Scared to get started with nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fran_a89

Reaction score
I feel like I'm putting off getting started with nails and wonder if this is just a normal feeling?

I've done manicure, pedicure and gel polish training and plan to do a brand specific gel polish training (looking likely to be Gelish but have just had some shellac done on my nails to trial that too)

I just feel Like everything has to be perfect before I get going but also I need the practise on other people to build confidence!
I've got an idea on a business name and I like it but keep going round and round in circles as to whether it's quite right and start doubting everything and feel like that's such a big decision when in reality it's not really!

Im planning on just offering gel polish manicures mainly to start with (I'm assuming I will get more demand for this than regular polish) and then adding skills and doing more training as I go...

I plan to do this around a full time job - starting to freak out about whether this is at all practical. I'm hoping it I enjoy it and it goes well it may be a way out of my current job... has anyone done this?

Sorry for the rambling post I guess I just wanted to know if it's normal to feel like this and how it was when you started out?

Totally get that! I'm in the same boat!
I've recently become a beauty therapist an nail tech but so scared to start out as I feel like I'm not good enough.

I've now spoken to a few people an they said do ur treatments cheap to start with an let the client know your new to ur work an that way they have the choice. If they don't like it they won't come back an if they do it's great plus a confidence boost!!

Good luck!!

I'm the same! I work full time and love my job but wanted to go part time and do nails part time so I could spend more time with my kids and do the school run etc.

I feel fairly confident in gel polish but it's not perfect and I don't want to offer it until it is. I've also trained in acrylic and gel extensions. I don't feel confident at all in acrylics but enjoy gel and they look pretty good. I'm really, really slow though! I know I need to practice but feel the same that I want to be perfect before offering treatments but I won't get better without practice. It's a vicious circle!

Sorry I can't offer any advise but your not alone feeling like this x

I started over a year and a half ago and I've been very lucky that during summer and Christmas I'm fully booked however it can take a long time to build up regular clients.

I also wouldn't do cheap treatments as it doesn't always attract loyal clientele. It attracts those looking for a bargain who will go anywhere to get one.

Good service, clean and professional salon etc will bring clients back.

Ask them to tag your business page on social media. Post lots of pics and get your followers to engage with your posts. Not just likes, interact with them so they continue to see your posts as do their friends.

What I did when I started was offering a 30% off for a limited amount of time, mainly to attract clients, but also as I wanted to build up my own confidence.
Now I pretty much rely on word of mouth, for example this week I gave a client a few nail tips with some sample nail designs before her next appointment, so she could think about what she wanted beforehand, this resulted in her sister booking an appointment as she loved the designs. Sometimes it's the simple things that work out. :)

Just to put a spanner in the works,if u only did uv gel polish what will u do with someone who comes to you with 9 long nails and one broken one??

Thanks everyone that's really helpful. I've been practising a lot on myself, my mum and colleagues and am definitely better than at the start so I know I'm
Improving. The shellac I had done at a salon yesterday (as I wanted to trial it) was actually a good experience as although it looks great i didn't think it was that much better than anything I have done recently on myself anyway. Also was interesting in the process itself compared to my training.

I'm planning on doing them from home (in a spare room) and I will also offer mobile - just plan to see what demand there is for either.

My biggest hurdle really is deciding on a brand (which I posted about before). I like the shellac that was put on yesterday but want to see how long it lasts as I was initially set on Gelish. I am wondering if as it's slightly more hardwearing on weak nails from what I understand and it may suit more clients (especially as at the moment I can't offer any kind of overlay treatment).
There is a Gelish course near me (well within 2 hrs drive!) in December which I have earmarked if I decide to go with that!

I have been taking photos for a portfolio on social media accounts so just need to finalise the 'name' and I can get these set up. I plan to make as much out of social media as possible.

Just to put a spanner in the works,if u only did uv gel polish what will u do with someone who comes to you with 9 long nails and one broken one??

I plan to be able to offer extensions at some stage next year but I feel I need to kick start this new venture and start being confident just dealing with clients and the basic mani's/pedis first.
That was what I was advised via the training I did as well.

I will make it clear that obviously I won't be able to sculpt something... I appreciate it will limit clients initially but if it can give me a start then given time I can build on skills and at the same time work towards changing my career. (If of course I enjoy it as much as I am hoping and expecting to)

Latest posts

Back