Self employed beautician or sunbed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iconic

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

So my self employed beautician has just handed me her notice.. I knew it was coming - I could tell her heart wasn't in the beauty trade anymore.
However - having her give me notice has made me re think things .. I'm giving the salon a revamp! (Only been open 3 years, but going to give it a fresh lick of paint!) .. And then it got me thinking .. I'd quite like to convert the room she has been renting in to a sunbed room? .. What are people's thoughts?
She currently pays me £300 per month to rent the room, I'm wondering if I could earn the same kind of money, (potentially more) by installing a sunbed instead of replacing her with a new beautician?

Has anyone done this?
What are everyone's thoughts?

I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance!

It really depends on your location and type of clientele :)

Do you have any sun bed shops open near you, loyal sun bed users will look for top of the range beds with quick and easy walk in appointments. Can you compete with that?

That is something only your financial analysis can show you. Weigh up the income you need to generate against your expenditure. A sunbed cannot generate anywhere near enough income to justify me loosing a room where I'm situated no one uses them. Calculate the profit on your room for both decisions , doing the maths will always give you the best answer.

Personally I would go for a self employed beautician again-you are guaranteed an income from them and they will potentially bring new clients go you as well. Sunbeds are very expensive to run and I know in our area they are hardly used at all anymore. But do the maths and see how u feel x

Thank you all for your input..
I have calculated that the sunbed would need to be used for an hour a day in order for me to get the same income as I have been getting from my beautician..
That doesn't sound a lot but when I say it in terms of that hour will need to be made up of approx 7 clients..that sounds like a lot?
Hmmm im in 2 minds.. I've advertised my room for a SE beautician, but as of yet, I've not had any interest and that's the reason I thought about the sunbed..
I thought that the running costs would be a lot, but having researched them a little, they don't appear to be very expensive to run at all?
There is a sunbed shop at the other end of the road I'm on and there always seems to be people in there - and in the summer it's heaving! I've sat and waited for approx 45 mins each time in the summer months before getting a bed? .. I know it's obviously going to be more of a seasonal thing but the summer months should weigh out the quieter winter months?
Hmmm in so unsure?

Somebody called the salon about the room today so she is coming to view it at 7pm! Eek - fingers crossed all goes well!

Hi. I have three sunbeds. First off you need 3 phase power to run them. You need to change tubes regularly at around £700 a bed. My elec bill is about £400 PCM Obv mostly used by beds. You need to supply wipes, goggles and proper sanitizer which all costs extra then there is the servicing costs and installation at the beginning. A good bed also costs ££££ that's just the basic costs, running Sunbeds is not cheap.

Latest posts

Back