Scammers and thieves!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley Blakemore

The Beauty Room
Reaction score
Bit of a long one...I was in work today at the nail desk doing a client and some guy walked in and handed me a leaflet that once i had a closer look was a chester zoo leaflet, he had a bunch of these in his hand and as i was taking a closer look he reached down and swiped my iphone off the reception desk. I don't ever leave my phone out, its always in the kitchen in the back but i was expecting a call from my boss, sods law! He kept saying 20p 20p and i realised he was having me on & i didn't have the time or patience for this so told him no. As soon as he had left i looked over at my phone & it had gone!! So i ran out after him and demanded my bloody phone back!! I don't know what i was thinking but i just lost it, he kept saying no no & patting his pockets! He actually came back into the salon and while i pressed myself up against the door to stop him leaving he quickly placed it down on my nail desk, i didn't even see him do it! So i grabbed it moved out of the way & told him to leave & never come back! It was so so hard to keep calm & continue with my client when i was shaking like a leaf & try not letting the client know i was in shock & just wanted to cry! I rang the police & reported it but now i don't feel safe in work & I'm on my own all weekend, boss is away. My husband got in his van and waited outside for 1/2 hour for me to finish & shut up shop bless him because he was worried & i felt much safer that my big man was outside waiting to bash this guy in if he came back. But I'm quiet disturbed as nothing like this has ever happened! So everyone be aware of this as it might be a new thing these gangs are trying!! Has anyone else had anything like this happen at work??

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband was at his job the other day waiting for his partner when he caught sight of a guy waiting at a phone box asking people desperately for 60p for the phone to make an emergency call some people ignored him some rummaged around and only found a pound but let him have it he even asked people in cars.All a scam he occasionally went in the phone box but never made a call.my husband thinks he made about a fiver in 15 mins.Lots of scammers about.

Its horrible to think that there are people out there! A few months ago an old guy carrying a leather folder walked into the salon & told the receptionist he was from a local newspaper & he was gathering business cards to put in a page of the newspaper, when the receptionist told him the boss wasn't in he then told her he had spoken to her & that he was here to collect the £20. The receptionist took his word for it, he even wrote out a receipt, took a business card and casually walked out. My suspicions came when i remembered our cards only have the name & number & why would the manager pay £20 when it has no info about what we do etc. When he opened his folder he had loads of cards which i suspect were other duped businesses as my manager hadn't spoken to anyone regarding advertising!

I'm sorry that you had to go through this, but thank you for posting. My nail desk is at the front of the shop and I quite often have my iPad/iPhone and chip n pin device on my desk...this will prompt me to put them away from now on.

I remember years ago that a popular scam was people coming into the salon to buy the cheapest hair product with a £50 note but on closer inspection the notes were fake...we stopped accepting them unless they were from regular clients. x

I think its just awful to do things like this to honest business owners. Its hard enough out there to make a living without these disgusting people. I really do applaud you for standing up to this guy though and getting your phone back. When I went to paris, there was a massive romanian gang trying to scam people, pickpocket and steal at the train station. Theyd run for the hills when the police came, but come straight back again. Theyd force and harrass people to sign there paper and give them money. One poor sod had his malteasers grabbed from his hand while eating them..!

If working by yourself easy solution is lock the door. Only allow a client at a time in an lock door immediately after them. My hair dresser does this, never think anything of it.

My friend was having a lunch break. It was a nice day so she was sitting outside. Some guy came and asked her for cigarette. She gave him one and he left. Only then she realised that her sandwich was gone.:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back