Selling Unwanted Domain URL?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack1102

Reaction score
Hi

Mainy for Ruth or Carl this one I think, but please feel free to chip in anyone that can help!

I recently agreed to design a website for somone who shall remain nameless for now. We agreed on a URL, and I had most of the site completed from information she emailed over including the purchase of the URL?

Since then, she has said she no longer wants website (no reason given apart from not being able to afford it!)

She has not paid for the URL, despite being asked to a couple of times (it was costing £7 for 2 years which is the minimum I could purchase the .co.uk for)

Now, I'm £7 out of pocket, with a domain I will never use? How do I go about selling this on?

Last edited:
Sorry to jump in on this, but do you do web design as i am wanting something designing.

i have my url/domain name etc but haven't got the software to do it - failing that would you be kind enough to may be advise me on a good package to use - i have done a seperate thread for this (best software to build my own website) if you would prefer to answer on this...

anyone else ?

I'd just let it go to be honest.

Last edited:
Unless its a mind-blowingly good domain name- which no-one in the previous 20 years of doman naming has thought of- you're unlikely to be able to sell it on.

Just put it down to experience. It's not a lot of money really is it? Just make sure you set it to expire- because they renew automatically.

And welcome to doing business online- I'm usually a few hundred pounds a year "down", because some people have a tendency to disappear (I hasten to add the vast majority of people are honest). Its just the perils of doing business on the web.

Suppose it depends on the website name really as to whether you could pass it on or suck it up hun. If it is a very personally named business then perhaps suck it up?

Ooops i had this open an hour before i replied!

For the sake of £7 I'd swallow it and move on to the next person who does pay you!

Perhaps you could learn from this and ask for at least half of the money up front next time :wink2:

Jack, welcome to the world of running a business! I'm currently chasing quite a few people for money they owe me; in particular one woman I did a site for back in July still owes me 300 quid, and reckons that she's already paid it, although it's not been received at my company bank account despite quite a few emails chasing her up and a letter threatening court action!

As for the unwanted domain, the *best* thing I could suggest would be to point it at Google AdSense or some other domain parking company, as then at least you might be lucky to get a few pennies back if someone finds the domain and clicks on an advert on there. And make sure the domain is not set to auto-renew too - you don't want to be billed for another 7 quid a couple of years down the line!

thanks chaps. will cut my loses an run! ..... stage exit right >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

out of interest, the URL is: sparklehairandbeauty.co.uk - just this minute clicked to OH website (although she dont do hair!) ... might as well make sure of it somehow I guess?!

thanks chaps. will cut my loses an run! ..... stage exit right >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

out of interest, the URL is: sparklehairandbeauty.co.uk

Maybe next time you could get the client to register the domain name themselves and then transfer it to you - at least then you are not out of pocket.

Also probably a good idea to take a deposit before starting any work too. No point in wasting your time doing work for someone only for them to say they can't afford it or not pay up.

Latest posts

Back