Sculpting help, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah22

Reaction score
Can somebody PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong?!

Sometimes after I've sculpted gel enhancements, a tiny crack appears at the side of the nail and eventually the length breaks off.

I've contacted my training company (Bio Sculpture) and I went for a one to one, but I'm still not any wiser!!

Am I not putting enough free edge gel on at the sides?

Please help :-(
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370890047.952315.jpg

Where are you Sarah? You could take a trip down to me if you want and I'll try and help you.

I get the exact same thing!! :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Where are you Sarah? You could take a trip down to me if you want and I'll try and help you.

Awwww thanks Rinn, I really appreciate it but I'm in Northern Ireland, are you not in the South?

Awwww thanks Rinn, I really appreciate it but I'm in Northern Ireland, are you not in the South?

30 minutes south of the border.

I would get back to Bio so if you're still having problems. I think the best thing is to get 1-2-1 so you can be walked through it and your technique perfected

30 minutes south of the border.

I would get back to Bio so if you're still having problems. I think the best thing is to get 1-2-1 so you can be walked through it and your technique perfected

I've already had a one to one, she went through the whole application, I did it on her and she said it was fine!

It only happens sometimes, do you think I'm not putting enough free edge gel at the sides where the cracks are appearing?

Even when they start to crack, they're still really strong?!

I've already had a one to one, she went through the whole application, I did it on her and she said it was fine!

It only happens sometimes, do you think I'm not putting enough free edge gel at the sides where the cracks are appearing?

Even when they start to crack, they're still really strong?!

It must be that, just be more conscious of it and pay extra attention when you are working on that area.

It must be that, just be more conscious of it and pay extra attention when you are working on that area.

Thank you. I'll try it out and if it's still not working, I'll maybe take you up on your offer!! Thanks SO much.

I don't do bio sculpture. Once applied do you file like with normal gel enhancements to refine the shape. If so could it be that you are filing a little to much in that area so weakening the sidewalls.

just a different thought. Good luck hope you resolve it xxxxx

I don't do bio sculpture. Once applied do you file like with normal gel enhancements to refine the shape. If so could it be that you are filing a little to much in that area so weakening the sidewalls.

just a different thought. Good luck hope you resolve it xxxxx

Yes that's definitely a possibility!! I think I do file too much because I'm conscious of leaving them too thick!! Xx

It could also be that your form isn't applied properly. Make sure it is not slipping from under the nail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

I'm by no means an expert, so please don't be offended, but your apex looks a little flat. Possibly, your side walls are a little weaker as you don't have the supporting apex. I've been able to have thinner enhancements by ensuring I kept the supporting apex. I'm only familiar with CND products though so I don't know how other products "behave". I will say though that Rinn is fantastic so if you can, I would take up her offer xxx

Edited for spelling x

@ DBD:o..xx

Sarah I had a look through the photos of nails you posted . Do you check the side profile of each nail at all? On some of them you don't seem to have placed your apex properly.
As DBD has pointed out this is where you strenght is.
I use YN and scuplt out the extension, shape it and the apply builder gel down the centre as in the ''log'' formation as advised on here by Geeg (she's not the main contributor on here for nothing .:hug:)
Draw out from the central log to the sides as in ''xmas tree formation'' ( as per Fee Wallace at the Event) .
Then most importantly before you start your final filing check your nail...from all angles. side view will show you if you have a nice gentle slope, if you have any dips now is the time to fill them in.
check down the barrel and from the clients view too.
If you read through the tutorials on here you will pick up lots of info also check out the critiques section ...you will also get tips here as you look at the pictures and read the associated critiques .
Go easy on the filing, take your time, stop and check your shape and proceed carefully to refine where needed.

I'm by no means an expert, so please don't be offended, but your apex looks a little flat. Possibly, your side walls are a little weaker as you don't have the supporting apex. I've been able to have thinner enhancements by ensuring I kept the supporting apex. I'm only familiar with CND products though so I don't know how other products "behave". I will say though that Rinn is fantastic so if you can, I would take up her offer xxx

Edited for spelling x

I'm not offended at all, I'm grateful for the advice!

I have real problems with placing the apex 😩 By the time I get the lumps and bumps and dips out before curing, it's went flat on me. Xx

@ DBD:o..xx

Sarah I had a look through the photos of nails you posted . Do you check the side profile of each nail at all? On some of them you don't seem to have placed your apex properly.
As DBD has pointed out this is where you strenght is.
I use YN and scuplt out the extension, shape it and the apply builder gel down the centre as in the ''log'' formation as advised on here by Geeg (she's not the main contributor on here for nothing .:hug:)
Draw out from the central log to the sides as in ''xmas tree formation'' ( as per Fee Wallace at the Event) .
Then most importantly before you start your final filing check your nail...from all angles. side view will show you if you have a nice gentle slope, if you have any dips now is the time to fill them in.
check down the barrel and from the clients view too.
If you read through the tutorials on here you will pick up lots of info also check out the critiques section ...you will also get tips here as you look at the pictures and read the associated critiques .
Go easy on the filing, take your time, stop and check your shape and proceed carefully to refine where needed.

Thank you Rinn.

Where do I find the tutorials, do I have to go onto the main site? I'm currently accessing the site through the app.

No, I don't put on a "log" that's maybe where I'm going wrong! The educator at Bio told me to put on a "ball" and drip and drag it into place. However when I do, I just seem to flatten it. Probably poor brush control? I'm such a disaster!

Latest posts

Back