Shellac Base Coat has speckles in it ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinkyPinky

Reaction score
OK, I thought it was down to my application that I was seeing tiny specks in shellac. I then realised when I was using a nail disk to display some colours without the base coat that there were no specs at all. I painted a tip with just the base coat and looked under my lamp and could see tiny specs of something. I thought it must be my base coat gone funny and ordered a new one. BUT the new base coat is exactly the same, tiny specs :cry: Does anyone else have this problem? or know what is causing it? I have a home studio and my products never leave my room which is cool and they are left in my drawer which is dark and I never leave the lids off. I have tried shaking them harder but it doesn't make any difference. I wanted to post on here before I speak to Sweet Squared to see if it's possible that it's anything I could be doing. I don't see how it could be but you never know!

Hi - are they tiny black colour? If so I have that too - only in the base coat though too.:confused:

No they aren't black or coloured, just like tiny bumps, smaller than a pin head.

I think I'm having the same problem. I was putting it down to me somehow getting cotton wool fluff in the bottle somehow evan tho I use lint free pads. U can bearly see them untill I put a colour on then they all show up but its in the base coat and it makes the polish a but bumpy I go really anoyed the other day wen I didn't notice the bumps till it had already cured and and so had to soke off and start again. X

Yep that's it, you can only see them once you put the colour on top. You can see them if you really study the base coat under a lamp. It is very annoying, I have had to do the same thing and take some nails off and start again !!!

Where are you working - do you sit under a window - it is possible that if your bottle is exposed to the light that tiny bits of the basecoat are curing in the bottle and then you are brushing them on to the nail.

We all underestimate the curing powers of the sun whilst working and I can tell you that I have had a whole pot of gel cure before my very eyes from the sun coming in the skylight window above my desk.

It may be a long shot, but it is possible.

I work in a room that has no direct sunlight and my products never leave the room. The base and top coat are kept in a drawer under my table. I work under a lamp of course but the bottle is only open while I paint 5 nails and the bottle is left on the other side of my table when the UV lamp is on with the top screwed on. :sad:

I have this too. the bottle I got first I noticed it in more, but I noticed it straight away, I think it must just be how it is, I too thought it was me at first,

I've got the same problem, I thought like the previous poster that I had got some fluff or dust in the product, its driving me slightly mad!

I've got the same problem, I thought like the previous poster that I had got some fluff or dust in the product, its driving me slightly mad!

ditto to the above! Lets hope we get to the bottom of it. I notice is most on the thumb nails as its a bigger area and also on others nails when applying colour. I had to remove the colour before it was cured and buff the cured base coat. I have even resorted to using kitchen roll to wipe the nails to make sure there is no chance of "Fluff".
Maybe it needs to be applied a bit thicker?

I have this too. the bottle I got first I noticed it in more, but I noticed it straight away, I think it must just be how it is, I too thought it was me at first,

I've been thinking its fluff! At least I can be happy i've not contaminated my bottle with fluff as i thought i had!

Mine are not kept in the sunlight ither. I know the power of the sun can eaisly cure shellac as I had a bottle of it in the cup holder in my car taking it home and it leaked I thought I'd leave it and clean it up the next day and it's cured with a load of pennies undeneath it don't no the beat way to get it off lol
I mite ring sweet squared 2moz and find out wot it could be coz I just tried out a new bottle that has been in the draw and it happing to that one to so it can't be fluff x

I wonder if this is the reason there is a shortage of base coat? Maybe a fault was discovered early on and a large amount of the base coat stock had to be sent back to manufacturers?

Mine has tiny grains in my base coat too but i read one of your earlier posts emms about you having to 'shake the ass out of it' or you get these tiny grains, so i thought it was normal and i had to shake it really well.
I do shake now but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I am glad it's not just me. I was made to feel quite inadequate when I questioned why there were what I called bubbles in my finished Shellac nails on a post I made a while back. I was told not to blame it on the product and that it must be my application. It makes me not want to ask things sometimes but I am glad I did as it obviously isn't my fault in this case!

Also noticed this problem but more so the thinner I apply the coat.

I know in application it is 'thin to win' but I have avoided the speckles by making the base coat just a tiny bit thicker.

I also thought it was me contaminating the bottle.

Thought it was just me! Not every time and not every nail but has been driving me mad. I'll definitely be trying a thicker base coat tomorrow! x

Anyone got any news on this problem?
There appears to be an explanation on the CND web page.
I have contacted my supplier but as yet not had a reply.

Also noticed this problem but more so the thinner I apply the coat.

I know in application it is 'thin to win' but I have avoided the speckles by making the base coat just a tiny bit thicker.

I also thought it was me contaminating the bottle.

I have to totally agree with Skymark. I had these problems and thought, it was either lint, from my lint free wipes:irked: or that I had somehow contaminated the bottle. However I spent ages trying to work out what it was, and it appears to me, it is when it is applied too thinly. It will usually appear where your last brush stroke was, or if you go over what you have already applied, as you are then wiping it off, iygwim! Just don´t go too far the other way and laddle the product on. Since trialing this, I have not had any problems with this. Hth:)

I emailed Samantha at Sweet Squared about this a few days ago so I will post an update with any reply. I have been applying it slightly thicker which seems to help but I don't want to be wasting product when it should be applied thin, thin, thin!

Latest posts

Back