Seriously contemplating going mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicola0201

Reaction score
what's everyone's thoughts on mobile beauty? seriously thinking about it and just wanted to know anyone else's experiences

what's everyone's thoughts on mobile beauty? seriously thinking about it and just wanted to know anyone else's experiences

I'd love to hear about this too cause rent is kicking my ass at the minute!

I think you would need to work out your costs.
Car maintenance, Road Tax etc, petrol, travelling time all add up, not to mention lugging all your gear in and out of houses.
Then compare that to what you might pay in rent in a salon or other premises where the clients could come to you, no TV's blaring, kids running about, and you would be able to advertise in a window or wall within.

With all that to think about, I never did go mobile but stuck to premises, but it will be interesting to see how others answer.

Im doing it right now!!!!!!! Cant work for anyone anymore so bitinn the bullet and away to purchase my stuff with last wage and go for it!!! its scarey but its time. Looking forward to just working round my things-within reason..

Be good to hear others comments etc:)

xxx:lol:

The only thing is I would be nervous going into strangers houses. And how do therapists melt their wax so it's ready when they get to the house? And what about facials, would you have to bring all products with you? Hmm, sounds like there are a lot of obsticals. I'd like to hear how others get on with it x

kjoh- i'm a bit like you, can't work for anyone anymore! sick of being messed around with wages, holidays, general bitchyness etc so i keep thinking just do it, go mobile.
suzanne- wax would have to be melted at home before you set off and then re melted when you get to the clients house
i think i'm going to go for it, but you know when your wanting everyone to say yes do it you will make a million pounds and love every minute of it! i already have most equipment, would need to invest in gelish and a uv/led lamp but thats it, got spray tan equipment, waxing stuff, bed etc. have a very small car-big enough to fit my things in obviously! but cheap on petrol, very cheap in fact so that doesnt worry me, its just getting the clients in the first place thats a concern, a pretty big concern really as no clients means no cash

Im sticking to spray tanning, shellac and Lycon waxing. My hubby has made me a unit for back of car to carry waxpot in and i will heat it B4 i arrive and stick on as soon as im in house setting up.
I know what you mean about peoples houses but i will take a little 'pepper' spray and tell someone my itenerary etc..
Never know whos coming into your salon either? Ita always a chance i suppose.

Im sticking to spray tanning, shellac and Lycon waxing. My hubby has made me a unit for back of car to carry waxpot in and i will heat it B4 i arrive and stick on as soon as im in house setting up.
I know what you mean about peoples houses but i will take a little 'pepper' spray and tell someone my itenerary etc..
Never know whos coming into your salon either? Ita always a chance i suppose.

That's very true and I have had a few odd people come into the salon that I had to ask to leave!

Another question I have is how do u work out your time? Ok we all know how long it will take us to do certain treatments but finding new houses and traffic? How do you predict that?

i was going to use google maps to get exactly where the address was and then leave a bit of extra time just incase

Im kinda going to do the same. Ask add and postcode, satnav and confirm by txt then tell someone my diary for evening..
As for clients- Im going to add a FB page onto mine, contact local dance schools, bridal shops, leaflet drop and contact large office blocks and offer chep bulk apps... If you want them you will need to go find them now as this is prime revenue time with party centrel coming up!!
Im freaking out to but its now or never!!! I cant work under peeps anymore and cant deal with being paid 50p more than a 17yo college leaver after 10yrs experience!!? Im OUTTA there...lol
:wink2:

Hi there,

I was mobile but have just finished and returned to employment. I would say biggest advantages are being your own boss, freedom to fit in appointments around your life, you get to go all over the place and meet so many different interesting people and no two days are ever the same! When you have a busy day the satisfaction you get is fantastic!

Disadvantages are that your appointments can be very sporadic eg one in morning then nothing til the evening and I struggled to stay motivated at times with so much time at home. Also I am a strong girl used to lifting but it started to take it's toll on me constantly straining my back and banging my shins with my various boxes and tables. It is also slow building up a base - I couldn't support myself financially anymore so had to move away from it but if you have a client base/money to keep you going that helps lots.

Good luck with whatever you decide! I think things are always worth a go, we don't know unless we try!!!

Exactly L85!! My hubby works offshore and our daughter 12 so i want to still be independant but want to be around more for her and when my hubbys EVER home..
I also have my best chum who has a really scsfl hair salon so she is going to link me to her website and send a txt to them all these little things help I imagine.
Im also not doing to much as I believe people only really want essentials done at home, such as tanning waxing and nails. If I wanted a facial or massage I would want the whole experiece due to the price etc..

If I dont do it now I never will.. fingers crossed very tight!!x
:Scared:

I take my hat off to all mobile therapists! I have a room in a hair salon and on the few occasions when I'm asked to go mobile I hate it. All the faffing about packing stuff up and worrying I've forgotten something vital when I arrive. It's not an easy job at all.

Pros of mobile - regular change of scenary, no room costs, flexability.

Cons - rising cost of petrol, lugging blooming kit around, unknown level of cleanliness at home, may have kids running round, clients expect treatments to be much less expensive (I have found people assume your not as professional if mobile - noty opinion, what I got from market research). Houses that people smoke in (yak)

Things you need to do before going mobile:

1) Buy a car. :lol: No sorry, seriously, buy a sat nav, a good one. Get as many details of the client's location as possible, i.e next to shops, or on second floor etc.

2) Blue tack all item you wish to remain upright, like bottles etc. into your trolley

3) Leave details of your appointment with a loved one, for safety.

4) Some people are just messy and dirty. Tell the client you need an area to work in, as they normally wait until you arrive before they bother to tidy their rubbish tip of a house. Ask in advance if they have an area for you to set up AWAY FROM CHILDREN AND ANIMALS. If Tiddles, Rover or Junior takes a swig of sanitiser or some such undrinkable liquid IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT. The client might be fine about it at the time, but when their other half gets home and they tell them, it’ll be another story. Then the next thing you know you’ve got a claim against you. It hasn’t happened to me, but I’ve read on here about therapists being harangued for damages caused by the client’s negligence.
5) So on that note, get some good mobile therapist insurance.
6) Make sure the client knows how you want to be paid. If in cash, they need the money there to give to you after the treatment. I have been asked before to drive a client to a cash machine and drop her back home, because she had no money at home.

Hope that helps

Im not in beauty but I am mobile and I love it. I like the fact that clients can feel at home and they can do their work if they wish or watch tv or just relax. They dont need to get babysitters or anything either and I can work around their job. Yeah kids running around can take extra time and be annoying at times but I like kids and I like to get to know everything about my clients so its fun meeting their kids. Ive even babysat for one of them once, hehe.

I do sometmes feel scared going for the first time to peoples houses but I give someone the adress and numbers and I stay protected and tell them when I am going and make sure to call back and say I am okey.

I also love it because I can work around other things in my life and set appointments when convenient for both me and them. It also allows me to work as much or little as I want. If I need a bit of a breather I dont take on as many clients and if I want to be busy I work more. Also as I am my own boss, the more effort I put in the more I get back.

If I do need to go to a wedding, or take a holiday I can but I am also the one not getting paid during that time so it is a choice. But no one is forcing me to work around the clock, I do it anyway, but the fact that it is my choice makes it so much more enjoyable. I love being mobile and think you have made the right choice.

Things you need to do before going mobile:

1) Buy a car. :lol: No sorry, seriously, buy a sat nav, a good one. Get as many details of the client's location as possible, i.e next to shops, or on second floor etc.

2) Blue tack all item you wish to remain upright, like bottles etc. into your trolley

3) Leave details of your appointment with a loved one, for safety.

4) Some people are just messy and dirty. Tell the client you need an area to work in, as they normally wait until you arrive before they bother to tidy their rubbish tip of a house. Ask in advance if they have an area for you to set up AWAY FROM CHILDREN AND ANIMALS. If Tiddles, Rover or Junior takes a swig of sanitiser or some such undrinkable liquid IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT. The client might be fine about it at the time, but when their other half gets home and they tell them, it’ll be another story. Then the next thing you know you’ve got a claim against you. It hasn’t happened to me, but I’ve read on here about therapists being harangued for damages caused by the client’s negligence.
5) So on that note, get some good mobile therapist insurance.
6) Make sure the client knows how you want to be paid. If in cash, they need the money there to give to you after the treatment. I have been asked before to drive a client to a cash machine and drop her back home, because she had no money at home.

Hope that helps

One of my pet hates now im mobile, is doing a nail repair! What would take 10 mins max in a shop will take me 30 mins or more as have to allow travelling time from current clients to next then back to another gggrrr! and all for 3 quid lol!

Hello!

I became mobile in July. So far it has been going really well. Good weeks and bad weeks, but overall I'm really chuffed. It can be a bit scary at times when it is quiet, especially as you are working alone.

I do also get nervous about going to someone new, but I think always speak to them directly on the phone before you go to them. Most importantly trust your instincts.

I think it is definitely worth taking the plunge and giving it your best shot!

Good luck!

One of my pet hates now im mobile, is doing a nail repair! What would take 10 mins max in a shop will take me 30 mins or more as have to allow travelling time from current clients to next then back to another gggrrr! and all for 3 quid lol!

I have a rule now because of this - im only mobile for £15+ and i only do 5mile radius any further is £1 per mile for first 5 and 50p thereafter to max of 15miles from me.....

If they need 1 nail fixed they have to come to me. I checked this out as then you need various things for home but was told by my local council that i did not need licence or any h&s inspections so long as it was less than 5per week. My home insurance did not need notified unless i exceeded 10 business visits in the home per week. So it was easy enough that way. Plus my spare room has a day bed, and desk with laptop on which i put laptop away & addcandles to, set up my nail bar etc as i do friends/family at home so its suitable for clients to get a nail repair every blue moon! I do about 1 repair every month-6wks, i find most people hold off a couple of days until their rebalance apt.......

I'm mobile and have been for about a year and a half now.
It has its ups and down and isnt particularly glamorous!

Often there are children around or animals. I prefer the animals t ochildren as they tend to cause less disruption.
If there are children they may cause your job to take longer.
Some houses are VERY untidy.

Appointments can take a little longer and you either have to take everything and be prepared for any service requested in addition to what your there for or take just what you need and risk not having what may be requested (I do the latter).
I always leave extra travelling time incase of traffic- I just dont do lateness.

I always add on 20 minutes to appointment timings for set up/pack away.

Do not even consider working without insurance- its a lifesaver if you spill acetone on someone's furniture (I KNOW that!), its not worth the risk of working without- ever.
I leave details of new clients for my other half, always phone immediately before and after a new appointment to let him know alls well.

Although I do work daytimes too most of my work is evening.

Your work is not done just because your home, you still have to keep accounts, clean and sanitise tools, advertise, emails, organise kit for following day.

I have a large cupboard dedicated to my work stuff- my things still manage to take over a large area of my lounge.

You can not see as many clients as you have to travel in between eg, If I see a client at 7pm, their appointment may be 1hr plus set up/pack away of 20 minutes takes me to 8.20pm.
Add travelling time to the next client, say 10 minutes and their appointment, 1hr + 20mins and you may not get in until 10pm.
I often only travel to one client a night out of preference, however if they have friends there too I'm happy to work late at a single address.

Sometimes I dont get dinner until late (9.30pm tonight).

Petrol costs are forever rising yet many potential clients think you should be cheap as your mobile.
Your car insurance needs to be changed to include business use too.
You have no passing trade so it can be slow to build a business.

After I am married and have put some money aside to see me through I plan to rent space in the future.

I hope this is helpful... just some things to consider about working mobile from my experience.

Latest posts

Back