Scratch Mag L&P swirl

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAIL FRENZY

Reaction score
Hi,

I have tried to search for the answer to this on the site but have'nt been able to find anything. A few months ago I seen an article in the Scratch Mag where the nails were L&P and a swirl had been created using a pin etched into the almost set acrylic and a different coloured powder was added in to the swirl. I know its a long shot but does anybody know which month this article appeared in. The nails were beautiful and if I remember correctly they were various shades of brown.

I would love to try this technique but cannot remember the procedure. Its really frustrating because I have obviously got the magazine, but despite searching through them all several times :irked: I just can't find the article.

Hi suzy, i think i know what you are talking about, it was an ad for CND 'exhibit' enamel collection, but it was using enamel not acrylic, it will be in an autumn edition i think x

elfprincessem said:
Hi suzy, i think i know what you are talking about, it was an ad for CND 'exhibit' enamel collection, but it was using enamel not acrylic, it will be in an autumn edition i think x

Thanks for this, I will have another search (with a little more patience this time!). I think I thought it was l&p as I was almost certain "powder" was mentioned. I bet it would look fab with l&p though.

You were right Sweetie, they did do a swirl in L&P. Have the issue in front of me, but the cover hasn't got the month on! It has a woman singing into a microphone, def autumn though as the colours are all autumnal. The Swirl design you are refering to is on pg20.

hth x x

just grabbed my copy from my 'nail library' lol, it's the September edition of Scratch :wink2:

ValencianNails said:
just grabbed my copy from my 'nail library' lol, it's the September edition of Scratch :wink2:

:o :o :o :o could you tell that from the spine of the mag!!:o :o :o :o LOL!

rjryan said:
:o :o :o :o could you tell that from the spine of the mag!!:o :o :o :o LOL!

:D how'd you guess lol...

i don't subscribe to snatch but i get the sister magazine Nails magazine and that was December for us in the states. so you could also go to nails magazine.com and see it as well.

Nafia said:
i don't subscribe to snatch but i get the sister magazine Nails magazine and that was December for us in the states. so you could also go to nails magazine.com and see it as well.
I DONT SUBSCRIBE TO SNATCH EITHER, ITS SOUNDS LIKE A DIRTY MAG TO ME!!:twisted:

jac extreme said:
I DONT SUBSCRIBE TO SNATCH EITHER, ITS SOUNDS LIKE A DIRTY MAG TO ME!!:twisted:

LOL!

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate your help, I know what I will be doing tomorrow.

i know exactly what you're talking about! it was in summer nails mag here, in a pull out creative ad (looked kinda' like a little booklet)

i tried it, and it looked kinda' neat. but for the record, it works best with dark colors. i tried it with pastels first and it didn't show up very well.

Did you use l&p or enamel?

l&p

i used a mix of brick house and morning glory for a background, then took a pin and make little swirly lines in it, covered the lines with lily of the valley and buffed the excess off. and when the nail was complete, i made some 3d daisies so the green swirlies were the stems and leaves, make sense?

that one didn't turn out so bright, but i think if i had used the gemstone colors it would of been more noticable.

and i did one with the carnival colors, made some circular swirls, masquerade for the background and voodoo for the swirls and it showed up *ka-pow!* but those colors are more striking.

twinkletoes910 said:
i did one with the carnival colors, made some circular swirls, masquerade for the background and voodoo for the swirls and it showed up *ka-pow!* but those colors are more striking.

Would have loved to see a piccy of that!
Sounds lovely
:D

twinkletoes910 said:
l&p

i used a mix of brick house and morning glory for a background, then took a pin and make little swirly lines in it, covered the lines with lily of the valley and buffed the excess off. and when the nail was complete, i made some 3d daisies so the green swirlies were the stems and leaves, make sense?

that one didn't turn out so bright, but i think if i had used the gemstone colors it would of been more noticable.

and i did one with the carnival colors, made some circular swirls, masquerade for the background and voodoo for the swirls and it showed up *ka-pow!* but those colors are more striking.

Do you have any pictures Nikki?

Ok, I found the actual ad... here's word for word the instructions

Step 1
Custom blend the Fancy Flirt's favorite Fall shade. Coat the entire nail and while the product is moist, carve swirls with a dull pin. Apply a thin coat of Mosaic Terra Cotta Powder to fill in your swirls and buff once set.

Step 2
Create a second layer of swirls by using Perfect Color Clear Powder, carving new swirls and filling them with Metro Golden City Powder mixed evenly with Mosaic Golden Glass Powder.

Step 3
Buff between each layer to reveal your crisp swirl design. The building up of layers will create depth in your pattern.

Step 4
Creative one more layer of swirls, using Mosaic Black Powder. Let dry and buff to a high shine.

I think the reason people thought it was enamel is because at the bottom of the add, they have custom blended powders coming out of the fall enamel bottles.

I'll make up some tips to show off:o . Unfortunately my daughter has lost my digital camera, so I'll have to borrow my dad's. But no biggie... I'll be back w/ pics tomorrow!:)

I know this may sound dumb but when you carve out the swirls with a pin do you fill them in only with the powder acrylic or do you mix the liquid and powder together first?

you mix the 2... just like a regular bead

Latest posts

Back