation, disinfection or sterilization. Below is some more information from the Designer Nails web site NVQ section.

[font=JS_Optima]UNDERSTANDING[/font]

SANITATION, DISINFECTION & STERILIZATION

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]Practice ‘universal sanitation’ in your workplace. ‘Universal sanitation’ means keeping the entire salon/work place clean, disinfected, and sanitary.[/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]SANITATION[font=JS_Optima] – Greatly reduces the number of pathogens or bacteria on a surface.[/font][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]Salon tools and surfaces are sanitized by cleaning with soaps, detergents and water. Hands, nails, skin, salon surfaces and tools must be sanitized by using soaps, detergents, water and a hand sanitizer like COOL BLUE.[/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

Washing is important, but may not kill all harmful bacteria and pathogens. Wash with soap and water before and after each client. Sanitize your hands with COOL BLUE, a refreshing hand sanitizer that kills germs and leaves hands feeling soft. COOL BLUE helps stop the spread of colds and flue. It also kills the germs that cause staph and strep infections. It comes in a pump dispenser to be used right at the table and you do not rinse it off.

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]DISINFECTION[font=JS_Optima] –Kills all pathogens on a surface and is almost as effective as sterilization.[/font][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]Disinfecting does not kill or remove spores (sterilization will). Disinfection is the best way to prevent the spread of dangerous organisms in the salon.[/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]Disinfectants are not for use on human skin, hair or nails. They are used for contaminated tools, implements and surfaces. Never use disinfectants or alcohol as a hand cleaner.[/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]Disinfect the table and all hard surfaces at the table in-between each client with TRUE BLUE, a hard surface EPA registered hospital grade disinfectant that is bactericidal, fungicidal, virucidal and it will inhibit the growth of mold and mildew and their odours when used as directed.[/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]Creating a clean and healthy environment in your salon means keeping every surface area disinfected: Counters, mirrors, tables, desks, phones, floors, chairs and even door handles should be cleaned with a hospital grade disinfectant (at least 70%IPA solution) that is bacteriacidal, fungicidal and virucidal; this is an important part of salon safety. Clients depend on you to ensure their safety. [/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]STERILIZATION – [font=JS_Optima]Completely destroys all living organisms on an object or surface.[/font][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]This is a difficult process and therefore is not practical for in-salon use. Doctors sterilize their tools usually in an autoclave. An autoclave could be used in the salon but it requires space and time and is actually going unnecessarily far.[/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]In the case of client abrasion of skin or any invasive injury where bleeding is a result, the implement must be sterilized. Three methods that are practical for in-salon use are:[/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]1. The use of chemical sterilizing agents, available in concentrated liquids. These liquids have to be diluted when used. Some agents are very harmful to the skin and extreme caution is required when handling them. Always read manufacturer’s labels before use and wear protective gloves when handling.[/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]2. The use of glass bead sterilizers. These small sterilizing units are easily obtained and simple to use, however, there are doubts as to how effective they are at sterilizing small, irregular-shaped tools, such as cuticle nippers, as only the parts of the tool that are in contact with the glass beads are sterilized.[/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]3. The use of an autoclave (A unit that produces boiling water under pressure)[/font]

[font=JS_Optima]An autoclave is the most effective means of complete sterilization but is not generally thought practical in the Nail Salon environment where only small metal tools are used.[/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]
[font=JS_Optima]METAL[font=JS_Optima] - metal items (stainless steel not plated) such as cuticle knives, clippers, nippers, cuticle pushers etc, may be sterilized if necessary, but disinfection is the most appropriate treatment in the nail salon. (see disinfection)[/font][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]GLASS & PLASTIC[font=JS_Optima] - receptacles made of glass or plastic need only be cleansed with liquid soap and hot water and dried with a clean cloth to keep them sparkling and sanitized.[/font][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]DISPOSABLES[font=JS_Optima] - orange sticks, spatulas, cotton wool, paper masks, paper towels, and paraffin wax should be considered as disposable items. These items should be appropriately disposed of in a lined metal bin. A plastic bin is porous and solvents and liquid monomers used in the nail industry give off vapours and odours that pass through the plastic to contaminate the air. Odours can be drastically reduced with the use of metal bins.[/font][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]ABRASIVES[font=JS_Optima] - Good quality abrasives are washable and may be sprayed with a hard surface disinfectant (70% IPA) , such as Chlor-i-Spray, after dust has been brushed from the surface, to keep sanitized. Always spray each abrasive in front of the client, before you start the nail service. The client will appreciate that you are operating a clean and healthy salon. If a technician accidentally abrades the client’s skin and draws blood, the abrasive should be disposed of for absolute safety.[/font][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima]BRUSHES - [font=JS_Optima]It is not necessary to sterilize or sanitize the brushes used to create nail enhancements, as the nature of the products and the chemicals contained in them preclude the growth of micro-organisms. However, proper cleaning and storage of brushes is essential otherwise products may become contaminated and yellowing, lifting, and service breakdown of the overlay may be the result.[/font][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

[font=JS_Optima][/font]

hello Tisha,

i'm a qualified dental nurse as well as a mobile nail tech so i know all about autoclaves and cross infection..(sad i know)

an autoclave's cycle doesn't actually take that long about 15mins depending on the type of autoclave used.

so therefore you'd probably only need a few of each of the more expensive items and then what i would probably do is use disposable item's where i can.

if dentists can do it with a 3 minute patient turnover, then salons easily can due to treatments taking more time especially if you have other members off staff which can sterilise the quipment whilst your with a client do the final touches

hope this heled Pen xxx

Thanks Geeg, that information was very useful, I was wondering how it would be possible for me to follow the rules set out in that article and to be honest I have not seen many salons using autoclaves or any other sterilations methods.

It's just not practical and doesn't make business sense to own so many of each tool, I mean cuticle pushers alone are £18, and I couldn't afford to buy loads of these to cover me for a full day's work.

I mean dentists do keep quite busy but they do earn tonnes more than a one-man-band nail tech.

Thanks again...

Hi

Your quite right nitisha i own a salon and we SANITIZE! have you seen the price of an autoclave?? Are you going to perform surgery???? :eek:

You can get sanitizing sprays i use mikrozid and it kill lots of harmfull yukkies including HIV , hep B and lots more. You wash your equipment dry then spray with the mikrozid it take 2-4 mins for them to be completely sanitized.

I for one am not planning on cutting anyone or performing open heart surgery so i am very happy and confident with my sanitizing methods. :biggrin:

I also have a liquid similar to baracide that we immerse tools in overnight.

For more info on this do a search as it has been discussed in great length on another thread but i cant remember the name of it!
HTH

One little addition to Geeg's excellent reply: if you are in a salon, check with you local Environmental Health dept. Different areas have different requirements. Some do not recognise Barbicide, others Cidex, others an autoclave etc.

Marian

I have found that barbicide makes my metal implements rust.

I use "Let's Touch" to disenfect my supplies.

Thanks for the help guys, the Salon I'm in at the moment just keep their tools in barbicide all the time.

I do and also wash them in-between clients...

Makes sense....no, I'm not going to be performing open heart surgery or anything so I guess these methods you've all outlines are sufficient...thanks again....xxx

I'm mobile, and tend to wipe and sanitise between appointmetns and soak in barbicide overnight - is this sufficient?

I admit I haven't been washing implements prior to sanitising though - I presumed that washing wouldn't do anything that sanitising wouldn't?

hope this helps I had a nightmare with health and safety in my salon,the way i got round it was to use wooden cuticle pushers and give the client her nail file that seemed to satisfy the h/s.however I do use metal instuments What the eye doesnt see the heart doesnt grieve over!!

When I was in school we were taught to have two sets of implements, because it takes about 20 minutes to sanitize a set in 70% isopropyl alcohol. You can also use a solution of diluted bleach and water, but this tends to errode metal. All I have ever used is alcohol, I put some in a spray bottle to spray my table down before a client sits and also for my clients hands after they wash them. Sterilization in a salon setting is indeed impratical because it would mean to keep free from germs air and everything else so you can see how that would not be possible...

Latest posts

Back