set up at home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deb32

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to set up beauty at home but dont have a spare room, so i was wondering if i could set up in my lounge as it is very big room, half lounge and half dining room but if i got room dividers to break the room up would that be possiable??

thanks deb

Hi Deb,
I used to do mobile work and if a client wanted to come to me I would explain that it was just my living room and they were OK about it.

I would be careful about wording your advertising, as its not a home salon its a living room, but there are quite a few geeks who use their living space as their working space too.

Don't forget your public liability insurance.

something else I'm looking into at the moment too, that you might need to be aware of.

I think there's some thing concerned with using your home as a business, in that when you sell it, you have to pay business rates, or something like that. I hope someone will clarify this. Also, you have to up your home insurance as you'll have strangers coming in. There are lots of bits like this you should look into before committing. I'm going mobile soon, but was thinking similarly, in using part of my dining room for doing nails & eyebrow/lash treatments, so that's why I'm looking further....

Good luck hun hope it all turns out well for you:hug:

Hi thanks ditzy,
never thought of it like that glad you told me thou.

Hi thanks
yea know what you mean think i was just being daft then as i cant go mobile as i dont drive lol
thanks again for the reply

Hi Deb,

Good luck with the Biz! I am also in the process of setting up at home. Although I do not have a big enough living room! I know it sounds strange but we have moved everything in our bedroom, and my husband has made some room dividers so you can't see our bed! I was suprised at how fab it looks and am really pleased. Once I get my insence on and some relaxing music, it really feels like a treatment room! :green:

x

Hi Deb,

Good luck with the Biz! I am also in the process of setting up at home. Although I do not have a big enough living room! I know it sounds strange but we have moved everything in our bedroom, and my husband has made some room dividers so you can't see our bed! I was suprised at how fab it looks and am really pleased. Once I get my insence on and some relaxing music, it really feels like a treatment room! :green:

x
hi
as your insurrance gone up on the house with it been a buisness???

Hi Deb,
I used to do mobile work and if a client wanted to come to me I would explain that it was just my living room and they were OK about it.

I would be careful about wording your advertising, as its not a home salon its a living room, but there are quite a few geeks who use their living space as their working space too.

Don't forget your public liability insurance.
Hi can you give me some advice then about setting up home as you know what you are on about i have nopt a clue lol
thanks deb x

Hi can you give me some advice then about setting up home as you know what you are on about i have nopt a clue lol
thanks deb x

I think you need to inform your local council as well, and unless you own your home you need to get permission from your landlord. You'll have to be aware of health and safety issues (sorry if you know this already) and take steps such as having a fire extinguisher and first aid kit on site. I know you might think its going OTT but I think it's best to be prepared and although it is in your home it's still a good idea to be as professional as if you were in a high street salon.

You'll need somwhere suitable to keep your client record cards as per the Data Protection Act, and dont forget to PAT test all of your electrical equipment. I know this is obvious and I hope you dont think I'm teaching you to suck eggs lol, remember to keep all products with chemicals in a safe place, and if I were you I'd make a business plan also, even if you dont need a bank loan or whatever, it's good to have something to refer too.

Have you done any courses with HMRC? You'll need to register with the inland revenue, if you dont do this within the first 3 months you can get fined £100

best of luck mate xxx

Hi thanks
yea know what you mean think i was just being daft then as i cant go mobile as i dont drive lol
thanks again for the reply
I do drive but dont have a car and use public transport - I am mobile, and if client want to come to me /I explain the situation they usually fine with it.

Good luck - sure you do well.:green:

Hi Deb,
I've just set up from home, so may be able to help in some areas.
I contacted my local council to ensure I had all the appropriate insurance and certificates. A very good website for this is businesslink. You can put the details of your business start up and they will tell you which regulations/licences you may require. here is the web link for their getting started section Business start-up organiser | Business Link

In relation to the use of your home for business purposes and how this will effect your council tax rates (which is what it will effect), you will need to contact your local valuations office who will assess the size of the area being used, if the area is solely used for business purposes, and the frequency of use for this purpose. They report back to your council, and to be honest, from what you've said so far, i don't think you'll be liable for business rates. You can get the details of your local valuations office from your local council. Just say to them that you need to know who to contact about having your house valued for business rates.
Other than that, house insurance can be affected, and any mortgage provider would need to be consulted first. You would normally find that your professional insurance will include public liability, but double check with them that it will cover your clients in this situation.

As sodabubble said, health and safety. A great website for help and guidance is HSE Looking after occupational health safety and welfare in your business, and you can obtain a health and safety assessment pack from somewhere like Ellisons (that's where i got mine from) for the appropriate assessment forms, if required.

You will also need to obtain a music licence. see this thread http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/63245-music-salons-license-needed.html for help on that.

i hope this helps, and feel free to pm me if you have any other q's.

Latest posts

Back