Severe allergic reaction...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justlashes

Reaction score
Hi Ladies, I have been lashing for around 2 months and am suffering from the most terrible allergic reaction. I get a suffed up nose which then runs and runs (sorry!)... I sneeze and it's just like having the worst cold in the world.!
I brought some EN149 grade face masks but still suffer - although not quite as bad.
I've used various glues - which clearly are all high fumes and so I think I now need to swap to a low odour or odourless glue.. but which one?
I am concerened that I won't get the adhesion I need or that the lashes fall out prematurely.

Any advise at all would be gratefully received! x

Hi
Sorry to hear you're suffering so much. This is one reason why I haven't swapped over to a glue with fumes as I know the symptoms suffered by therapists are much worse and very different to those clients suffer. I am in the process of deciding whether to take the plunge with a glue with fumes but for you I can recommend pro blend plus from A H Francis as it's odourless, good and myself or any of my clients have ever reacted to it.
Put yourself first as the symptoms you are suffering may affect your long term health.
Xxxxxx

Hi Ladies, I have been lashing for around 2 months and am suffering from the most terrible allergic reaction. I get a suffed up nose which then runs and runs (sorry!)... I sneeze and it's just like having the worst cold in the world.!
I brought some EN149 grade face masks but still suffer - although not quite as bad.
I've used various glues - which clearly are all high fumes and so I think I now need to swap to a low odour or odourless glue.. but which one?
I am concerened that I won't get the adhesion I need or that the lashes fall out prematurely.

Any advise at all would be gratefully received! x

I know a fellow geek, elliebee, suffers from extreme reaction to the glue, she also wears goggles :eek: to stop the fumes going in her eyes, I also suggested vasceline in your nostrils to slow the fumes down lmao (it works with hayfever).

Unfortunately, any odourless glue will not have the same longevity as a fume glue, worth seeing if anyone else has any good solutions for the fumes :hug: this would be my absolute worst nightmare :eek: Definately try the goggles, the client cant see you anyway :green:

Yip! You have my total sympathy hun.

I have all of your symptoms plus itchy scaly eyes if I stop wearing my goggles.

I have also developed contact dermatitis on my hand so my pre lashing routine involves,
putting vaseline around my eyes and lashes
putting my mask on
putting my glasses on (which I only needed after I starting lashing)
putting my HUGE safety goggles on (which often steam up if my goggles aren't positioned correctly)
wearing a tight latex glove on my right hand

Sounds extreme? Yes! but its the only way I can lash without feeling thoroughly awful.

Is it the correct mask you have? I had the surgical type which was useless and recently changed to this one which is designed to keep the fumes out.
Individual eyelash extension accessories Page 1

There's no miracle answer hun and I know some peeps have actually given up lashing as a result. The low odour glues wont really help as they still have cyanoacrylate in which is the culprit (albeit in lesser amounts). Plus the are nowhere near as good or long lasting.

Sorry I couldn't be more positive. x:hug:

OH, and it may be obvious be keep a window/door open. My room is quite small so although I can't actually smell the glue, I know the fumes are filling the room so try to keep it ventilated.

I may invest in some type of extractor/air purifier but I would need to investigate further before I spend lots of money (although I wouldn't hesitate to spend if I KNEW it would help.

Last edited:
Hi ladies
Out of interest what do you consider longevity with lashes? For example I use an odourless glue and find that for 2 week infills the ladies have lost 1/3 to 1/2 of lashes (sometimes less) whereas 3 week infills slightly more but I have a few clients that still have a few on after 4 weeks, but they tend to be the clients that don't wear much makeup and so don't use many products around their eyes.
I thought this was pretty good for a fumeless glue but would be interested to know the results of glues with fumes.
Xxx
Also infills take roughly 30-40 mins for 2 weeks or 45-60 for 3 weeks

Hi ladies
Out of interest what do you consider longevity with lashes? For example I use an odourless glue and find that for 2 week infills the ladies have lost 1/3 to 1/2 of lashes (sometimes less) whereas 3 week infills slightly more but I have a few clients that still have a few on after 4 weeks, but they tend to be the clients that don't wear much makeup and so don't use many products around their eyes.
I thought this was pretty good for a fumeless glue but would be interested to know the results of glues with fumes.
Xxx
Also infills take roughly 30-40 mins for 2 weeks or 45-60 for 3 weeks

I expect my clients to only lose up to a quarter of their lashes after 2 weeks, slightly more after 3 weeks. I explain to my clients that they must have at least 50% of their lashes on for an infill otherwise it will be charged at a half set and I expect them to have lost half their lashes by week 4.

Your fumeless glue sounds like it is one of the better ones :green:

Hi Stephanie
Thanks for reply.
To be honest I've been pretty happy with glue but i just can't see how I can reduce my times without a faster glue, but can't decide if it's worth the jump as I can do full sets in just over an hour now.
Do u mind my asking which glue you use and whether it has fumes and are you happy with it???
Xxxxx

Sorry Stephanie that ? Should have been directed to blinkingorgeous!!!!!

Hello Ladies.. . thank you so much for all of your replies...

My apologies for the delay in replying but pretty much went straight to dinner with friends from work.

Elliebee.. OMG.. you poor thing. I thought I had it bad but you are properly suffering. Bless you....You are clearly dedicated and good on you for that.

Thank you again for your the advise.. I will consider the AH Francis low odour glue but looking at their website it's sooooo expensive but I may have no other choice. xx

Hi Stephanie
Thanks for reply.
To be honest I've been pretty happy with glue but i just can't see how I can reduce my times without a faster glue, but can't decide if it's worth the jump as I can do full sets in just over an hour now.
Do u mind my asking which glue you use and whether it has fumes and are you happy with it???
Xxxxx

I use Flirties expert strength, it does have a degree of fumes and yes I am very happy with it :green:

I used to get severe headaches by the end of a day with a glue I used. i changed, and have no problems now. I do use a fumeless glue for sensitive clients, and I have to say I see no difference in returns in regard to lash extensions lost, but the slow drying time drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it may be worth trying another companies glue, to see if that eases the reactions. Poor you :hug:

Has anyone tried kiss lashes no.1 sensitive glue from lashbase? It's got a 3-5 second set time and no fumes. Wondering if it's any good as I really don't want to give up lashing because of the smell!! x

Has anyone tried kiss lashes no.1 sensitive glue from lashbase? It's got a 3-5 second set time and no fumes. Wondering if it's any good as I really don't want to give up lashing because of the smell!! x

Hi Pink, I am very tempted to give that one ago. I just wonder if anybody has tried it and what results they get?

I am currently using Eyelash Emporium glue medium vescosity and the Ultra Eyelash Emporium. Both bung me up to high heaven! x:irked:

Latest posts

Back