Shellac advice sought

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpster

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
I'm back doing nails after a 2 year break and have started back doing l&p, gel and silk enhancements. I've got myself busy minxing too but really want to offer something for the clients who just want a great long lasting polish so am looking at offering shellac. I haven't had chance to call S2 yet as I also work full time elsewhere so don't seem to get s spare minute until later at night, perhaps you can help so here goes:

1: What should I order - is it better to order just a couple of bottles or go for the set of 6 (i think it's 6, S2 mag not at hand)?
2: what colours are most popular?
3: what process do you go through to apply?
4: Is it only suitable as a 'durable' polish or can it be used with a tip as an enhancement?
5: what do you charge for shellac?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for any advice, Caroline :)

Sorry I cant answer your questions but I need the answers to them all too!!!Lol
I'd like to offer Shellac too and would like to find out all about it so i've cheekily subscribed to your thread to find out more...hehee x

You should join the Shellac Lovers group on here: Salon Geek - Shellac Lovers So much information on shellac there. But for basica answers, I'd say just start saving up to get them all! By the time you've got the money to buy the whole lot, it might be in stock :p But honestly, the only colors that I don't use often are iced cappucino and rosebud. But there are still clients that love them. The application is fairly easy. If you know how to use a UV lamp and can polish precisely, you can do shellac. It's just like polishing, just curing between each layer. And you can put it over enhancements, just make sure you charge accordingly. And as far as that goes, I'm in the US in a very small town, so it's hard to give you an exact number, but I think the guideline is add 50% of the service onto the cost. So if your manis are $20, make a mani w/ shellac $30. Hth's!

Hi Geeks,
I'm back doing nails after a 2 year break and have started back doing l&p, gel and silk enhancements. I've got myself busy minxing too but really want to offer something for the clients who just want a great long lasting polish so am looking at offering shellac. I haven't had chance to call S2 yet as I also work full time elsewhere so don't seem to get s spare minute until later at night, perhaps you can help so here goes:

1: What should I order - is it better to order just a couple of bottles or go for the set of 6 (i think it's 6, S2 mag not at hand)?
Well, it is always better to have more colors than not! And with the 12 existing colors, you can have more than 40 if you layer them!
2: what colours are most popular?
All of them! It depends on your clientele, just like with polishes...
3: what process do you go through to apply?
Remove the cuticle, shape the natural nail, Scrubfresh, thin layer of base coat, 10 sec in CND UV lamp, 1st thin coat of color, 2 min in CND UV lamp, 2nd thing coat of color, 2 min in CND UV lamp, top coat, 2min in CND UV lamp, wipe with 99% IPA, get paid, book next appointment, done!
4: Is it only suitable as a 'durable' polish or can it be used with a tip as an enhancement?
Shellac is a hybrid nail color. It cannot take the place of enhancements, as it is not strong enough for such a use. You can apply it on top of enhancements, though, if you like.
5: what do you charge for shellac?
CND recommends that you charge around 50% more than your service, maybe even a little more than that.

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for any advice, Caroline :)

Hope this helps...
Welcome back to the industry!

http://www.salongeek.com/training/113923-shellac-science-very-cool-understand-know-how-use.html

http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/112879-defining-shellac-u-v-colour-coat-system.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finis...-colour-coat-system-application-tutorial.html

http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/112929-how-assemble-use-your-new-cnd-uv-lamp.html

These articles and tutorials that I have found for you in the Articles and Tutorials section here on this very site have all been written (by me as a matter of fact) to help you to know everything there is to know about Shellac and how to apply it.

Make use of this fabulous site and find these things by doing a search. :hug:

Thanks Geeks - I'll have a good old search and start saving my pennies now xx

Latest posts

Back