Scared I can't do it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirsty28

Reaction score
Hi. I started my college course itec level 2 beauty back in september and im there 2 days a week for a year and it dont feel like long enough to me and its all going so quick.
Im just worried i cant do the final exam and that i will fail im not good under pressure and being a mum i find it hard to revise and practise on people when im not in college.
I have a bad memory and am struggling to remember everything im being taught and i dont want to fall behind.
I can never imagine a time that i will be a competant beauty therapist with great skills even though thats my dream.
Its all really difficult and i just want to be good at it and i only have 6 months left in my couse.
Does or has anyone ever felt like this?

kirsty x

Time poor yes, I don't have trouble studying but the written work is what I get behind in. Work out your style of learning, it makes things easier I learn from seeing, doing and hearing mostly others learn from copying notes. If you learn from notes writing down information can help it stick in your head. Not just reading it. I read and do that way it sticks. Went a whole year in highschool without writing a word in my book and got 98% on exam, lucky my teacher didn't check my book as it was blank. He knew I knew what was required.

Hi. I started my college course itec level 2 beauty back in september and im there 2 days a week for a year and it dont feel like long enough to me and its all going so quick.
Im just worried i cant do the final exam and that i will fail im not good under pressure and being a mum i find it hard to revise and practise on people when im not in college.
I have a bad memory and am struggling to remember everything im being taught and i dont want to fall behind.
I can never imagine a time that i will be a competant beauty therapist with great skills even though thats my dream.
Its all really difficult and i just want to be good at it and i only have 6 months left in my couse.
Does or has anyone ever felt like this?

kirsty x

I felt like this during and after level two so youre drfinately not on your own with how you feel. Some people will say its easy but i think its a lot to take in.

Due to a lack of models to practice on i used to watch a lot of youtube videos done by pros to at least familiarise myself with treatments a bit more. Other than that, definately share your concerns with your tutors because they are there to help.

Speak to your tutors hun, they may be able to have you stay behind for an hour or so 1 to 1 to get help with what you're struggling with. 2 days a week can be limiting but like the other poster says youtube videos can be very helpful, as well as this salon forum theres some great tutorials. Don't think so much about the end goal thinking you wont be good enough, the course isnt finished yet hun, just take your time and ask for help.
Don't know if you can but maybe get a babysitter/family/friend to look after your child for a few hours one day a week so you can practice the treatments? (shops and facebook are good for advertising for models)!

Relax honey it takes some time. In the interim without people to practice on, you could write down the steps you need for each treatment to familiarise yourself with routines- sometimes that's half the battle. What time do your little ones go to bed? If early enough get a few of your girlfriends round, and turn it in to a girly night where you do the pampering. If you have a partner or hubby practice on him too. Can't tell you how many times I've used hubby's hands for practicing routines, perfecting skills and trying new products- i still do this now. Also as you're learning your routines that you've written down mime the treatment. I found this really helped when practicing hand, foot, leg and arm massages.

Lastly as has been said, have a little word with your tutors and see if there is any extra help available. Set some time aside and stick to it, so one night is course work, another practical and so on.

Good luck lovey, I'm sure you'll be fine, just try to manage your time and use it wisely and try really hard not to let it get on top of you. xxxxx:hug:

Just wanted to add that I'm a different therapist now to the one who qualified 12 years ago. I think beauty courses are a bit like learning to drive...you learn enough to tick the boxes and pass, and to work safely, but you still have to work to refine your skills and become a better therapist. So if you're feeling you're not working at the standard you want to be yet, don't panic. It will all come in time.

Speak to your tutors, they will help and listen, and try and get as much practice in as you can. You could offer your services to other mums in the area? Organise an evening when two or three mums come over and you practice in an informal environment (you could even have one as designated babysitter?).
Good luck xxx

Ah yes Happyfeet I did all sorts of unspeakable things to my OH when I was training, eg when I'd just training in hot stone he screamed 'Are you trying to kill me?!' etc!

Latest posts

Back