Shabby chic vintage furniture!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it really stick to anything? Even the cheap nasty furniture out of argos?!

Yip I'm doing my daughters tomorrow, it's ikea

Yip I'm doing my daughters tomorrow, it's ikea

Does it really stay put?! I'm just about to throw out a crap set if argos drawers but if they'll paint I'll keep them!!

Does it really stay put?! I'm just about to throw out a crap set if argos drawers but if they'll paint I'll keep them!!

Keep them lol

Clean them with damp cloth
dry them
Paint them (water paint down its very thick)
2nd coat
Sand lightly to smooth paint off or to distress corners
Wax
Then replace the knobs

Good luck

Last edited:
I'll need to try it! Got a stock pile of things I'm going to revamp......maybe one day!!x

Thanks jojo, how are you getting on with your projects? X

At a bit of a stand still as the handles I bought are faulty. 3 out of 8 are good ones the rest I need to take back ;-(

At a bit of a stand still as the handles I bought are faulty. 3 out of 8 are good ones the rest I need to take back ;-(

Oh no!

What ones did you go for??
I need loads so don't want to spend a fortune

Hi ladies!

I have been watching and reading this thread lots as I am going to start my first piece on Wednesday(just some drawers!) but have an amazing recycle shop near me with bargain pieces that I want to lay my hands on!

I have decided to mix up my own chalk paint and see how that goes, I have read in another forum that if you mix it up right, its brilliant and just as great!

I am confused and need advice about the wax. I've read that you don't need specifically Annie Sloan wax and can use any branded wood wax. So off I trot to Homebase to find myself overwhelmed with so many wood waxes. They had liquid runny types of wax and then like a paste... Please help someone! I have no idea which type of wax I need-the runny sort or pastey sort!

P.S. everyone's items look beautiful and I will be sure to share my pic!

Rachel xx

You can use any wax but I do much prefer Annie Sloan, Iv tried loads,
It dries nicely and does not alter your paint colour and doest ware off when you polish the furniture,

Your looking for a soft clear or dark wax, read up on the Annie one and try and buy similar

Homebase may sell a Laura Ashley one

Thank you:)

Do any of you lovely ladies know where I can find out more about reviving old furniture? I am wondering how to add photos and pics to coffee tables etc maybe a forum or magazine anybody could recommend?

Rachel xx

Thank you:)

Do any of you lovely ladies know where I can find out more about reviving old furniture? I am wondering how to add photos and pics to coffee tables etc maybe a forum or magazine anybody could recommend?

Rachel xx

Decoupage. Again annie Sloan has a great range! She has some books that are really helpful and have great tips.

Can I ask why your making your own chalk paint?

No words can express how excited I was to find this thread (I even called hubby at work to tell him but he just couldn't feign interest despite trying!). We're hopefully moving in a couple of weeks to a Victorian house and I desperately wanted some old English style chabby chic furniture and now I've found this thread I'm going to makeover ALL of our furniture!! I've spruced and reupholstered a few bits in the past but all the sanding and priming made it boring, this Annie Sloan paint sounds like my saviour!!! Better get some new staples for my staple gun ;) xxx

Decoupage. Again annie Sloan has a great range! She has some books that are really helpful and have great tips.

Can I ask why your making your own chalk paint?

Thank you, very helpful!
I am making my own just to be a bit adventurous with colours and things. Have you done this before?:)

I can't believe I've only just discovered that you don't need to prep and prime with Annie Sloan, thank you ladies for the tips.
I started to prep a table & chairs about 3 months ago, taking the chairs outside to sand, waiting for good weather lol. So far I've managed 1 chair, sanded, primed, sanded and ready for paint!
I'm off to get the Annie Sloan paint to crack on with it in no time!
I've got an oak dresser too from eBay £32! Bargain.
So you're sure I can paint it directly onto the varnished surface of the dresser??

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370966820.935660.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370966820.935660.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 293
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370966864.601941.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370966864.601941.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 287
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370966939.085779.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1370966939.085779.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 309
That dresser will look stunning!!!

Thanks! I can't wait to get started, I've been putting it off for months as I thought I'd have to sand it first. Getting some Annie paint tomorrow

I can't believe I've only just discovered that you don't need to prep and prime with Annie Sloan, thank you ladies for the tips.
I started to prep a table & chairs about 3 months ago, taking the chairs outside to sand, waiting for good weather lol. So far I've managed 1 chair, sanded, primed, sanded and ready for paint!
I'm off to get the Annie Sloan paint to crack on with it in no time!
I've got an oak dresser too from eBay £32! Bargain.
So you're sure I can paint it directly onto the varnished surface of the dresser??

Paint on to ANY surface and no need to sand before hand,

Thank you, very helpful!
I am making my own just to be a bit adventurous with colours and things. Have you done this before?:)

Yea, it's easy, share your pics

Ooooh so excited lady on free cycle has just messaged me about a 1960's dressing table she has in mahogany. .. guess what my first project is going to be :))))

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

WARNING!!!! Annie Sloan paint is addictive. You'll end up painting everything in sight. :)

Can anyone help I've had two shelf units painted with Annie Sloan chalk paint and somehow from towels etc it has absorbed oil and has stained. Tried painting over it but won't soak up/hide it. Any tips to cover it??

Back