Shellac Base Coat has speckles in it ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havent had this problem before but i did on a client last night, really frustrating because it was strawberry smoothie which is such a lovely light colour and it shows it up :( will try applying base coat a little thicker

Last edited:
OK ............ Time for a CLASS

I am going to explain why some of you are experiencing problems and seeing the 'bits' and why the majority (including myself are NOT).

You are not going to like it ... because, once again, it involves listening and receiving the information and then taking responsibility for a problem that you yourselves are causing.

Lets review a couple of facts first.

The Shellac Base Coat does not contain bits ... lets get that one clear from the start.

The Shellac base coat cures in a mere 10 seconds under the CND UV Lamp. Now that is a fast cure in anyones book.

So Using just that knowledge alone can you not figure out what is happening? No? Just take a little time to think about it?

OK ... Anything that cures fast (Like the Shellac Base coat) or dries super fast (like the CND Colours & Effects polishes) it stands to reason that when you use products with this fast drying quality, that your techniques have to alter to accommodate those qualities. In the 2 cases mentioned above, Shellac Base Coat and Colour & Effects polishes, you CAN'T PLAY AROUND WITH THEM WHEN APPLYING THEM OR THEY WILL START TO CURE/DRY WHILE YOU ARE APPLYING THEM.

Your application has to be quick and precise. The more you go over it and over it to correct something or add a bit more etc ... you will be working on product that is curing/drying and you will drag little cured pieces of the product along the surface (those are your 'bits').

The instructions say ...

SHELLAC BASE COAT APPLICATION

1. SHAKE the bottle to blend

2. Remove the brush from the bottle using circular movements around the inside of the neck of the bottle as you pull it out (away from you), so as to remove any excess Base Coat from the shaft of the brush which might flood it as you are working.

3. Place the brush in the centre of the nail keeping the hairs of the brush as parallel to the nail as possible and gently push the brush toward the eponychium and then glide down one side to the free edge. As you reach the free edge, twist the brush slightly and flick the hairs along the first half of the edge toward the centre which will 'cap' it. Lift the brush and repeat on the opposite side of the nail, flicking the brush again along the first half of the edge toward the centre which will 'cap' it. Make your final stroke of the brush down the centre of the nail. In the manner described apply one thin layer to each nail and free edge of all 5 nails of one hand.

Three quick and accurate strokes and finished. The more you 'play' around with it the more chance it has to cure on you while you are working. Plus you have to remember that you are working thin and thin coats cure/dry faster than thick coats (which explains why when you use a little more product on your brush that you are not experiencing the 'bits'.

I know how some of you work and I know how many of you fiddle about brushing and brushing and over doing it when it can all be so quick and simple if you use the right amount and get on with the job.

Remember ...

Shellac Base Coat does not contain bits ... lets get that one clear from the start.

The Shellac base coat cures in a mere 10 seconds under the CND UV Lamp. Now that is a fast cure in anyones book.

So Using just that knowledge alone can you not figure out what is happening?

The cure for your problems involves listening and receiving the information above and then taking responsibility for a problem that you yourselves are causing.

I hope this has helped.

Well that's told you!

That makes perfect sense (obviously!), thanks for clearing that up Geeg :hug:

I fully take on board what you are saying Geeg. I was thinking exactly that yesterday that maybe it is starting to cure by the time the nails go under the lamp but I do apply in 3 strokes as instructed so it only takes seconds to do each nail. When I was trying to work out what was causing the problem I did just one stroke on my thumb nail and I could see the speckles under my lamp. It has helped if I apply the base a little thicker, maybe this is giving me a few more seconds longer before it starts curing.

Oh and thanks 'Weezie' for your helpful comment! I thought this forum was for asking questions, sharing problems and tapping into each others knowledge and experience.

Ok geeg that makes sense when you put it like that lol :smack:, i'll have to speed up on my application so, i do think im taking too long overall anyway!

I fully take on board what you are saying Geeg. I was thinking exactly that yesterday that maybe it is starting to cure by the time the nails go under the lamp but I do apply in 3 strokes as instructed so it only takes seconds to do each nail. When I was trying to work out what was causing the problem I did just one stroke on my thumb nail and I could see the speckles under my lamp. It has helped if I apply the base a little thicker, maybe this is giving me a few more seconds longer before it starts curing.

Oh and thanks 'Weezie' for your helpful comment! I thought this forum was for asking questions, sharing problems and tapping into each others knowledge and experience.

Oh come on!! To be fair I think I can say with full confidence that weezie was just being amusing ... where has everyone's sense of humour gone these days eh? :hug:

Another thing you should consider is that in creating these little bits of cured product you are not then introducing them back into your bottle of base coat on your brush. If you drag these off with your brush and then reintroduce them into your base coat, then you will from then on see them in your base coat. THINK about everything you are doing and how it will affect your product (I'm certain those of you doing your nails too slowly will have already done this to your base coat bottle). If you have then all is not lost. You can always cure, wipe with D-Sperse and then very lightly use a block buffer or a Girlfriend buffer (black side) to smooth and then continue as normal (having the tacky layer removed will not affect the performance of Shellac in the slightest).

Most things seem obvious once they are pointed out ... many need to take time to really think about and analyze what they are doing and then I'm sure you could all figure out how to correct it.

Last edited:
Hi ok so I'm going to have a little moan hear and I would like to say sorry now if it comes across as rude but there are a few things that are starting to get on my neves.
Firstly I would like to let everyone know that I am a beauty therapist and not a nailteck I had never evan used a uv light and before I got shellac. Wot I am finding on this site are that some people are exspecting some of us to know all about uv lights and curing wen some of us have had no trainng on uv lights now of course I have done my own reasearch for my self I evan paid to have one to one trainng on shallac and at no point in that training was the theory of uv lamps expliained to me it was just a pratiacal I am to this day unshure of wot exsacly happends in the curing prosess. Now
how the heck am I supposed to know that the base will cure whilst appying if iv never been told in fact on my training I was told because it won't dry till cured I could play with it a little more than a polish if this is not the case then I feel the money spent on training was a wast. The trainier I used was recommend by sweet squared. X x I am thankfull for everyone that has tried to help with this problem.

Hi ok so I'm going to have a little moan hear and I would like to say sorry now if it comes across as rude but there are a few things that are starting to get on my neves.
Firstly I would like to let everyone know that I am a beauty therapist and not a nailteck I had never evan used a uv light and before I got shellac. Wot I am finding on this site are that some people are exspecting some of us to know all about uv lights and curing wen some of us have had no trainng on uv lights now of course I have done my own reasearch for my self I evan paid to have one to one trainng on shallac and at no point in that training was the theory of uv lamps expliained to me it was just a pratiacal I am to this day unshure of wot exsacly happends in the curing prosess. Now
how the heck am I supposed to know that the base will cure whilst appying if iv never been told in fact on my training I was told because it won't dry till cured I could play with it a little more than a polish if this is not the case then I feel the money spent on training was a wast. The trainier I used was recommend by sweet squared. X x I am thankfull for everyone that has tried to help with this problem.

You have missed the point entirely.

Shellac base coat doesn't need to be 'played' with and cures in 10 seconds.

The Shellac colours you CAN play with longer as they take longer to cure ... simple? We need more time to 'play' with colour as you have to apply perfectly and with perfect perimeters etc but you can paint the base coat much more quickly.

One reason it may not have been covered in your class is that no one knew anyone was having a problem ... certainly most of us are not.

If applied by a good polisher (which I would expect most therapists and certainly nail technicians to be) there simply is no problem.

Your class was not a waste and now you have learned even more ..be thankful that CND educators are on hand to deal with the queries that come up here on the site instead of moaning about how some point was not covered on your class.

As to the theory of UV light ... maybe you should have asked some questions about that on your class if you are not a nail technician and do not understand that UV light cures Shellac and there is UV light in the air we breathe. Especially on a 121 class where th time its totally yours .. it is the time to ask questions if you have any.

Hopefully I have answered your questions and if you have more do not hesitate to contact me direct here on the site. :hug:

I'm sorry like I have said this to u before in a previous post if iv never worked with uv lights before I simply do not no wot questions I should ask I don't no wot I need to know about them. I am very thankfully I said that in my other post. Wen u right back I take it wot has been said and I try to apply the information lernt in my work but it hard nit to feel a bit anoyed coz most post u wright always blams the user never the product Witch is fine but how about blaming the suppiler for not educating there customers intead of making pleople feel stupid x U wrote So Using just that knowledge alone can you not figure out what is happening? No? Just take a little time to think about it? I thought this was harsh of course i can't figure out wot is happening or I wouldn't of asked the question no need to make me feel stupid for asking.

You can always cure, wipe with D-Sperse and then very lightly use a block buffer or a Girlfriend buffer (black side) to smooth and then continue as normal (having the tacky layer removed will not affect the performance of Shellac in the slightest).

Oh thats a good thing to note, i was actually quite tempted to do this last night but I had thought that I couldnt remove the tacky layer, helpful if I have in fact contaminated my bottle :eek: (thankfully its nearly at the end and i have a new bottle waiting, i wont be making the same mistakes). Think i'll call my friend back and tell her i'll redo them. Thanks for the advice

Oh come on!! To be fair I think I can say with full confidence that weezie was just being amusing ... where has everyone's sense of humour gone these days eh? :hug:

Thank you, To be fair I knew I might be in trouble for saying it but I couldn't resist.:eek: I've slapped my own wrists! I know Shellac has been causing much excitement on the forum so I should have known better!

I totally understand where you are coming from Chazz. I think when people have a lot of experience in anything they can sometimes forget what it was like being a newbie with little experience. I have done all of my training with CND which has been great but I think it is only human that a trainer cannot remember to tell you everything and trainees are not able to think of every question to ask during training. I do still pester my trainer with questions and queries which she seems fine with. I actually had some emails through my website regarding the problem I am having with the base coat from nail techs who also have the same problem but don't wish to highlight it on this forum as they are concerned about the responses they might get. I think it's a real shame that people feel they can't be open and ask for help when that is one of the purposes of the forum.

Anyway I have done a few sets of Shellac with the new base coat I have and it still has speckles but I can work around it. When I get my next bottle I will be testing it straight away with one single stroke to see if the problem still exists.

Hey Weezie, We'll let you off this time :lol:

Im really shocked how a simple question that needs a simple answer has ended up. i thought this site was for us geeks to ask questions to find answers to problems that we are finding with our systems, and to share knowledege and expertise, the obvious is not always obvious to everyone (especially me LOL)

Im really shocked how a simple question that needs a simple answer has ended up. i thought this site was for us geeks to ask questions to find answers to problems that we are finding with our systems, and to share knowledege and expertise, the obvious is not always obvious to everyone (especially me LOL)
I'm so glad some people are on my wave length. I think a lot of the problems people are having with regards to shellac could be solved if the company suppliying gave a little more info on there websites Eg that the CND lamp are compulsery. And pehaps and trouble shooting guide.
if it wasn't for this site I would have given up using it. Wen I ordered it they said if u can paint a nail you can use shellac well I can paint a nail but have had lots of problems with shellac from having the wrong lamp ( u shouldn't be allowed to buy without the lamp says nothing of this on website and was not offered over the phone) to bubbles to it being a bit see through to chiping to early not using d sperse ( if youve never used a gel before ever y would u even think of asking for something to wipe a sticky layer off with. It should be sold as a whole kit on your first order or at least have a list of the products that will be needed. Then people know wot they need without having to ask questions they wouldn't know to ask. And having to spend a small fortune ringing a 0845 number to get answers. And endless delivery charges everytime u find out you've not got something you need. That u want told u would need. Phew rant over sorry it was so long but it getting me really work up people having a go coz they no something u don't.

I hate to be killjoy to your rant..but it does say quite clearly you need the shellac lamp or the old brisa lamp on the website. (how long that has been there not sure)

Too be honest if your going to invest in a product and don't know alot about it, then you should have asked more questions, that would be the normal thing to do.

A proper kit is wot is needed it should inclue the following
shellac salon rack
scrub fresh
acetone
lint free wipes
the remover wraps
d sparse
the CND lamp
proper instructions
everything that a normal beauty therapist that does only natural nails would need for
shellac but wouldnt have for a natural nail
client. Do there is no confusion on wot u need to have a no extra delivery charges wen u relise u don't have eveyting u need coz u didn't no u needed it till u started using it. X x

Hi im going to say a few things now yes the shellac base coat is leaving bits on the nail plate which are only visible when using the paler colours ie strawberry and iced cappacino. I am getting very frustrated with sweet squared as they never have anything in stock and continually find an excuse for this. I dont think they realise we are all trying to make a living and cant if we dont have the correct tools of the trade.

I also think that selling products to 'nail tecks' that are not creative trained is damaging their reputation and not helping the genuine creative trained nail technitions out there. I have people doing minx for £15 and applying it with a hair dryer near me and sweet squared are selling minx and shellac to these people its a disgrace.

Im sick of the excuses and im sure im only saying what a lot of you are thinking and dare not say!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I get that part
But there are enough posts on here from pre-launch to now.

Now everytime there is a shellac question on here somebody gives you the free advise you wanted and everyone else...it's that person's free time to give you these answers they don't have too, so a little bit of please and thank-you wouldn't go a miss x

I asked a lot of questions wen I got it a pehaps I should of asked more but the suppler could just make it more simple and provide the info you need incase there was a vitle question not asked. At the time I brought it there was no mention of needing the lamp on the website. They could evan make it better by putting everything u need for the treatment under the shellac heading lots of thing that are needing are in differnt sections they could just have a simple list of other products that will be needed to carry out the treatment correctly. X then commen sence should take over and u get everything recomeded and then be it on your head if u choose to ingnore the advice given x

Latest posts

Back