Senior student in need of reassurance from experienced stylists!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashley02

Reaction score
Hi all, thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I am a brand new senior student. I have 350 hours under my belt, and according to my school, I'm ready to take on clients. But, I am nervous as ever. I am terrified, and I really don't feel ready. I'm fine with doing color, but cutting is my weakest point. My teachers all say my cuts are great, but I'm personally not comfortable with it yet. I'm not really comfortable with anything yet. How do I get over this? I'm so scared of working on actual people that I want to call in sick tomorrow! Please help, I don't know what to do to make myself feel better. :(

Totally agree with Persianista. If you felt totally confident and comfortable now it would be more of a worry. You are much more likely to spend the time ensuring that is is all even etc... We have all been there. I can remember when i first qualified going and asking the more experienced stylists how to do the cut that the client wants. One day it will be you that people ask! good luck

I was just like you when i started in the barber shop where i work i was terrified and use to go home and cry my heart out ;-( saying im never going to be able to do it ,, i would shake from head to toe on every client ,, but now i love it . I think once you have mastered it you will be just fine xxxx now i have got to go though it all again when i finish my nvq in ladies in june lol oh well practice practice practice xxxx

I was just like you too I didn't feel confident and was even quite shy I got to the point when i was a junior that I was going home crying every night and to be honest I hated it I had a stylist which was an older man tell me I would never make a hairdresser and look at me now I've got my own salon and I love hairdressing, Practice makes perfect you can do anything when you put your mind to it. Xxx

Ah you poor thing! keep calm, take your time and just do your absolute best. Even after 20 years it's something any good hairdresser should always do. It is nerve wracking of course but the more you do the better you'll get. The best advice someone gave me all those years ago is really really LISTEN to what your client is asking for. Good luck and most of all enjoy!! xx

Keep calm do you best, I was pushed onto the salon floor before I was even qualified and I was really really nervous, but had I not have pushed myself I wouldnt be as confident doing hair now! I always think as long as you look calm on the outside and dont let your clients see your nervous you'll be fine. As long as your absolutely sure what your client wants and have discussed it properly, then you will be fine!!! Dont worry, be calm and let it come to you x

I feel the same, we are just getting clients in salon now and I am terrified about it. I am older and think low confidence comes with age but sometimes I think it is better if your thrown in the deep end. Good luck but think what were feeling is completly normal.

Latest posts

Back