scissors

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
hi, i use the jaguar cj4 scissors at the mo, they are 5" ones and i love them, can't work with anything bigger. They have a comfy bend in the thumb hole so its a bit more comfy to use, my q is what is the benefit of offset? and i really need new ones but am lost as to what i want, apart from them to be wee, 5", and comfy. I tried the girl who works with mes scissors and hers are just straight handles and its a pain in the bahookie to use them. any suggestions? I looked at joewell and jaguar and saw a few but just dont know whats what. the ones i am using i thought about just getting the same again but the pictures look like they have been changed since i got mine. thanks in advance x

I changed to offset about 3 years ago, and boy what a difference. I just don't get tired hands any more. I use 5 1/2" Joewell and I have just found it easier to get more precision with these scissors. Especially when doing bobs or any angled cut that you would do on the neck or face. :)

i feel like im picking only based on size, so i think i will try offset as they look a lot more like the pair i am using at the moment. i love my tiny scissors, 5 and halfs feel huge for me and i know someone who uses 6's and they are like garden shears to me!! i use jaguar at the mo but these were given to me by my previous employer so i've never really picked my own pair of scissors, and just don't know if there is anything i should be looking for specifically. x

oh they are gorge!!!!!!i know it sounds silly but i like ones that look comfy. some of them are just two chunks of metal launched together. :D thank you xx

was just having a nosey through threads n had a wee look on here.. never realised scissors were so expensive :O totally pointless reply i know lol :) x

Last edited:
tell me about it...i had set myself a budget of about £150 for them..its now creeping up to £200...and now i seen a pair that is £220 and i'm like arrrgggghhhhhH!!!!!

and i told my trainee stylist i would pay for hers and she would pay me back over a couple of months in her wages now im thinking it will cost soooo much!!!! :D xxx

Hi Kimi , I use the Jowell Classiscs too , and the Jaguar satin plus 5 and a half inch

I would go for a pair of Jowell scissors in whatever style you want
as they are fabby scissors
or if you want hard wearing every day ( not too scared of dropping) type then go for the jaguar ,

my reasons for liking the jowell Classic and the Jaguar satin plus is because they are very similar they are both slicey and razor edged
they both have the pinkie finger rest swhich can be left on taken off and they both have optional inserts on both brands
also they have teeny silencers on both brands , and other important things for me is they have honed slightly tips
that are not too pointed
as I hate using pointy tipped scissors as they can easily cut and scratch the ears and neck neck whilst trimming

the only difference is the weights
the jaguar satin plus are a little heavier and not as expensive as the Jowell
but just as good in performance

my Jaguars went a bit blunt after many many years :lol::lol: so
I had to send my beloved jaguars back to the factory for a free sharpening service and factory balance ..... and thinking they wouldnt be as good as they used to be , but they came back overhauled and sharpened like brand new :eek: first time thats ever happend to me :lol:

I then bought the Jowell ones which were bit lighter but equally as good
until my jaguars returned , I use the ones I pick up first :)

I also use the jaguar thinners in 5 inch as the closure on the tips seems better on shorter ones

I dont use the serrated edged scissors as that means I would have to swap over and change to different scissors for slicy cutting techniques

I too love the look of the offset but they dont fit my big thumb knuckles very well ,
I also love the look of those bamboo shaped ones

I dont think I would go over £250 for scissors as I would be worried in case
I dropped them and threw the balance out :)

and I have done this before with my £100 scissors , and they were never the same again :sad:
hth minky :)

Hi Minky.

The offset ones I posted are quite roomy. They remind me a bit of of barbers scissors but sleeker.
I used Jaguar satin way back. However, once I got my first Joewell (18 odd years ago), I never looked back. I do prefer Joewell to Jaguar, I just find them harder wearing. This current pair are 4 years old and are still going strong!

The bamboo ones are great. I am going to treat myself to pair. I have used them before and they are great for extension cutting. You can just slice through the extensions, like butter, to get a great blend.

I don't mind what I pay for scissors and have no upper limit. They are the tools of my trade and earn me a lot of money! :)

thanks very much everyone for their help. i have heard a lot of websites allow you to return so may order a pair and see what happens... :D xx

Hi i use miraki viper scissors, they are brilliant scissors for precision cutting, slicing and texturising...sooo comfy and light. they are a bit dearer but i just saved and saved, but well worth the wait. My rep that used to come in my salon used to bring a large choice, so you could try them out before buying. hth

Hi i use miraki viper scissors, they are brilliant scissors for precision cutting, slicing and texturising...sooo comfy and light. they are a bit dearer but i just saved and saved, but well worth the wait. My rep that used to come in my salon used to bring a large choice, so you could try them out before buying. hth

Hi bandit , I think this is a fab idea and a great way to try scissors out
before buying ,

as the assistants in Sallys or Salons Direct cannot just leave you with them ,
so they wait while you look at them all :rolleyes: and all the people are the queuing up behind you :eek:
so your under loads of pressure to choose
and its hard to feel the weight in your hand and test scissors under such a lot of pressure and so little testing time ,

here are the ones I like Kimi but perhaps a half inch longer :lol:
http://www.salonsdirect.com/product/hair/scissors/scissors/joewell-nb-series-5in-offset-scissor

:) x minky

Latest posts

Back