Shellac and doubting myself

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty geek 84

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I had a phone call from a customer whos shellac I did on friday in masquerade. Today (wed) im told its all chipped on the corners. Im so stressed out about this I'm just starting out im wanting to build clients not loose them.

I dont have any trouble with anything else with shellac other than chipping on the corners. Please help any advice. I do all of my pep using cnd products its getting me down why its chipping.

When I do my own they chip on the corners too. I am going to file my nails round instead of square to see if this makes a difference.

Have you made sure that you're 'capping' the edges correctly? X

and that you scrubfresh the edge :D

You should 'seal' the free edge with your brush as you go round the nail :) we dont recommend going back into the bottle getting more product and putting it in the end as it creates a bulge and this is more likely to chip!

Another reason being your clients nails are weak, Shellac lasts 14 days on health nails

Also this time of year, wrapping presents i bet shes been picking trying to find the end of the cellotape! I Shellac a few teachers and they say they hate it when the kids ask them to find the end as it chips there Shellac!

There are a number of things is could be but dont always think its your fault, she may have done something to her nails that she wont admit to xx

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

I've said this on a few topics now but we're producing after care leaflets for as many treatments as possible, especially nails and lashes... we seem to have a culture of customers that think gel means 'will last forever no matter what you put them through'... I think because gel, shellac, gelac etc is promoted as longer lasting and more robust people think they don't have to look after them like they would nail varnish! Drives me soooo mad when I get that phone call to say 'my nails chipped' then I ask 'what have you been doing'... my favourite answer was 'building my son's new bed'. I'm thinking of starting a top 10 'why my nail chipped' thread.. infact I'm going to right now :evil:

I've said this on a few topics now but we're producing after care leaflets for as many treatments as possible, especially nails and lashes...

Yes BeauTea great idea, if you have a Sweet Squared account number and email Geeg she has a great Shellac Aftercare sheet she can email, hope you still able to do that Geeg?

Ooh if you have a registered number with Creative in Ireland would that be okay to get a copy of the aftercare sheet from Geeg? :lol:

I would also love this aftercare sheet please Geeg:wink2:

Thanks guys. Yes def making sure I cap that free edge! Watched soooo many finger nail fixer videos!

So, when they ring back amd say oh theyve chipped do u offer to do it for free? I have not yet been able to offer solar oil retail yet.

just a suggestion...try applying a protien bond, like youngnails or linkage or whatever one u like. seems to help adhesion of the gel polishes.

just a suggestion...try applying a protien bond, like youngnails or linkage or whatever one u like. seems to help adhesion of the gel polishes.

Shellac is not a gel polish, its a power polish, & I think that if you apply another brand to your clients nails whilst doing a shellac manicure you are not giving a proper shellac service.

The chipping is more likely to be something that your client is doing. Don't do repairs for free, you are using product after all.

Are you PEPing correctly? Cuticles, scrubfresh etc? :) x

If you email the person/place you did you Shellac training with they will be able to email you the Shellac after care sheet

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

I massively identify with this post. I have been doing re-paints for free as I've been so worried about it! Ahhhhhh!!!! I can hear you all shouting at me! I'm actually repainting 2 clients this week for no charge.

I have got my care sheet now and these two will be for good will as I have to see them every day but I know I have other clients who are very happy and have no problems.

Sometimes it's really hard to have confidence in one's self isn't it? I was the same when I started doing lashes and even now 2 years later I have the odd wobble of confidence even though, if I could do my own, I'd be the technician I wanted to do them if you know what I mean!! I drive an hour away to get mine done as noone round here can do them properly!

I love Shellac and reading more I am realising that if they have peeling nails and bendy weak ones, they may well not get 14 days of flawless wear.

BTW - I have been wearing Shellac constantly since October and my nails look absolutely fine underneath. Just in case any of you out there have little seeds of doubt about nail damage!#

I'm going to be putting it right back on as I'm going camping at the weekend and I'll need something nice to look at in the cold and wet!!

BTW - don't you think that Shellac can nurse nails back from the brink? ie; they may not get 14 days out of it initially but strength will increase and not decrease? Do some of you think that Shellac hurts some people's nails?

Are you finding this problem with all your customers or just a few?

I've only been doing Shellac since January so no great expert, although I have been a nail tech for 9 years and this experience does help sometimes

People with very wafery thin nails have so much movement in their natural nail, especially if they're a tad too long, it's going to chip whether its polish, shellac or gel or even l&p, these are the only peeps I have had probs with so far

Hope this helps a bit xx

Latest posts

Back