Second hand Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curly girl

Reaction score
Hi, a friend of a friend has closed a salon in my area recently and is selling off her cnd lamp and shellac products. I am tempted to buy the kit as it will be at least six months until i can afford to buy a kit at full price. If i buy this kit i can shellac this summer and use the profit to expand my business. im not the type to buy everything second hand and try and get everything cheap but i can see that this would help me out at this time. would it be advisable to buy second hand shellac and equipment? I will check the time left on the bulbs, the salon has only been open six months so the lamp and product should be in good condition although im a bit worried as to where the shellac has been stored. Any tips or advice on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated :Grope:

Hi, a friend of a friend has closed a salon in my area recently and is selling off her cnd lamp and shellac products. I am tempted to buy the kit as it will be at least six months until i can afford to buy a kit at full price. If i buy this kit i can shellac this summer and use the profit to expand my business. im not the type to buy everything second hand and try and get everything cheap but i can see that this would help me out at this time. would it be advisable to buy second hand shellac and equipment? I will check the time left on the bulbs, the salon has only been open six months so the lamp and product should be in good condition although im a bit worried as to where the shellac has been stored. Any tips or advice on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated :Grope:

I would make an offer for the lamp and tell her to throw in the Shellac for nothing. I would never buy second hand products .. You have no idea how they have been treated, stored or used. No no! Very risky indeed for your clients and your business.

She didn't give it much of a go (6 months) did she?? :eek:

Thanks Geeg, that is what I was thinking, besides if I had any teething problems I wouldn't know if it was me or the product. The salon was offering £2 brow waxes and £2.50 lash tints. I'm sure she wasnt even covering her rent plus she was only qualified 3 months before opening. Just goes to show experience counts for a lot and clients don't necessarily go for the cheapest price :)x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Its a tough call. You will never know for sure where those bottles have been.

On the other hand she could have looked after them perfectly and be completely honest.

I sold all my shellac things and they were as good as new and a complete bargain for the new owner.

It is a gamble, ill have to go take a look and make my judgement from there i think. thanks for the reply :hug:

I think it is an easy call! Because the only things that you know are perfect are the things you look after yourself! I wouldn't take anyone else's word for it, but then I would never ever dream of selling my Shellac stash of colours!:green:

You really can't tell anything by looking with your eyes ... Only by using and feeling and seeing the results ... Too late when you spend your money only to find that something has been compromised! :cry:

My gut instinct tells me just to go for the lamp. At least then i will have my starting point for building this great new service into my business, can't wait to get started!:green:

I totally agree with Gigi, grab the lamp if it's a reasonable 2nd hand price and in good condition but make sure you account into the price that if the light is 6 months old already, I'm pretty sure CND advise to replace bulbs after 6 months or 100 hrs, so you would be a lot safer to replace them and know you are starting with new bulbs and this will reduce the risk greatly of any problems.

I would not buy anybody's 2nd hand Shellac etc either, you just don't know where it's been and what it's been through and it could be contaminated in some small way but you can't see it....I really don't think it's worth the risk.

Unless you know this lady personally and know her history, I would also double check where she bought her light from, just to make sure she has a legit CND lamp not some counterfeit from fleabay.
If she did her training through CND etc, then great but if not, then Mmmmmmmmm.

Your choice though at the end of the day as to what you buy or don't buy but I see no problems in buying just the lamp providing you can check where it came from (ask for a purchase receipt).

Good luck:)

Latest posts

Back