Sculpting with gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickle

Reaction score
How many of you sculpt with gel and do you think it is as strong as an L&P sculpt?

gel can be as strong as l&p if 2 coats are applied. But it may be that i just apply to thin:green: I like thin.
Gel sculpting is just the same, only more difficult to do as the product does not stay and it is very possible you will have to cure underneath as well

The thing is, I never sculpt as I am crap at it but when I go back to work (on maternity leave) I really want to sculpt but I found that when I did sculpting with gel it wasn't very strong.

It is hard to get a nice thickness when sculpting gel. Perhaps you sculpt first, set then do another layer again to make it thicker and stronger.
I rarely sculpt with gel. if a client wants sculpts i would give them l&p scupts with a clear gel over lay.

It is hard to get a nice thickness when sculpting gel. Perhaps you sculpt first, set then do another layer again to make it thicker and stronger.
I rarely sculpt with gel. if a client wants sculpts i would give them l&p scupts with a clear gel over lay.

Thanks, I think I need to practice my sculpting before I start work again.

I do a lot of sculpting gel (as do the other techs where I work) and we have no problems with them being thick enough. It just takes practice.

How many of you sculpt with gel and do you think it is as strong as an L&P sculpt?
I sculpt with Brisa gel and yes it is strong :D

Gel sculpting is just the same, only more difficult to do as the product does not stay and it is very possible you will have to cure underneath as well
If you use clear forms you don't have the problem of the gel not curing underneath, the UV light is reflected inside the lamp and gives you a full cure without having to faff about doing a double cure.

I aften sculpt with gel and i use the EZ Flow Gel It!. It's great to use and is very strong as long as applied correctly. At the end of the day anything which is completely product, rather than product applied onto a tip, is much stronger.

My clients love the fact i can sculpt on them if they break any, (which isn't often.) instead of tipping.

Are you still using Bio, Jules? I sculpt with Bio and I love it. They now run a half-day 'sculpting' workshop that teaches you 4 different ways of sculpting to suit the client (biters, long enhancements etc) and it was the best £50 I've ever spent.

If you look in my gallery there is a couple of pics of the 4 different ways....they last and last and they are so natural.

Hi,

Sculpted gels are strong enough when applied in more than one layer. You must get into the mindset of how different gel is and get out of the acrylic mindset. Acrylic is applied in sections while gel is applied in layers.

If the gel is extended onto the nail, then the form (whether clear, natural or white), you must cure and then build strength by applying another thinner layer of clear and cure. After the 2nd coat, I then check the thickness and wipe off the sticky (dispersion) layer and lightly shape and file free edges if needed. I then check the thickness and since gel is so much easier to file than acrylic, it turns out that I usually need another thin 3rd coat of gel. But this 3rd coat will go over already-shaped nails and then the nails look great!

So if you just remember that when doing gels you need about 3 thinner layers to create strong sculpts - and watch your filing when shaping because it's way too easy to file off too much gel if you're not paying attention! Check the nail CONSTANTLY and you'll get used to the gel routine and finally be able to create more beautiful nails with each sculpt!

If the gel is extended onto the nail, then the form (whether clear, natural or white), you must cure and then build strength by applying another thinner layer of clear and cure. After the 2nd coat, I then check the thickness and wipe off the sticky (dispersion) layer and lightly shape and file free edges if needed. I then check the thickness and since gel is so much easier to file than acrylic, it turns out that I usually need another thin 3rd coat of gel. But this 3rd coat will go over already-shaped nails and then the nails look great!
The sculpting gel I use doesn't need to be applied in layers, it's applied the same way whether sculpting or tipping the nails.
Different gels require different application methods, some are one phase, others are three phase, we can't apply the same methods to all of them.

i love sculpt i think it looks more natural then tips. although i find l+p stronger for sculpting.
xx

The sculpting gel I use doesn't need to be applied in layers, it's applied the same way whether sculpting or tipping the nails.
Different gels require different application methods, some are one phase, others are three phase, we can't apply the same methods to all of them.

I agree.. the gel I use doesn't get appllied in layers either. I also never have a problem with the gel curing when using regular forms (instead of clear ones).

Also, there are builder gels, some thicker than others.
Semi-self-levelling gels.
Full self-levelling gels
And some are soooooo runny, they are almost a gloss.

The number of 'layers' depends on the type of gel you are using.
You can't really say 'layers'
It's more about the total thickness of product on the nail, if it's the right thickness at the right place.... etc.

Hope that made sense.

I sculpt with gels. I've only started learning sculpting. I've had clients tell me they're stronger than L&P. I doubt they are, I think it's more of a flexibility thing if you ask me.

just my 2 cents:wink2:

I always sculpt with gel!! I love sculpts!! They look so nice and natural and there so much less faffing about than doing tip and overlay.

They are strong and nice and flexible too. It just takes practice to make sure your product placement is spot on!!

HTH

Are you still using Bio, Jules? I sculpt with Bio and I love it. They now run a half-day 'sculpting' workshop that teaches you 4 different ways of sculpting to suit the client (biters, long enhancements etc) and it was the best £50 I've ever spent.

If you look in my gallery there is a couple of pics of the 4 different ways....they last and last and they are so natural.

Hi hun, yes I am still using bio but I just hated the sculpting (I hate anything I am not good at!) So I would mainly do nno or tip. You know what, I think I will contact Punam and ask her about the workshop.
Thanks lynds, will take a peek at your pics now..........keep those feet up! :hug:

Latest posts

Back