sea monkeys

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elfprincessem

Reaction score
Hi has anyone ever kept any of these in the past? I am thinking about getting a kit as they look so fascinating, i still dont know much about them so i would like you opinions please, if you dont know what they are here is a link:

http://www.sea-monkeys.com/

My eldest son had a kit of these bought at chrimbo, they are really wierd looking things, but quite amazing. Tnhey need to be kept warm for the first few weeks, and if your lucky you can get them to lay eggs too, and hatch out a new generation!:green:

did he have to do much with them, ie cleaning them out, feeding them etc as the webpage isnt all that clear about this, its just says its all in the instructions.

As far as I remember you have to pre wash all the pebbles/sand etc before hand, then you fill with water, and leave it for a day, it has to be 18oc minimum or they dont hatch, then you add the eggs, when they hatch you start to feed them on the food that comes in the kit. He didnt clean them out, Im not sure if you are supposed to.They lived for about 7 weeks I think, then he got bored with them!:green:

Sea Monkeys are a kind of brine shrimp. I keep Cherry shrimp which are fresh water but have always wondered about these kits! I found this site

http://www.netfysh.com/seamonkeys/translations/index.html

for care instructions but your kit might vary, just thought it would give some idea. According to the link you posted though the tank should be good for 2 years worth of Sea Monkeys if you keep the conditions good as they will reproduce. You'll have to post pics, a google picture search shows them to be really interesting looking things! :)

My kids had these a few years ago. They lived for ages. Quite fascinating really. x

my boys have had these, strange looking things they are, they lived for quite a while i think you can get the whole kit for about £5 from woolies

my hubby got some for xmas one year but they didnt last long xxx

I have kept them before! They are funny little things! One of mine grew to 2cms long! you could see his little eyes and everything!!!

They are so teeny weeny to start with, but they soon grow! Great if you dont like doing alot for a pet! xxx

A lot of fishkeepers breed brine shrimp to feed baby fish with, I need to look into trying that myself. I know in my local fish shop you can buy glass test tubes that appear to be full of tiny tiny seeds that are actually shrimp eggs.

I had those when I was a kid.....killed them off in no time ! :)

Helbel030 said:
I had some of these and they were good but Triops are better. They grow to around an inch long and they are great.

http://mytriops.com/articles/triops_appeal.stm

Ours was called Hannibal cos he ate all his friends!

i agree, triops are better. my little girl loved them. told everybody she had a tank full of 'scorpiums' [her spelling, not mine] :lol: she insisted all my clients take a look at them.

Ar wow, I want to get some of these little things, they sound great!!! lol!!

xxxxxxxx

My friend had some of these & they are quite big now think they are about 6 months old.
They give me the creeps i think they look hideous now they've grown, but i do hate all types of insects & slimy things !

I want a triops!!!! They look v V cool! I would be afraid that it would get out though!!!!!! lol!

Bigger than sea monkeys!!!!

fificharlie said:
I want a triops!!!! They look v V cool! I would be afraid that it would get out though!!!!!! lol!

Bigger than sea monkeys!!!!

They are good but you need to keep them at just the right temp for them to hatch. They shed their skin as they get bigger and it's really gruesome! :lol:

Helbel030 said:
They are good but you need to keep them at just the right temp for them to hatch. They shed their skin as they get bigger and it's really gruesome! :lol:

I kept 'blue lobsters' for a while (not propper lobsters but crayfish) and now cherry shrimp and they shed their 'skins' too, I think its fascinating. I kept thinking the crafish were dead but it was just the exoskeletons (sp?).

This forum is going to cost me a fortune, if I'm not bookmarking nail art sites I'm planning a batch of betta tanks for a display and now I want triops and sea monkeys. Not sure I can afford to keep logging in :lol:

min11 said:
I kept 'blue lobsters' for a while (not propper lobsters but crayfish) and now cherry shrimp and they shed their 'skins' too, I think its fascinating. I kept thinking the crafish were dead but it was just the exoskeletons (sp?).

This forum is going to cost me a fortune, if I'm not bookmarking nail art sites I'm planning a batch of betta tanks for a display and now I want triops and sea monkeys. Not sure I can afford to keep logging in :lol:

I had a mad panic when mine started to shed his skin and it was all white - I thought he was dying. So relieved to see that he was just growing up! He died the day after boxing day though, I was gutted. Was going to hatch more but my daft cats knocked the all the food all over my carpet so that was the end of that.

Helbel030 said:
I had a mad panic when mine started to shed his skin and it was all white - I thought he was dying. So relieved to see that he was just growing up!

:lol: I can totally identify. My Cherry shrimp are big enough now and red, you can tell its just their old skin on the bottom of the tank but when I first got them they were only a little over 1cm long and translucent so a skin looked like a shrimp. I had many a panic. The 'lobsters' were even worse as they are blue and so obviously, is the shedded exo complete with pincers. The very first time one did it I fished it out with a net distraught, disposed of it and broke the news to the kids only to spot both of them charging around the tank later that night. Of course they hide to start with while they harden up hence why I couldn't find it!! I killed them in the end treating a proplem in the tank, the medication had copper in it and mostare lethan to invertibrates. So, if anyone keeps their inverts with little fish, becareful what you treat any disease with, make sure its inverts friendly and even then proceed with caution :)

Latest posts

Back