Sculpting with CND and NSI together ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliché

Reaction score
Hello,

I was trained with CND, but I recently discovered NSI. I love NSI's color range in acrylic powders A LOT more than CND.

My question:

Can I sculpt nails using BOTH CND and NSI together?

For example, if I wanted to use a silver NSI powder for tips, and CND soft pink powder for the rest of the nail, would that work? Or would the nail end up lifting or cracking later on?

Thank you so much!

It's not really recommended to mix systems... Maybe someone with more experience than me can give you some pointers :)

you shouldn't mix one brands monomer with another brands powder, can you not add silver glitter into cnd powder, or is nsi silver not glittery?

you shouldn't mix one brands monomer with another brands powder, can you not add silver glitter into cnd powder, or is nsi silver not glittery?

My problem is that I'm not able to find glitters to add to CND at all. I bought clear CND powder for that exact reason but every supplier I've been to has no idea what I'm talking about when I ask them for glitters or colors to mix in with CND.

NSI colored powder is perfectly fine, but I have brand new pots of CND soft pink and monomer, I don't want to waste them. My clients aren't interested in white tips.

Do you have any suggestions where I could get colors and glitter to mix in with CND clear? I don't mind ordering online as long as they ship to Canada.

Last edited:
Surley you can do this if u use the monomer for the NSI And the monomer for CND. I have done it and it was fine I just made sure I used the correct monomer for each system HTH

I honestly don't know how this would work out as we don't normally suggest to mix brands but my thoughts are.....

If you use the correct monomer for each brand and use the correct brush for each monomer from each company (you should never use the one brush in 2 different branded monomers, it will contaminate your brush and cause service breakdown) I don't see why it couldn't work.
Especially as you are sculpting, the free edge color you wish to use from NSI will but up against the smile line of CND product, not actually mix with it I suppose. I would make sure the nail body/smile line is set before adding the NSI F/E though.
Then use which ever brand and color (pink or clear) you prefer as your top layer over both in a thin layer to cap.

But in saying all that, when you go to buy glitter (it should be cosmetic grade so it's very very small particles) it doesn't matter which brand you are putting the glitter into and I would take a guess as to this is why the people you are asking, are not giving you answers, cause it doesn't matter what brand and unless CND themselves are selling glitter to specifically put in their clear powders, you can buy any brand of glitter to put in any brand of powder.......what's important is to get your mix right so your product still sets correctly.
Most craft stores have the glitter in the small grades but when you go in to check them out, you can see for yourself on the packaging what size glitter it is, the smaller the better I find anyway:)

I use only NSI products and I can agree with you that they have the best color selection when it comes to that side of acrylic powder colors:)

I use only NSI products and I can agree with you that they have the best color selection when it comes to that side of acrylic powder colors:)

At this point I'm considering going out to buy the NSI pink/clear and monomer just to make my life easier and keep my CND pink and white for clients that only ever want white tips.

I was trained with CND only, but NSI seems to be working exactly the same way, is it not ?

I buy all my glitters from different suppliers. ie. Martha Stewart, Hobbycraft, Naio etc. The acrylic system i use is CND and i find that every glitter i've ever used, mixes perfectly with CND clear powder. Just make sure you get the ratio right and you shouldn't have a problem. I have also used different brand coloured powders as a tip and then encased in my usual brand, CND. Never have i had a problem. HTH.

I buy all my glitters from different suppliers. ie. Martha Stewart, Hobbycraft, Naio etc. The acrylic system i use is CND and i find that every glitter i've ever used, mixes perfectly with CND clear powder. Just make sure you get the ratio right and you shouldn't have a problem. I have also used different brand coloured powders as a tip and then encased in my usual brand, CND. Never have i had a problem. HTH.

So what you're saying basically is I could buy any kind of glitter from practically anywhere (for example, these?) mix them in my CND clear powder and I'll be fine and dandy and good to go? :lol: 1 part glitter, 3 parts clear powder, right ?

So what you're saying basically is I could buy any kind of glitter from practically anywhere (for example, these?) mix them in my CND clear powder and I'll be fine and dandy and good to go? :lol: 1 part glitter, 3 parts clear powder, right ?

Well i've definately never had a problem. I always buy cosmetic grade glitter which, as you know is very fine and mix 1/3. I've been doing this for 5 years and have never had come backs regarding breakages etc. Sometimes you just can't find the colour glitters/acrylics in the colours that you want in your chosen system. Good luck. :biggrin:

Well i've definately never had a problem. I always buy cosmetic grade glitter which, as you know is very fine and mix 1/3. I've been doing this for 5 years and have never had come backs regarding breakages etc. Sometimes you just can't find the colour glitters/acrylics in the colours that you want in your chosen system. Good luck. :biggrin:

Great! I'll give it a try and hope for the best. Thank you so much!

Thanks everyone~~~

Of course, anymore tips, suggestions and knowledge is welcome. I'm always eager to learn more!

Yes you can go and buy glitter from anywhere pretty much as long as it's cosmetic grade.
So you don't need to go and buy NSI powders just to do your glitter tip clients.

NSI and CND work very differently. NSI does use a different mix ratio and the powders are formulated to perform very differently.

Also I was taught to mix 1 part glitter to 2 parts powder to make the perfect glitter mix ratio. Use pure pink powder for all color glitters except green and white glitter, you would use clear for thiese. Hth:biggrin:

Also I was taught to mix 1 part glitter to 2 parts powder to make the perfect glitter mix ratio. Use pure pink powder for all color glitters except green and white glitter, you would use clear for thiese. Hth:biggrin:

Really? Ok!

When I asked, my teacher told me to use clear with any glitter... I'll have to try for myself and see what works.

I have always just used clear powder when making glitter mixes.

Really? Ok!

When I asked, my teacher told me to use clear with any glitter... I'll have to try for myself and see what works.

The best part of being a nail tech is EXPERIMENTING!!! With some glitters the colours run but you won't know till you try. People stick allsorts into acrylic & gel. Half the fun is trying things out - nothing is taboo!!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back