SEVERE nail biter - I need help please?! :-(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cole7562

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

ok so her goes, basically i bite my nails until there is practically no nail bed left, i bite the skin and pull bits of my nail plate off with my teeth until there is literally nothing left but hard skin and they often bleed! i absolutely hate doing it and hate how disgusting they look but just cant seem to stop myself :-(

what im looking for is someone in the glasgow/renfrewshire area who is willing to take me on as a client and help me grow my nails until i can (one day, maybe!) get enhancements. i would be willing to come in for weekly manicures (and no doubt a pep talk!) in the hope it would encourage me to grow my nails.

can anyone help?
:cry:

There will be a nail tech in Glasgow that will be able to help you,
its always quiet on here on a weekend,
some one will answer your plea soon :hug:

hey!

have you tried dumbarton rd? there should be someone there!

or nailzone in queen st and hope st?

:)

Urban Angel in Renfrew is a lovely salon and the owners are very friendly.

I thought you might find the following post helpful:

Biting nails is a psychological thing, something many people do subconsciously b/c something in their life triggers this response - like stress. Pay close attention to the moments when you are most likely to chew your nails, find out what is your trigger, then do something different instead. Such as: each time you would go to chew your nails or find yourself chewing your nails make a conscious effort to not do so and put cuticle oil on instead. You might also find that rubbing a yukky or strong tasting oil into your cuticles - like sesame oil - helps you to notice when you are chewing your nails.

I'm sure you will find someone in your area able to help you with growing your nails, who will be able to provide you with great service, advice and products able to help with the care of your nails.
But also be mindful of the above information, treating the 'cause' and not just the symptom will go a long way towards helping you have the lovely healthy nails you desire :green:

I can't help you with regards to finding anyone to help you in your area....I'm sure there will be someone to help you soon....

but I am a nail biter....on and off....
not as severe as you are I might add....my daughter bites her nails severely, she has about 1mm of nail if that!

Like has been mentioned though it's not something you can just stop because there is more to it than just sticking your fingers in your mouth....so you need to find your trigger moments....
for my daughter it's when she is engrossed in a movie....she goes at them like the clappers....
for me it is reading a book....

When you recognise your more intense times of nibbling then use that time to give your nails some TLC.....
when my daughter is watching a movie I give her the solar oil ( or any other brand :lol: ) and tell her to massage her fingers and nails(beds).

It's just an example....but pampering your whole hands....paying attention to them....having regular manicures....and trying to avoid trigger moments might help.....

A nail biters nails tend to grow fast due to the constant stimulation so you should see results quite quickly....and I personally find once my nails get to a certain length....they look so nice I don't want to bite them....
it's only when they are short I bite them :rolleyes:

Nail Biting CAN be overcome....but it has to come from within....all the manicures and advice in the world won't help if you don't dig deep inside.

Nail biting is related to other 'compulsions' and is done because it gives us satisfaction....when we are stressed it soothes us....when we are bored it stimulates us....when we get that piece of skin or bit of nail it relaxes us...

Due to my recent problem of Trichotillomania ( hair pulling ) I have really researched about this subject.
Nail-biting, Hair pulling and skin picking are all related compulsion disorders...
Unfortunately for me I have/had all three problems....and all overcome....

I didn't realise it until I researched my hair pulling that all these problems were related....it also relates to OCD....and I have just realised I have that too....

We do it because in actual fact we enjoy it....the pleasure outweighs everything else.

I looked into so many things to help me....but when it came down to it I had to recondition my brain.

You have taken the first step by wanting to stop.
There isn't a cure....it is a chronic problem....but you can overcome it.

Good luck....I hope you succeed xxxxxxx

P.S sorry just seen jolicatellas mentioned treating the cause aswell....I should have read the other posts first....ooops!

Last edited:
Nail biting, among other cumpulsive habits, can be a sign of an anxiety disorder. This is the case for me. I've been on medication for anxiety and depression for many years. The depression is the more serious problem for me, however I've noticed that when I am on certain depression medications they help me more with anxiety and I bite my nails less as a result. My therapist recommended substituting the biting behavior with TLC behavior, ie. using cuticle remover, filing jagged edges smooth, and generally caring for my nails rather than biting them. This worked well for me. It kept me busy and relieved anxiety and improved the look of my nails. Another strategy that worked well for me was glueing on fake drugstore nails and painting them with nail hardener to make them stronger. I did this until my natural nails grew out and then CAREFULLY removed them and began pampering my new natural nails. Unfortunately I had a really tense week about a month later and bit them all down again. :rolleyes:

Also I have found that putting plain old Chapstick on my nails and cuticles keeps them looking good and keeps the cuticles from getting rough and dry so I am less tempted to nibble. So when you are tempted to bite or catch yourself biting, try switching to nail care behavior instead.

Good Luck

I used to bite my nails quite badly, one nail in perticular(sp) which now grows a slightly funny shape.
Ive managed to stop biting my nails, first its a case of finding the trigger, in my case it was stress, Id get stressed and before I knew it, chew chew chew.
Second its all in the will power, if you Really want nice nails you Can stop biting, you really can.
You cant always avoid the triggers but you can know what they are so your aware of the situation, then you wont unknowingly bite your nails.

Remind yourself how nice your nails Will look, give yourself that incentive.
Buy some nice nail oil like solar oil and rub it in daily. As soon as you have a little lenght paint your nails a natural colour, just being aware of the polish there can stop you chewing.

Mine now are lovely and long, I have manicures done occasionally and they look gorgeous, I even have people comment on what nice nails I have, and thats after breaking a habit of 15 years.

So it can be done, Just be Strong! :hug:

I dont bite my nails but i have a habbit of cracking my knuckles - i never thort it was bad unitl now. When it gets cold my fingers feel as though they are stiff and its hurts a little to. I thort it would be easy to stop so i decided to make a little tally chart which was that everytime i cracked my knuckles i would put £1 in a jar. This didnt go to well as i found out i was going to be skint as i crack them that much. I noticed i crack them when im nervous or anxious and i get really carried away. Doing the money jar thing strangely has helped as everytime i go to crack them i relise what im doing and try to resist (sometimes not possible lol) - My cracking knuckles is on a similar line to nail bitting as like nail bitters they dont want horrible nails, and me i dont want to be having issues with my hands, but my gosh its hard to control yaself to stop doing it x

Latest posts

Back