Shellac and nail varnish remover

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden_beauty

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

now we had a conversation about shellac the other day and what to use for the tacky layer...there were a few suggestions one being acetone free nail polish remover. I was just wondering if anyone has noticed that whe you use this some colour comes off on the pad?

Is this supposed to happen?
Lisa

Hi Ladies

now we had a conversation about shellac the other day and what to use for the tacky layer...there were a few suggestions one being acetone free nail polish remover. I was just wondering if anyone has noticed that whe you use this some colour comes off on the pad?

Lisa

Acetone free nail remover is not recommended to remove the tacky layer as it still contains acetone. D.sperse from S2 or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol are best.

Use d-sperse, best thing for the job, don't use acetone free nail polish remover, totally not the thing to use.:)

Even Acetone Free Remover has a bit of Acetone in it so it will remove the Shellac in rubbed.
Stick to what is recommended by the distributor :)

Hi Ladies

Lisa

Shellac is removed by Acetone (and by the way non-acetone remover still contains acetone) so you DON'T want to use this to remove the tacky layer. You need to use alcohol... 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol where possible. If you use acetone / ScrubFresh etc to remove this will start to break Shellac down. Hope this helps. :hug:

Also, even if using the correct tools for the job, some people will notice that some of the colour is on the cotton pad - this is where you have missed some of the nail when applying the topcoat.

Dsperse is what's recommended when you train and what I use. However on my training (at a CND Academy) they were out of Dsperse and told us to use Cool Blue! Guess it's got alcohol in it...and it did work and my Shellac still lasted 14 days x

Dsperse is what's recommended when you train and what I use. However on my training (at a CND Academy) they were out of Dsperse and told us to use Cool Blue! Guess it's got alcohol in it...and it did work and my Shellac still lasted 14 days x

CoolBlue would work - decent alternative until you get your hands on d.sperse... I mean, Vodka would probably work (it is alcohol), but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for salon use :)

Latest posts

Back