Seriously getting agitated with Shellac topcoat!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was ment to be warmed I'm sure CND would have created a warmer ,

If it's good when you first get it and it's getting gloopy after a few uses it's got to be something you are doing or not doing,

Don't ;
Heat it ( not even beetween legs) Unless your working in below room temperature conditions ,

Leave lid off for to long

Don't excessively whip the brush on the side of the bottle

Do ;
Shake To agitate

Read Doug schoons book !

Wipe / clean the bottle neck with a lint free wipe damp with d-sperce especially if your wipe your brush on the side alot.

Keep lid on and tightly closed when not in use

Store up right & out of sun at room temp .

Float brush across nail not drag , your coating it not emulsifying it!

The same rules apply with a regular top coat or even most gel top coats ,

This all sounds like great advice but as i said I have done all that.......How long is too long to have it open when your doing a clients nails?? To be honest the honest reason it might be open for longer than i would like is because its so flaming thick!!

I understand everything you are saying to me about what to do/not to do but don't you think we all know these things.....out of sunlight in a box in a cupboard so NO sunlight at all can get to it etc etc but since when did how long the bottle is open affect the thickness of it? I will close it during treatment and keep shaking and shaking and its still too thick to spread evenly on the nail so i give up :(

Yes I have the same problem to is it possible to stir it rather than shake does anyone know

Just to let you know ladies that I am looking into this and expect some answers for you in a couple of days when S2 get back from the USA where they have been seeing CND.

I haven't answered this thread before because I just find it so extraordinary that for the last year and a half I have just used my top coats (many of them) as normal and never had it go thick so that I couldn't apply it.

Now logically we all know that curing is what makes UV cured products go thick so I can only asume that your Shellac Top Coat is curing somehow. This could be down to how you store the bottles or how long you have them open and WHERE and in what circumstances you have them open (ie in a sunny window when you are working, exposed to UV light or other type of flourescent bulb that emits UV rays thaqt you haven't thought about etc) you must check these things. Still enough of you seem to be experiencing the same thing that of course it is a concern to us that we find out why?

I do not hear anything from our educators or salons coming to us with the same problems so it makes me wonder how much some of you know about UV light and maybe are not experienced nail technicians but manicurists and perhaps not used to not used to working with UV cured products? I just can't tell from your posts, so that information would be useful and for you to really think where you have had your top coat ... maybe in the car when sunny and hot ... just asking you to think about it.

We are listening and if there was a genuine problem with a batch or something like that, rest assured that you will be able to change your top coat, but until we have found out that information we have to assume it is something you may be doing that is affecting your Shellac Top coat. The Top Coat is meant to be used and to stay open for a reasonable amount of time during the life of the bottle so it isn't normal use that is causing this .. it must be something else. Will have some info in the next week for you. x

Last edited:
I but since when did how long the bottle is open affect the thickness of it? I will close it during treatment and keep shaking and shaking and its still too thick to spread evenly on the nail so i give up :(

Scince shellac top coat is thixotropic!
It NEEDs the movement !

Thixotropic: Describes materials that are gel-like at rest but fluid when agitated.

It contains the solvents of paint or polish ! Witch evaporate , that's why paints ect dry up. As it evaporates you are left with the hevyer particles that do not evaporate , leaving something of a thick viscosity ,

I found my bottle of top coat was much thicker the first time I opened it. So I looked at CND's website and found the page where it tells you how many services you should get from a bottle. Now the base coat gives 35 services and the top coat 20 for the same size bottle, so logically it would be thicker, right?

Like you all I have felt that my top coat too thick, warmed it shaken it and still thick, so I have just done shellac on a client and I didn't warm it shook like mad and changed the way I applied, instead of almost dragging like applying normal enamel I skimmed across the top with the tip of the brush wow what a difference!, I have read about this before but it hadnt sunk in so to speak i will never warm it again and will skim not drag!

The Top Coat is meant to be used and to stay open for a reasonable amount of time during the life of the bottle so it isn't normal use that is causing this .. it must be something else. Will have some info in the next week for you. x

Gigi, thanks for checking into this. Just to let you know, I recently purchaseed two bottles for our salon. Before I left the store, I opened each bottle. One was perfect, one was thick. ????

This is by no means a suggestion, but rather a question to knowledgeable geeks. I'm just wondering if you could use a product to thin the topcoat? If it is indeed just very thick, rather than curing as Geeg suggested.
I ask because I know that with fast dry topcoats such as Seche Vite that go very gloopy and unworkable when the solvents evaporate, you use Seche Restore to replace the solvent content and restore it to original consistency.
I'm aware that they are completely different products, but would this be feasible for Shellac topcoat, or would it affect it's ability to cure?

This is by no means a suggestion, but rather a question to knowledgeable geeks. I'm just wondering if you could use a product to thin the topcoat? If it is indeed just very thick, rather than curing as Geeg suggested.
I ask because I know that with fast dry topcoats such as Seche Vite that go very gloopy and unworkable when the solvents evaporate, you use Seche Restore to replace the solvent content and restore it to original consistency.
I'm aware that they are completely different products, but would this be feasible for Shellac topcoat, or would it affect it's ability to cure?

I'M NOT SUGGESTING THAT CURING is the only thing that would thicken Shellac or any other solvent based top coat. If for instance someone had checked out thetop coat in Gr8nailz wholesale outlet and had left the top not screwed on tight, then solvent evaporation would also naturally be a contributing cause to it being thick.

The problem with leaving the addition of a solvent thinner especially for Shellac, up to individuals to add to varying amounts to left over product would seriously affect the formula of the product and all sorts of problems would ensue. I don't think CND would consider it.

I have asked Samantha about it and her talks with CND and they have just not had significant amounts of feedback from technicians to believe that the odd cases of thickend top coat is a quality issue but rather in individual issue.

What I suggest, is that you let CND know on their facebook page about it and let them deal with the feedback. Let S2 know if you are a UK technician and let your distributor know in your own area. Only then can things be tested or looked at to see if itis an individual problem or a quality control issue.

...let CND know on their facebook page about it and let them deal with the feedback.

Good idea. I've contacted our rep but will follow through with your suggestion. Thanks, Gigi.

Thank you Gigi for clarifying. As I said, I just wondered if thinner could be an option, but your advice is obviously sensible :)

Latest posts

Back