Saying bye to a family pet

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnailsbylisax

Reaction score
Ok so i'm sorry for the depressing thread so early morning but i'm a mess :(

We have had our family cat for 18 years & in half an hour she is getting put to sleep. She can't walk, isn't eating/drinking etc & the vet has advised there is nothin else to do & that if we leave her any longer she will no doubt suffer. Is it normal to feel like a family member has passed? I know it sounds OTT but we are all sat here in tears, even my dad :( we know it is for the best but didn't think i would feel this upset.

She is a family member and you have been with her a long time. Just because she is not human does not make her any less of a person. 18 years must hold a lot of happy memories and in the weeks to come it will be easier to revisit them
My heart goes out to you and I know nothing I say will lessen the hurt, I am thinking of you.
Vicki x

Aaah that is so sad yes it's normal to feel like this ! Hope your ok x

Thankyou for your replies. I am in two minds whether to go with my mam & dad when it happens :( you're right, 18 years is a long time. I can still remember picking her & her brother out of the litter when i was little. Sadly he passed away 6 years ago due to cancer :( hopefully i will feel a little better later i think its just the process of it all x

Losing a pet is like losing a family member. When our golden retriever was put to sleep it broke my heart. She had been with us since I was 11 and my sister was a baby. She was a member of our family.

She got old and sick and had a massive tumour in her neck. It was one of the hardest things to do, to say goodbye and I was in tears cuddling and talking to her before she went to the vets.

I now have a golden retreiver and 2 cats of my own and it pains me now thinking that they will go.

Its really sad but unfortunately its one of lifes upsets. Just think your cat will no longer be in pain and will not have to suffer. Its hard to let go but you have to put your pets interests before your heart and ultimately do the best thing.

Hugs xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

We have had our family cat for 18 years & in half an hour she is getting put to sleep. She can't walk, isn't eating/drinking etc & the vet has advised there is nothin else to do & that if we leave her any longer she will no doubt suffer. Is it normal to feel like a family member has passed? I know it sounds OTT but we are all sat here in tears, even my dad :( we know it is for the best but didn't think i would feel this upset.

Yes, it's perfectly normal to feel like this x I had to have my 15 year old Yorkshire terrier put to sleep on vets' advice nearly four years ago and I cried like a baby. She was most definitely a member of my family and I really grieved for her and can still get upset at times, just like I would with a human who I'd loved and lost.

I felt incredibly guilty, but within two days I'd installed a six week old Yorkie pup into our home and he's been another absolute joy ever since. They are totally totally different in disposition/character, just as the rest of us, but it really helped to have another little one to look after and still is. I couldn't replace her, I just got a different one. My heart goes out to you. x

We had to have our old lady dog put to sleep just after New Year. Like you, my parents were both very upset and it's horrible to see. Also my brother, since he was only a toddler when we got her.

It's perfectly normal to feel like this is a massive loss to your family- it is! In a few days time, it'll start to feel easier and you'll eventually come to terms with it. It's for the best, and you can feel proud that you gave her the best life she could have had!

Hope you feel better soon! X

We had to have our old lady dog put to sleep just after New Year. Like you, my parents were both very upset and it's horrible to see. Also my brother, since he was only a toddler when we got her.

It's perfectly normal to feel like this is a massive loss to your family- it is! In a few days time, it'll start to feel easier and you'll eventually come to terms with it. It's for the best, and you can feel proud that you gave her the best life she could have had!

Hope you feel better soon! X

Thankyou :) i was 6 when we got her & her brother & i can remember picking them both out. I feel abit better actually being there when they did it although it was heartbreaking at the time. Turns out she had cancer also just like her brother did. She had a tumour in her stomach which probably explains the loss of appetite. Never realised how quick it was (the procedure) so atleast if she was in any pain, she isn't anymore x

This has made me cry just reading it.
I'm sorry and I hope you will soon feel better, knowing that she was spared suffering by your kindness.
X

This has made me cry just reading it.
I'm sorry and I hope you will soon feel better, knowing that she was spared suffering by your kindness.
X

Sorry i didn't mean to make anyone cry just wanted to ask if feeling this low was the norm :hugs: sure we will all feel better in a few days xx

Aww hunni sending you and yours big hugs. I was the same when my terrier Lucy had to be put to sleep, she was 15. I felt better being there. It was the last thing I could do for her.
I was also in bits when my cat was killed, I cried for days. I still get emotional talking about them so it's completely normal.
Xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

On Sunday I had to have my German shepherd put to sleep and I'm in pieces so I know where you are at.

He was my working police dog and I kept him after he retired. He had a hard start as a pup and it took years of hard work to get his confidence back.

He was like my right arm and im completely lost and in bits

However I'm glad I was with him at the end and he passed away peacefully in my arms with the people that loved him talking to him whilst he peacefully dozed off - so please go with your cat and stay with her.

I won't lie - it's crap, it sucks when your pet leave you , but they get old and tired and have to leave to go play in the meadow and chase mice - but will join them one day and that's what's keeping me going at the moment.

Have a cry, get drunk, grieve, talk, cry some more, get angry at the world and them for leaving you but it will get easier.

It's only been 3 days but I'm starting to eat again, and back working trying to be normal like he would have wanted.

I'm getting his ashes back and hoping that will make him feel close to me.

I've kept his dog tag to put on my key ring, getting another tattoo of him this time on my arm, I'm making a calendar of him and gonna get a necklace with a pic of him, the things I need to do to help me grieve.

Do the things u need to do, recognise the things that happen after they pass to show u they are still there - because they are. They only leave in physical appearance never in spirt. Xxx

On Sunday I had to have my German shepherd put to sleep and I'm in pieces so I know where you are at.

He was my working police dog and I kept him after he retired. He had a hard start as a pup and it took years of hard work to get his confidence back.

He was like my right arm and im completely lost and in bits

However I'm glad I was with him at the end and he passed away peacefully in my arms with the people that loved him talking to him whilst he peacefully dozed off - so please go with your cat and stay with her.

I won't lie - it's crap, it sucks when your pet leave you , but they get old and tired and have to leave to go play in the meadow and chase mice - but will join them one day and that's what's keeping me going at the moment.

Have a cry, get drunk, grieve, talk, cry some more, get angry at the world and them for leaving you but it will get easier.

It's only been 3 days but I'm starting to eat again, and back working trying to be normal like he would have wanted.

I'm getting his ashes back and hoping that will make him feel close to me.

I've kept his dog tag to put on my key ring, getting another tattoo of him this time on my arm, I'm making a calendar of him and gonna get a necklace with a pic of him, the things I need to do to help me grieve.

Do the things u need to do, recognise the things that happen after they pass to show u they are still there - because they are. They only leave in physical appearance never in spirt. Xxx

Thankyou this has helped alot. The strange thing is, when we first got her, the first thing she did was climb up my Dad & sit on his shoulder & lay around his neck. She didn't do it again, just the once. We ALWAYS laughed & smiled about that moment. As we sat down in the vets, she did it again the same way just before we got called in. Kind of weird how she did the same thing she did coming to us as she did leaving. I will always remember that :)

So sorry for your loss. Can't imagine what you are going through after putting all those hours into training with her xx

Sorry for your loss. I could have written this today as I was doing exactly the same as you. My Tigger would have been 20 later this year!

Sorry for your loss. I could have written this today as I was doing exactly the same as you. My Tigger would have been 20 later this year!

:( hope your ok xx

Big hugs everyone. It doesn't matter how big they are my guinea pig Penny passed two years ago. I went to bed for two days, I thought the world had come to an end.

Big hugs everyone. It doesn't matter how big they are my guinea pig Penny passed two years ago. I went to bed for two days, I thought the world had come to an end.

I have been in bed since dinnertime but better snap out of it & brave college tonight :) just hope i can fool people so nobody asks about it lol

I have been in bed since dinnertime but better snap out of it & brave college tonight :) just hope i can fool people so nobody asks about it lol

Awwww don't be hard on yourself - everyone deals with things differently. I feel your pain. Most people took the micky when I became distraught about my Guinea..... someone even said I should have put her under the back wheel of my car rather than spend £250 on trying to save her.....it wasn't about the money. She was a part of my family.

Latest posts

Back