Shall I do the Minx & Shellac course?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellini

Reaction score
Hi All

After browsing through the forum it might seem like a silly question but hey ho.! I am qualified in gel nails nvq level 2 and will be starting the nvq level 3 in September. I was wondering whether it will be worth paying for the Minx & Shellac courses? I've heard other companies are just as good especially for nail transfers but obviously want to offer what the clients want.

Also if I had to chose one (money being tight) which one would I go for straight away?

Thanks all
xx

Hi All

After browsing through the forum it might seem like a silly question but hey ho.! I am qualified in gel nails nvq level 2 and will be starting the nvq level 3 in September. I was wondering whether it will be worth paying for the Minx & Shellac courses? I've heard other companies are just as good especially for nail transfers but obviously want to offer what the clients want.

Also if I had to chose one (money being tight) which one would I go for straight away?

Thanks all
xx

Shellac First as it is the big money earner and everyone is asking for it.

Minx second. You are right that there are allot of copy cat products, but they are not of he same quality, they are not what clients are asking for and they are not really any less expensive. You get a a great return on your investment on all top quality products and you actually make less using the copies and they are not as easy to apply as Minx.

If money is tight, then all the more reason to be extra careful with what you buy and make sure it is what people want.

I think it's always good to have the training for a specific product, to learn what it's made from and why it does what it does, who it's best for etc. You will get shown how to apply it properly (I've seen it applied badly...it's not good) and what the pitfalls may be...ie. has the shellac been applied too thickly. You need to know as much as you can as you will be using these products on other people and you also have to look at the insurance aspect too.

With shellac you can learn about layering and customising colours for your client.

If I had to do one, I would go for Shellac first as it can be for every day or evening/special occasion...you can do so much with it, I always think of Minx as special occasion and for summer. I am doing both for the reasons I've given x

Yes I think it would be worth paying to do the courses. Shellac then minx.

Definitely Shellac then Minx - I've only had one enquiry about Minx recently (on the toes) and everything else has been Shellac xx

I asked this same question not long ago. I eventually decided to get both but on reflection should have only got shellac. I use it every day. Minx I've had for a couple of months and found that its no where near as popular. Defiantly go for the shellac xx

I asked this same question not long ago. I eventually decided to get both but on reflection should have only got shellac. I use it every day. Minx I've had for a couple of months and found that its no where near as popular. Defiantly go for the shellac xx

I always wish that people would qualify their answer by saying "it is not as popular for ME". For many it is a core product of their business and all this depends on so many variables .. the main one being how good are YOU at marketing Minx Maybe you are not very good at that or maybe you are not that interested yourself so your clients do not get excited about it. Perhaps if you put the same excitement and enthusiasm behind Minx it would be as popular as your Shellac Service. It certainly is in our salon ... we are known for our Minx and the person who does it is a man! Shellac is also very big and enhancements still as big as ever.

Minx is what you make it .. Shellac is what you make it ... enhancements are what you make it and because it may not be big for you does not mean that is the same for everyone.

The reason I say learn Shellac before Minx is because Shellac gets you into the manicure7pedicure category first ,,, Minx does not.

Last edited:
Shellac First as it is the big money earner and everyone is asking for it.

Minx second. You are right that there are allot of copy cat products, but they are not of he same quality, they are not what clients are asking for and they are not really any less expensive. You get a a great return on your investment on all top quality products and you actually make less using the copies and they are not as easy to apply as Minx.

If money is tight, then all the more reason to be extra careful with what you buy and make sure it is what people want.

I've recently had enquiries about Minx (not as many as shellac) but for me to be able to commit to a client I will have to purchase the minx lamp etc which is quite a lot to begin with and Im not sure how popular it will be...

A friend of mine suggested using a hairdryer or a standard infrared lamp- will these be sufficient to begin with or is it worth spending the money on the right equipment to begin with?

I'm not Shellac trained but I do offer Minx and they are still a popular product so I wouldnt rule it out entirely.

I've just returned to the salon after a couple of years break and intend to invest in my training to make sure that I'm up to speed with whats going on in the industry, and as soon as I am able I will be doing the Shellac and Minx training, followed by the master painters course. I will also be building a skill building for my l&p because although I'm completely happy with my acrylic work theres always something new to learn and its easy to slip into bad habits in the salon. I'll be doing Brisa skill building in time too because I'm Brisa qualified but havent done them for a while and dont want that skill to die off.

booking a skill building, not building!!!!

Latest posts

Back