Self-Employed - Jury Service

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathie!

Reaction score
Have any self-employed Geeks done Jury Service?

How did you deal with the loss of earnings claim? Is it based on turnover?

Was a copy of your last tax return sufficient evidence for the claim?

I begged to be excused and wasn't picked but it was really stressful. I think they give you a daily allowance but if the trial goes on for weeks then what happens to your clients?

There are a certain amount of excusals allowed but if they are all utilised then you need to appear.

A mixture of my panicked face at the trial and recognising the defence lawyer got me off I think :)

I've tried to be excused and only managed a deferral and now I have to do it.

There is a daily amount £60odd per day for the first 2 weeks.

Was wondering how self-employed people got on with claiming back loss of earnings..

How did you get on, even though you never did a case, with claiming your loss of earnings?

I have had to re-jig my diary to keep the 2 weeks clear.

It started on a Monday so no loss of earnings and to be honest I was so relieved I didn't even go down the expenses route.

I just shook my head at the immense waste of taxpayers money.

Ask for an excusal at court as the clerk of court asks for anyone wishing to speak to them and they take requests at that time too xxxxx

I don't think you can do that....and even if I did, I've still cancelled all my clients lol!

Oh well, wait and see what happens I guess.

Thanks x

my pleasure hope it isn't too traumatic xxxxx

If you can show that your business (registered) would suffer without you they let you off. I got called about 3 times in the last ten years and pleaded hardship if I was away from my company. (think it swung it when the court chap told me compensation was £58 and I asked him if that was per hour!!!)

My friend was called for jury service and is also self employed.. she wrote a letter and explained that she would have to shut her boutique etc, so they let her off...

Thanks, it's a bit late to be excused now and really, I don't mind doing it. I'm sure I'll get the payment, was wondering what others had done. xx

Just to let you know that you can claim if you are not needed but are unable to return to work for either full days or half days.

A letter from your accountant or previous tax return will confirm your gross income.

Loss of earnings payments are subject to tax and NI.

It was a very boring 2 weeks, didn't get a single case and thankfully missed an 8 weeker by the skin of my teeth!

glad it all worked out xxxx

Latest posts

Back