Self employment query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VickiesBB

Reaction score
I have just started working in a salon 'self employed' can I be dictated to what hours I work??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I wouldn't say dictated to. Have you both agreed to hours, days etc in the form of a contract?

So much would depend on this on plus a few other things.

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Hi
Not really but it depends what the reason is for the managers request. What is she asking? Is it because your not a key holder or is she asking you to work the same as other staff? Do some days/hours need cover?
Ask yourself if it's resonable? If not then sit down and talk her and explain your concern. You may be self employed but you need to work as a salon.
Josie x

The salon is open all day 6 days a week. No actual hours have been discussed just my day off which is fine. We don't have contracts.

I haven't got the ump about it, I was just wondering in general. For example, tomorrow I have an appointment in there at 12 then nothing again until 6, do I have to hang around all day waiting for that appointment?

I'm new to self employment and still trying to get my head round it.

Hi Vicki
Try not to see it as hanging around. You can get to know the salon and other clients. Also I get alot of people walking in wanting appointments and last minute phone calls too. So you may get some more business. When I first started I set myself hours and went in regardless of what I had in (with the odd exception!) but it worked I am busy now and glad I put the hours in early.
Josie x

Although it could be constructive to stay in the salon in order to attract passing trade, my understanding of self employed is that (within reason) you can come and go as you please as long as you are paying your rent or the salon owner is happy with their percent of your takings.

Ok, thanks everyone :) x

I would speak to the salon owner everyone will be different you are your own boss so in theory you do as you please, however it is there salon and they might want somebody there all day instead of maybe turning people away (walk ins etc).

I have a hairdresser who is self employed if she has gaps she remains in salon (her choice) but actually I think it's right how you going to build up cliental if your not there? Just a thought xx

No reason for u to hang about hun, its just a pain being so long between appts, when uve been there a while u may get some "walk ins" or as said above u could stay a little while and introduce urself to clients or use theat time to post leaflets locally, or ask some shops if they would take some leaflets...

Do the salon take ur appts? You could ask them to offer appts closer to the appts already taken... If ur 1st appt was at 6 offer the next person that calls 4.30 etc.

Personally if I had that bit of spare time I'd stay an hour and introduce urself to customers and then do the leaflets... And get back an hour before ur appt and again introduce urself (if that is possible of course) xx

I'm going to say that whilst a fully self employed therapist can indeed do whatever hours she pleases, I would totally recommend staying in the salon. I started off renting a room & I set my salon hours (pretty much in accordance with hairdresser hours) and stuck with them regardless of whether I had clients or not.
As others have said on here, minus the odd exception, you should use the time to learn, be involved, promote, etc etc. And absolutely watch for walk ins. I believe dedication & attitude is of the utmost importance. If a therapist can't stick around for the tougher times then may not be deserving of the busier times.
How would you feel if the salon told you a client you'd already treated before popped in for a treatment on the off chance & found you gone even though salon was open & you were assumed to be there? Would be a shame wouldn't it.
Hang in there, show willing & you will deserve success.

Ok so end of the week, I got my pay packet and I am nota happy bunny!

I have been working my backside off, not eating and drinking all day to get through the clients I had booked in, now I don't mind doing it........if I'm getting paid for it but turns out I'm not!!

The owners put us on groupon without my consent and basically i've done a majority of treatments this week for nothing. I have to also use my own. Products. I worked 9 solid hours Friday and you want to know what I got paid, £9!! I worked 44 solid hours this week for £98.

On top if that I am expected to pay for the stock that is,being used which I haven't got the money to do AND also turns out there is another beautician there who can use my stuff so I'm getting through stuff in double the time and not getting the pay.

I think the icing on the cold was when I was doing my list of stock to get and we need OPI base coat I was,informed the owner didn't want to pay out for it and just pours a cheap version into an OPI bottle!!

Am I in the wrong for now being annoyed??

I've technically earned £35 this week taking petrol and car parks into account.

Plus they have also made,the prices up and not taken into account what it cost me to actually buy the products in and again not consulted me on the prices.

That is not good.
The salon owner should not be doing groupons if she has self employed people.

You cannot work flat out for less than a hundred quid, it's pointless.
I would refuse to do her groupons for her. You are self employed so you can.
If you are NOT self employed and she is just saying you are to scam the employment taxes and rules, then you need to get out of there.
Check out www.hmrc.gov

We are all self employed, it's weird. the hairdressers are split 60/40 in the owners favour. The deal I was offered was either 50/50 and they buy my stuff or 60/40 in my favour if I buy it. Apparently the owners aren't very reliable for getting things in and I don't want to end up looking an idiot in front clients.

To start you are self employed you cannot be told what hours you are doing, if this happens the it crosses the line of employment you can find out more info on the hmrc website.

Secondly you have agreed a 60/40 split on the prices the salon charge not Groupon prices. You need to take the owners to one side and express ur feelings.
You said on the Friday that u worked 9 hours with no breaks for £9 even on groupons theres still some thing wrong with this I have done Groupon in my salon to help build the clientele for my stylists and to be flat out on a 60/40 split you would certainly see more than £9.
I would ask them for their calculations of how they have come up to this amount?
Could you not offer to pay a rent and take ur own money etc

Basically if I do a standard mani and pedi I get nothing for it, if the client upgrades to a luxury mani pedi the £8 difference gets split 60/40. The same as if they choose to upgrade to a gellux mani pedi, the extra £15 gets split. the £9 was from 4 brow waxes I done.

I earned nothing for the 4 mani pedis I done as the clients didn't upgrade.

This isn't good at all get out of there as soon as.

The owners are never there to.actually talk to. The wife is a stay at home mum and the husband is a sales manager for a.car dealership so they don't even know the salon business.

I have today emailed the owners with my concerns and they have basically said they will cancel the groupon but it will.basically be my fault if no customers turn up.

They have also.said they want someone who pretty much isn't going to kick up of much as a fuss I am and who will just get on with it.

I have today emailed the owners with my concerns and they have basically said they will cancel the groupon but it will.basically be my fault if no customers turn up.

They have also.said they want someone who pretty much isn't going to kick up of much as a fuss I am and who will just get on with it.

I bet they do!
Saying someone is self employed so that they dont have to pay employers ni or deal with your rights is no excuse to treat people as slaves.

This kind of behaviour gives salon owners a bad name.

Make people work like dogs, deny them their rights, and pay them slumdog money? These people need reporting to HMRC, they are flouting all the rules.

Latest posts

Back