Seriously getting agitated with Shellac topcoat!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden_beauty

Reaction score
Hi Guys

This is the second topcoat I have bought and the second time it has gone all gloopy and thick. I have used my wax heater to heat it before shellacking and yet it cannot be applied well and makes the nails lumpy. I'm sick of it now. The light has not got at it either as i keep them in a box in a cupboard so as to not by mistake cure it (as others have said this has happened)

I just don't know why this is happening?? I am not taking an age to apply it and to be honest I wouldnt accept that as a reason because that would mean all my other bottles should be also going like that as they are open for the same amount of time?? HELP has anyone else found this with the topcoat and if so what have you done?

Thanks
Lisa

The top coat is thicker than all the others. Are you making sure it's no where near the uv lamp when you are applying it? That can cure it. You also mention warming it up, you shouldn't need to do this and I seem to remember Geeg saying there's no need to warm it up and that warming it can make it thicker.

The top coat is always thicker than the colours. But I know what you mean by some seeming thicker than usual. I just try and wipe as much off my brush as possible before applying to the nail. My new top coat arrived a few days ago and the brush is massive! Surprised it fits through the bottle! Lol

Do you mean they've changed it?

Did you buy another before you needed to because yours was getting too think?? I am getting annoyed because i bought this one before the other was finished as it was too thick and now its happening again...to me its just wasting money? the product is in there but not useable i don't know how to make it less thick so that i'm not wasting money buying more and more products.

The top coat is always thicker than the colours. But I know what you mean by some seeming thicker than usual. I just try and wipe as much off my brush as possible before applying to the nail. My new top coat arrived a few days ago and the brush is massive! Surprised it fits through the bottle! Lol

Do you mean they've changed it?

Did you buy another before you needed to because yours was getting too think?? I am getting annoyed because i bought this one before the other was finished as it was too thick and now its happening again...to me its just wasting money? the product is in there but not useable i don't know how to make it less thick so that i'm not wasting money buying more and more products.

I noticed the same, I expect it to be thicker but not quite so thick as it is, also it wasnt that thick to begin with. Cant wipe too much off as then it doesnt apply to nail at all (just smears) but the only way to get a good amount out is too much! Its a waste, i agree! X

First top coat I bought I thought why is it so thick? I then ordered a 2nd one and that was the same so I just guessed they're meant to be like that. After doing around 5 shellac treatments a day I just soon got the hang of it I suppose. I keep all my bottles in the exact same place on a shelf in my room all lined up next to each other. Look at some of the videos by fingernail fixer on how to apply the top coat and you'll soon see how thick it is and how to spread it evenly.

No they haven't changed them my brush was just slightly larger than usual lol

you need to shake,, shake SHAKE!!!! it is thicker than colour coast though xx

Don't heat it, bad idea.
Just shake the ****ens out of it.

When I get towards the bottom of my base & top coats, and have a tough time getting it out, I decant one bottle into another. Those that are 'decanted', I use for my glitters. I use an icing-tip for a funnel, and tip the bottle in, while leaning the top bottle against something. I do it in the evening, when there's no day light coming in from anywhere, so no risk. If you want, decant a bit of a newer one into it as well, to lighten it up. AND SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE.....

hth's

My 1st bottle was great then the nxt was way too thick. I use a different brand for top now. When they changed the bottle designs when they were having stock issues this is when I feel it changed consistency. xx

im having top coats issues as well. i find it really thick and quite difficult to apply. i also find i am going through loads of it, i dont know if its me applying too much or the fact that it appears to be thick. i shake and shake the bottles like an idiot so i dont think its anything to do with not shaking enough. it is a bit of a pain but i still love shellac.

Why are people saying not to heat them? I put my on the heater and it goes on so easily, much quicker and goes on thinner so 1) I use less and 2) it lasts longer on clients. Curious to see why people think it's a bad idea cause I find the top coat way too think when it's room temperature and it looks bad on the nail then I find?

i had issues with mine too. i took it into the fingertiops centre and had someone look at it and they said it looked fine. i bought another anyway for my shellac and am going to use the think bottle for glitter work....however as you can see for my thread for half moon manicure it seems to be casuing me problems with this aswell as it doesnt go well over glitter beacuase its so thick. Maybe we should all get together with a petition!!!!!!

I've returned 2 bottles of top coat for this very reason. I'm aware that the base and color coats are thinner than the top; however, these two bottles were so thick, they were difficult to use. No matter how much I wiped off the brush, it was just too thick. I've used Shellac for over a year now so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing. :wink2:

I've had much better luck with the professional sized bottles of Shellac than the smaller sized bottles. The smaller sized bottles are the ones I had to return.

Last edited:
Why are people saying not to heat them? I put my on the heater and it goes on so easily, much quicker and goes on thinner so 1) I use less and 2) it lasts longer on clients. Curious to see why people think it's a bad idea cause I find the top coat way too think when it's room temperature and it looks bad on the nail then I find?
if you heat it the solvents will evaperate at a faster rate and you WILL be left with thicker top coat!

I think its funny that the opening poster answered it with out knowing right there in the title of this thred ;

"seriously getting agitated with Shellac topcoat "

agitating is exactly what it needs to make it temperaraly less viscus , shake it ! lots I normaly shake for the last 20 seconds of the color coat curing ,
also when you aply it dont drag the brush float the brush across the top!

I've returned 2 bottles of top coat for this very reason. I'm aware that the base and color coats are thinner than the top; however, these two bottles were so thick, they were difficult to use. No matter how much I wiped off the brush, it was just too thick. I've used Shellac for over a year now so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing. :wink2:

I've had much better luck with the professional sized bottles of Shellac than the smaller sized bottles. The smaller sized bottles are the ones I had to return.

How did you return them after you had used them? do i call s2 and ask them to test it? I have only done about 5 shellacs with this top coat and they have all had problems because of the top coat so i'm not happy just putting it down to experience as they are not cheap and its 2 now that have been like that?? Were they okay with you when you sent them back? I was finding i just couldnt even move it over the nail and in the end when i cured my nail there was parts of the nail that had pits in it where the top coat had not spread enough...annoying!

if you heat it the solvents will evaperate at a faster rate and you WILL be left with thicker top coat!

I think its funny that the opening poster answered it with out knowing right there in the title of this thred ;

"seriously getting agitated with Shellac topcoat "

agitating is exactly what it needs to make it temperaraly less viscus , shake it ! lots I normaly shake for the last 20 seconds of the color coat curing ,
also when you aply it dont drag the brush float the brush across the top!

So is it right that we shouldn't warm the product before application, as iv been doin and just shake like mad???!!

When shaking hit it the bottle off the palm of your hand like in Fingernail Fixer's video.

When shaking hit it the bottle off the palm of your hand like in Fingernail Fixer's video.

Yep thats how i do it after watching her vids but nothing seems to help the topcoat. I am going on a shellac attack course next week and fully intend on asking what the problem is as to be honest its not me i have tried everything and i know there is product in there because i tried a trick someone on here gave me about putting a toothpick or somthing similar in and seeing how far up the stick the product goes and there was loads so i don't want to buy another one like i did last time as its just wasting my money.......

I'll bring my bottle in and show them......the top has gone all hard and gunky so i figured it had cured but theres no way ot could have unless the air can cure it! :) i know people say if you have it open a long time it causes problems but that's not on it shouldnt cause it problems like that.........sorry for long post.....:)

it is a great post,i thought it was just me!! i will get shaking :D

If it was ment to be warmed I'm sure CND would have created a warmer ,

If it's good when you first get it and it's getting gloopy after a few uses it's got to be something you are doing or not doing,

Don't ;
Heat it ( not even beetween legs) Unless your working in below room temperature conditions ,

Leave lid off for to long

Don't excessively whip the brush on the side of the bottle

Do ;
Shake To agitate

Read Doug schoons book !

Wipe / clean the bottle neck with a lint free wipe damp with d-sperce especially if your wipe your brush on the side alot.

Keep lid on and tightly closed when not in use

Store up right & out of sun at room temp .

Float brush across nail not drag , your coating it not emulsifying it!

The same rules apply with a regular top coat or even most gel top coats ,

Latest posts

Back